Nate-b

Badlands
First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Im sure this question has been answered. But , what is everyone getting for MPG with 245/65/17 on badlands 2.0l.? Trying to decide if i want to size up nor not.
Sponsored

LowGun84

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I only have a tank on mine but mixed highway and city, I averaged 24.5. With 2 thousand miles on my bronco total, I hope it will get a little better but anywhere around 25 ill be happy with.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have 245/65/17 tires on my Badlands. No real difference in mpg. You get much more difference in mileage with the way you drive or with the road conditions. Maybe with BFG K02's you could notice something, they are on the heavier side in relation to some of the other manufacturers.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I was getting 26mpg combined with the Scorpion ATRs. Seems like I'm losing 1-2mpg with the Scorpion AT+ but until I finish this tank of gas and do the hand calculations I won't know for sure. With the speedometer/odometer being off due to the tire size increase I'm sure the trip computer MPG reading is off too.

OP
OP
Nate-b

Nate-b

Badlands
First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
thanks for the input.

VestigeOfHope

Badlands
First Name
Bryndon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Overall I have about 23.7 mpg at 4k miles. Though my trip counter tends to read around 24 to 25 mpg. My commutes run about 60% freeway / 40% city. Unfortunately I also drive a lot during prime traffic hours, so that doesn't help.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I lost about 1 MPG going from 225 to 245's.
I was back and forth between 235-245.
Definitely happy with my decision. No noticeable loss in engine power and the shifting seems to be smoother.

trav143213

Base
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
6k miles and sitting at a steady 21.5 mpg in a base model. I ride using economy 90% of the time. 50/50 highway and city miles. I'm thinking this is rather low compared to other reports on here... What do you think?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
6k miles and sitting at a steady 21.5 mpg in a base model. I ride using economy 90% of the time. 50/50 highway and city miles. I'm thinking this is rather low compared to other reports on here... What do you think?
Two questions:
  1. What is your typical highway speed?
  2. How much of your city driving is short trips on a cold engine?
These cars are pretty much the opposite of "aerodynamic," so highway speeds above 70 mph will have a big effect on fuel economy. Further, as a long-time Ford EcoBoost owner I can say with certainty these engines run very rich when cold. Frequent short trips around town where the engine doesn't have the opportunity to fully warm up will have a bigger negative impact on fuel economy than just about any other factor.

Last edited:

DeepSea

Outer Banks
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I can’t answer for real world applications since I have a 1.5l outer banks but here’s how physics should be effected (someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong):

Factory Wheels:
225/60R18, OD 28.6299”

Your Upgrade:
245/65R17, OD 29.5394”

that’s a 1.03% increase in outer diameter. Your speed will be higher than the speedo says. Your mileage will be lower than your odometer says. Your mpg’s should not change unless you recalibrate your BCM/ECU to the larger diameter wheels. Actual mpg’s depend on too many factors (surface area, durometer, road/weather conditions, etc.) but I would suspect lower mpg’s based on the assumptions that you would be adding all-terrain tires on a vehicle used primarily on paved roads.
Sponsored