Mud Recovery - Rear mounted winch?

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Can I temporarily mount a winch to the rear hitch on this thing for when the trails around here are boggy during the summer?

I'm not sure how towing capacity plays in to this, but I assume it'd be ok?
Sponsored

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Can I temporarily mount a winch to the rear hitch on this thing for when the trails around here are boggy during the summer?

I'm also interested in the replies you get.

Does a 2200 Lb. towing capacity mean the hitch mount can only handle 2200 Lbs. plus a few hundred Lbs. safety factor? The Bronco Sport curb weight is listed as 3,467 to 3,707 lbs.

I was hoping to add a Superwinch Winch 2 Go to my off road "Bring Along" list for the same reason you mentioned.

Ford Bronco Sport Mud Recovery - Rear mounted winch? Superwinch

OP
OP

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4

Does a 2200 Lb. towing capacity mean the hitch mount can only handle 2200 Lbs. plus a few hundred Lbs. safety factor? The Bronco Sport curb weight is listed as 3,467 to 3,707 lbs.

I was hoping to add a Superwinch Winch 2 Go to my off road "Bring Along" list for the same reason you mentioned.

Yea I'm not planning on going mudding or trying to get stuck in the mud.... but I also need a way out if I DO get stuck. We spend a bunch of time on the dryer trails in the everglades.... but "drier" sure as hell doesnt mean dry.

OP
OP

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4

Oh yea this thing looks pretty great. So you just strap it to a tree or whatever? Very nice. Love that its all in one portable package.

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Oh yea this thing looks pretty great. So you just strap it to a tree or whatever? Very nice. Love that its all in one portable package.

It's pretty slick. Comes with a pully, clevises, straps, even gloves. Steel or synthetic cable. You can check it out here Amazon Superwinch.

I plan on relying mostly on recovery boards but this would be great to have in a worst case scenario.

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would imagine that aftermarket companies are working in lots of options for the BS.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Towing capacity is exactly what it says... the gross amount a vehicle can safely tow.... theres a bunch of factors that go into this... weight distribution, tongue weight.. etc...

I personally (depending on how a hitch is attached to the frame) would generally feel comfortable using a tow hitch as a recovery point if needed in most situations... but that is a personal HOWEVER the bronco has a recovery point on the rear (right side i believe) theres a little plastic piece on the bumper that can pop off. Behind it is a threaded spot for a a hook or eye. youd just need to get that and you have a factory designated spot righ there....

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Love the idea...just remember it will need a power source... it wouldnt be too difficult to have it ounted on a receiver and again... i personally would do it if necessary ... but thats a personal call.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
so...perhaps this is a perspective. I would GUESS...towing capacity has more to do with power output and strain on the motor/transmission...am I thinking clearly? What you are describing would put a net zero on the motor/trans as far as the winch. In fact if the vehicle is bogged, the slip in the front and rears would result in tire/axle spin. I am guessing...a tow mounted winch would work, the only risk being the capability of the tow system welding/connection. The old bronco in my photo, was used and abused pulling out tree stumps, TV antenna concrete base, etc. I am guessing, and yeah it was a far different vehicle. The sheer load and static force on that hitch was WELL beyond 2200 pounds with a hard throttle snap. Not sure if that makes sense.

this guy makes it look easy

Last edited:

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
so...perhaps this is a perspective. I would GUESS...towing capacity has more to do with power output and strain on the motor/transmission...am I thinking clearly? What you are describing would put a net zero on the motor/trans as far as the winch. In fact if the vehicle is bogged, the slip in the front and rears would result in tire/axle spin. I am guessing...a tow mounted winch would work, the only risk being the capability of the tow system welding/connection. The old bronco in my photo, was used and abused pulling out tree stumps, TV antenna concrete base, etc. I am guessing, and yeah it was a far different vehicle. The sheer load and static force on that hitch was WELL beyond 2200 pounds with a hard throttle snap. Not sure if that makes sense.

this guy makes it look easy
I think you have it... but basically towing capacity would be you trying to pull out a tree. The winch pull capacity would be it trying to pull out the vehicle... neither have anything to do with the actual hitch... now... there are hitch classes... im not 100% sure what class comes in tow package ... but class 2 is around 350 tongue weight and 3500 tow and class 3 is around 800tongue and 5000tow ... tongue weight being the actual amount of downward weight on the ball basically... in any event... if i was alone and stuck. Id try a shovel and boards... and it that failed id use a hitch mounted winch if i had one... just pop it onrun the power cables ... and make sure i had a remote cord that could reach the driver window ... throw it in reverse ... and slowly get out..

Id say in most occasions... save some whoops events ... if you realize youre stuck ... if you dont dig yourself down to high centered it doesnt take a whole lot of help to get unstuck... at least thats my experience... once you dig yourself into a hole it s gonna get rough.
Hope i answered that but i think you have the idea.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Thinking more about it... with a little measuring and maybe sme ingenuity... you could probably find 2 spots to attach chains or straps ... so that the actual hitch was basically just holding the winch up and the chains/straps were pulling the vehicle.... id have to look under a little better

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I think you have it... but basically towing capacity would be you trying to pull out a tree. The winch pull capacity would be it trying to pull out the vehicle... neither have anything to do with the actual hitch... now... there are hitch classes... im not 100% sure what class comes in tow package ... but class 2 is around 350 tongue weight and 3500 tow and class 3 is around 800tongue and 5000tow ... tongue weight being the actual amount of downward weight on the ball basically... in any event... if i was alone and stuck. Id try a shovel and boards... and it that failed id use a hitch mounted winch if i had one... just pop it onrun the power cables ... and make sure i had a remote cord that could reach the driver window ... throw it in reverse ... and slowly get out..

Id say in most occasions... save some whoops events ... if you realize youre stuck ... if you dont dig yourself down to high centered it doesnt take a whole lot of help to get unstuck... at least thats my experience... once you dig yourself into a hole it s gonna get rough.
Hope i answered that but i think you have the idea.
Sport with tow package is class 2 rated to 2000 (2200 badlands) pounds, what I am visualizing is similar to the video. The hitch mount winch is just using the hitch as an anchor point. While in some capacity it is taking on the load of the GVW...it's not. Except in deep rescue, the down force or tounge weight is negligible. To me this is the basic tow hooks scenario, the question to me is the rating/max pull/force on the hitch itself. The vehicle isn't using it's trans or engine to rescue, the winch is assisting. As stated, so long as you keep tire spin close to vehicle movement speed, it shouldn't compound. The guy even makes a point, it's probably best to just put the trans in neutral and let the winch do the work. I'm thinking the hitch winch wouldn't matter vs. trailer rating. I'd say asking someone who uses 4x rescue a LOT is the best course of action. To me this seems obvious. You aren't towing anything, you are using a frame point for assist.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
folks, a class 2 hitch is rated at 3,500#/350tw# no mater what truck it's bolted to. add to that it's the same C2 chassis as the Escape which is rated for 3,500#.
anyway you're not gonna lift your truck, you're gonna drag it. if you're going bogging take a friend with a tractor.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Using a snatch block will reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. Run the winch thru the block back to you car, this way the full weight is on anchor point.
Ford Bronco Sport Mud Recovery - Rear mounted winch? Screenshot_20210818-112419
Ford Bronco Sport Mud Recovery - Rear mounted winch? Screenshot_20210818-112337
Sponsored