Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First 2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hello to all the Bronco Sport members,

I have been in Detroit and out on locations for several weeks with the MAD Bronco Sport and busy working on new projects.

Please ask away on this, I should be able to respond in a day depending on projects and locations we are working.

I will respond to a few questions
4Wheel Parts Lift and Level
At the current time the Prototype lift which in the 2nd generation based on our testing and driving the vehicle limited amount of time on and off-road.

I have provided many aspects of what we wanted out of this kit.

Ability to adjust front strut for alignment which was the first change that was made to the 2nd gen.

1" front and rear equally

Front
2 piece adjustable front space that goes between strut hat and Strut tower with extended length bolts.

Rear
2 spacers lower under spring with custom lower shock extension bracket and extra Bolt.

We were successful at alignment,
FYI If you go to the alignment shop they most likely will not have specs in the computer yet best to have aligned at a dealer or old school with new school alignment techniques.

We aligned ourselves.

The next question will be how did it drive. Awesome retained O.E. movement and comfort levels

Tire Size this 245/65R17 mounted on a 17x8 wheel with a plus 35 min with no fender flares now I am a perfectionist at the fitment of wheels and tires along with partners to have a custom wheel and offsets made. +35 is great with O.E. fenders

I test fitted 3 tire sizes with the 1" lift and my offset the 245/65R17 fit and did not rub at all driving off-road in Sedona not once this is a 29.5 OD MAX FYI the more aggressive K03 will rub

The tires on those marketing vehicles you see and mention on OE wheels will rub period.

If you purchase the Air Design fender flares +38mm is better and if you can stagger event better but most people do not go the extend I do on fitment.

James T is correct the hardest part was determining the correct level lift as we have a trailer load and we had to emulate the weight in the Cargo area and receiver to come with a 1/4 higher rear end once the cargo, roof, and trailer loads were done. Remember I did this in 3 weeks with no trailer and cargo along with roof gear. It worked out perfect

Any direct emails please again send them to [email protected] be patient.

I know everyone is excited to get their Bronco Sports and worth the wait.

We are extremely happy with the Bronco Sports capabilities, size, comport inside and performance of the 2.0L Badlands.

Best
Chris Mangum
MAD Industries
We are now Arizona based company
Ford Bronco Sport More info on MAD Bronco Sport SEMA build directly from MAD Industries Sullivan_20201028_5390-1_TC
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MAD Industries

MAD Industries

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick question was everyone all happy with our segment of the 1st night and the Q&A please let me know.

I care about the designs along with followers that we understand others would like to do some of the modification/upfit and hope to inspire potential owners with what we do.

We build vehicles you can drive.

Chris Mangum
MAD Industries

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Quick question was everyone all happy with our segment of the 1st night and the Q&A please let me know.

I care about the designs along with followers that we understand others would like to do some of the modification/upfit and hope to inspire potential owners with what we do.

We build vehicles you can drive.

Chris Mangum
MAD Industries
Chris, it was a great segment, very informative to actually hear direct from you, the company that did the project. It is so encouraging to hear you say "We build vehicles you can drive" as so often we hear "forget about ride quality" if you lift the vehicle.

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco

I have been in Detroit and out on locations for several weeks with the MAD Bronco Sport and busy working on new projects.

Please ask away on this, I should be able to respond in a day depending on projects and locations we are working.

I will respond to a few questions
4Wheel Parts Lift and Level
At the current time the Prototype lift which in the 2nd generation based on our testing and driving the vehicle limited amount of time on and off-road.

I have provided many aspects of what we wanted out of this kit.

Ability to adjust front strut for alignment which was the first change that was made to the 2nd gen.

1" front and rear equally

Front
2 piece adjustable front space that goes between strut hat and Strut tower with extended length bolts.

Rear
2 spacers lower under spring with custom lower shock extension bracket and extra Bolt.

We were successful at alignment,
FYI If you go to the alignment shop they most likely will not have specs in the computer yet best to have aligned at a dealer or old school with new school alignment techniques.

We aligned ourselves.

