My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground.

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It’s important to remember that even though these are marketed as off-roader SUVs, they are not. They are re-branded, re-badged Ford Escapes. They are cars. They are Broncos only in name. The most they are equipped to deal with are dirt roads and slight inclines. It’s important to know the car’s limitations. If you go to the Bronco 6G forum you will see plenty of pictures of BS having to be towed away because the owners thought they were something that they aren’t.
Sponsored

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It’s important to remember that even though these are marketed as off-roader SUVs, they are not. They are re-branded, re-badged Ford Escapes. They are cars. They are Broncos only in name. The most they are equipped to deal with are dirt roads and slight inclines. It’s important to know the car’s limitations. If you go to the Bronco 6G forum you will see plenty of pictures of BS having to be towed away because the owners thought they were something that they aren’t.
Thank you for the tip. I am aware of that.
I really know the limits thats why I am living to tell the story.

Ford Bronco Sport My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground. 20211227_171000

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
From what I can see, it also doesn't look like you let much air out of the tires. That alone will give you more surface area and grip. The only close up I noticed they look full.

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From what I can see, it also doesn't look like you let much air out of the tires. That alone will give you more surface area and grip. The only close up I noticed they look full.
23 psi rear 22psi front

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Big bends are essentially AWD escapes, not to shit in the capabilities of the vehicle or anything (hell, I have a big bend myself) but I think your ecpectations are a little too much.
If you want to rock crawl get a big bronco or at the very least a bronco sport badlands with the advanced 4x4 system.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Source: OB Owner.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I've spent a lot of time over there and I haven't seen any of that.
I've seen lots of big Broncos with blown up engines and some with broken tie rods getting towed away.

All the YouTube videos, this forum, and Bronco6g I've not seen a BS break and get towed off a trail.

Last edited:

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've spent a lot of time over there and I haven't seen any of that.
I've seen lots of big Broncos with blown up engines and some with broken tie rods getting towed away.

All the YouTube videos, this forum, and Bronco6g I've not seen a BS break and get towed off a trail.
Ford Bronco Sport My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground. E4D1762A-19F9-4A2D-A5D2-F866A3E4EEF5

I have. And the blown engines thing comes with the territory - we’re talking about Ford, after all.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Right. Goes back to what I was saying. These things can’t do anything beyond what a CRV can do. They are cars marketed as Broncos.
They're marketed as BroncoSports. And a person taking a narrow tired car into a sand dune, is by definition an idiot. That said the car is still more capable than a CRV especially the Badlands version. In particular there is one comparison done by a well known car magazine and posted on here, I forget the name of the magazine thats why I don't mention it, that compares the off roadier version of the RAV4 and the Badlands with a base Wrangler and the RAV4 wasn't in the same league.

You're also stating the BroncoSport isn't as capable as the Bronco...yes this is true its not as capable offroad as a Bronco, wasn't designed to be. If you feel mislead by Ford advertising cool, I never got that impression. The advertising that I saw informed me its good at car camping and light trails, not rock crawling and sand dunes.

Last edited:

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Right. Goes back to what I was saying. These things can’t do anything beyond what a CRV can do. They are cars marketed as Broncos.
Well I guess at least it looks different.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
What can we Big Bend owners expect in a few inches of snow, leave us stranded when the 4wd disables itself?

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What can we Big Bend owners expect in a few inches of snow, leave us stranded when the 4wd disables itself?
I think snow mode works different, maybe the system knows it wont hurt the diff or the axles.