My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof

Raymo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This post is mainly for bronco sport buyers who are debating a moonroof. Take the drawbacks into consideration.

Unfortunately, I had to opt in to the moonroof, because I wanted everything else in the badlands package. I really wish the option to get badlands package without the moonroof was available at launch.

IMO, the pros do not outweigh the cons.
  • The weight of the moon roof reduces the weight capacity for rooftop accessories from 150lbs to 100lbs. This limits the options available by quite a lot.
  • When full open, the moon roof actually raises up above the roof rails quite a bit, forcing you to use roof racks that sit a lot higher off the roof rails.
  • The moon roof doesn’t open all the way. Not a huge deal, honestly.
I’d still get the badlands package with moonroof if forced, but if I had the option, I’d avoid the moonroof.
Sponsored

Legin2000

Badlands
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't think the moon roof does reduce the rooftop accessories.
  1. The owner's manual says the 100 lb limit is for the "panoramic roof"
  2. I've seen pictures of the panoramic roof and it's a much larger creature than the moon roof
  3. The Bronco Sport configuration tool will allow you to configure a BS with Badlands package (which includes the moon roof) plus the Yakima roof tent (that's 101 lbs tent + 35 lbs cross bars)

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
  2. I've seen pictures of the panoramic roof and it's a much larger creature than the moon roof
  3. The Bronco Sport configuration tool will allow you to configure a BS with Badlands package (which includes the moon roof) plus the Yakima roof tent (that's 101 lbs tent + 35 lbs cross bars)
There is a panoramic roof option?

mountainkim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport
This post is mainly for bronco sport buyers who are debating a moonroof. Take the drawbacks into consideration.

Unfortunately, I had to opt in to the moonroof, because I wanted everything else in the badlands package. I really wish the option to get badlands package without the moonroof was available at launch.

IMO, the pros do not outweigh the cons.
  • The weight of the moon roof reduces the weight capacity for rooftop accessories from 150lbs to 100lbs. This limits the options available by quite a lot.
  • When full open, the moon roof actually raises up above the roof rails quite a bit, forcing you to use roof racks that sit a lot higher off the roof rails.
  • The moon roof doesn’t open all the way. Not a huge deal, honestly.
I’d still get the badlands package with moonroof if forced, but if I had the option, I’d avoid the moonroof.
Any idea if the Yakima Timberline roof rail kit interferes with the moonroof?

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
MEH - I have a BB with BB package on order. At the time, the only way to get heated seats (I live in NY and once had a rental with this option and it is really nice) was to get the BB package with moonroof (that has since changed) I have decided to keep the BB package with moonroof in place as I would like to spoil myself. 32 years ago, out of college, I ordered my first new vehicle... and 1989 Mustang GT with a moonroof. They were large one piece moonroofs back then - they flipped up manually and one could unfasten and remove it and place in back in a in a storage bag. My vehicles after that didn't have a moonroof. Now that I am 53 years old, I like the idea that I can flick a button and have the sunshade and or moonroof open for me. If I need higher raised racks to put on my kayak or canoe on it from time to time...so be it. My fat @ss is not camping 6 feet in the air on top of my Bronco Sport. If I need to camp, I will set up a tent on the ground so I am not worrying about weight or falling out of the thing. ?

Last edited:

Legin2000

Badlands
First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There is a panoramic roof option?
Perhaps what I saw was on another vehicle; however, a panoramic sunroof goes from front to back. The moon roof only covers the driver and passenger seats. The rear seats have a reinforced metal roof.

Cap

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Cap

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes, Ford advertises the Yakima 101 lbs tent on the BS-Badlands but not sure if it has moonroof option that comes automatic with leather seats . i would love to know dynamic roof capacity rating with moonroof? I tried to contact Ford HO to confirm but to no avail.
Note, ford BS manual states roof capacity as “on top of crossbars” with or without panoramic roof...but no Bronco has a “panoramic roof”!
Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof EAD4C5F3-0835-43E9-9836-5692F795C541

Last edited:

mountainkim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport
Just opened my moon roof. It pokes up a little above the stock rack rail. I would expect with the cross rail risers you would be okay.
Thank you for checking! My BL/BL has finally been built and shipped after 6ish months, so I'll get to test it out myself sometime soon!

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
MEH - I have a BB with BB package on order. At the time, the only way to get heated seats (I live in NY and once had a rental with this option and it is really nice) was to get the BB package with moonroof (that has since changed) I have decided to keep the BB package with moonroof in place as I would like to spoil myself. 32 years ago, out of college, I ordered my first new vehicle... and 1989 Mustang GT with a moonroof. They were were large one piece moonroofs back then - they flipped up manually and one could unfasten and remove it and place in back in a in a storage bag. My vehicles after that didn't have a moonroof. Now that I am 53 years old, I like the idea that I can flick a button and have the sunshade and or moonroof open for me. If I need higher raised racks to put on my kayak or canoe on it from time to time...so be it. My fat @ss is not camping 6 feet in the air on top of my Bronco Sport. If I need to camp, I will set up a tent on the ground so I am not worrying about weight or falling out of the thing. ?
I love the moonroof, but I use mine a ton.

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

BillVT

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, F150
We ordered our OB without the OB package. Up here in almost Canada we had an Escape with a moon roof and found it hot in the summer and covered it in winter. When we did open it, we'd forget to close it with ensuing issues later. We'll miss the charging pad but it wasn't worth $1,500 for the upgraded speakers and a moon roof we did not want.
Sponsored