The next question will be how did it drive. Awesome retained O.E. movement and comfort levels

Tire Size this 245/65R17 mounted on a 17x8 wheel with a plus 35 min with no fender flares now I am a perfectionist at the fitment of wheels and tires along with partners to have a custom wheel and offsets made. +35 is great with O.E. fenders

I test fitted 3 tire sizes with the 1" lift and my offset the 245/65R17 fit and did not rub at all driving off-road in Sedona not once this is a 29.5 OD MAX FYI the more aggressive K03 will rub

The tires on those marketing vehicles you see and mention on OE wheels will rub period.

If you purchase the Air Design fender flares +38mm is better and if you can stagger event better but most people do not go the extend I do on fitment.

James T is correct the hardest part was determining the correct level lift as we have a trailer load and we had to emulate the weight in the Cargo area and receiver to come with a 1/4 higher rear end once the cargo, roof, and trailer loads were done. Remember I did this in 3 weeks with no trailer and cargo along with roof gear. It worked out perfect

Any direct emails please again send them to [email protected] be patient.

I know everyone is excited to get their Bronco Sports and worth the wait.

We are extremely happy with the Bronco Sports capabilities, size, comport inside and performance of the 2.0L Badlands.

Best
Chris Mangum
MAD Industries
We are now Arizona based company
Chris, Thank you so much for taking time to post to the forum and giving us insight into your awesome project lift. It is outstanding to hear the lift allowed you to retain the O.E. movement and comfort levels. I have a few questions please.

Control Arm & CV Joint Angles:
How were the finished angles as far as their impact on the longevity and wear of the parts based on your experience?

Dealer Installed Accessory & Warranty:
It has been discussed that having your Ford dealer install things like lift kits will keep your full factory warranty intact so we can avoid some of the Jeep dealer games of rejecting warranty claims due to lifts? It seemed in the video Ford was reluctant to commit to selling these so now I'm concerned our Ford dealers will reject warranty claims on anything remotely related to the lift?

4Wheel Parts Lift and Level:
Do you know if 4Wheel Parts is committed to selling a kit for this application? Do you expect this to be produced by someone like Daystar?

Custom Offset Wheels:
Is this going to be necessary? Do you think there will be any aftermarket wheels with the correct offset? Or could we just use the factory wheels with spacers?

Thank you again for your time and insight.

Last edited by a moderator:

OP
OP
MAD Industries

MAD Industries

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris, Thank you so much for taking time to post to the forum and giving us insight into your awesome project lift. It is outstanding to hear the lift allowed you to retain the O.E. movement and comfort levels. I have a few questions please.

Control Arm & CV Joint Angles:
How were the finished angles as far as their impact on the longevity and wear of the parts based on your experience?

Dealer Installed Accessory & Warranty:
It has been discussed that having your Ford dealer install things like lift kits will keep your full factory warranty intact so we can avoid some of the Jeep dealer games of rejecting warranty claims due to lifts? It seemed in the video Ford was reluctant to commit to selling these so now I'm concerned our Ford dealers will reject warranty claims on anything remotely related to the lift?

4Wheel Parts Lift and Level:
Do you know if 4Wheel Parts is committed to selling a kit for this application? Do you expect this to be produced by someone like Daystar?

Custom Offset Wheels:
Is this going to be necessary? Do you think there will be any aftermarket wheels with the correct offset? Or could we just use the factory wheels with spacers?

Thank you again for your time and insight.
4Wheel Technicians and engineers took into consideration the Control arm and CV joint angles during the R&D and have this on their radar, with the lift height of 1" we look at our project at the full drop angle and we had a free rotation with no binding or any concern to take out and drive the Bronco Sport in Sedona.

Like I mentioned warranty is a question for the dealerships.

4Wheel parts informed me they will finalize the lift and level, I have reached out to 4 wheel parts today to find out the current status to provide an accurate response directly from the source.

Fifteen 52 I have also emailed to find out an eta on providing the Travers wheel you see on the MAD Bronco Sport and will also look to have a response directly from Fifteen 52.

Regards
Chris Mangum
MAD Industries

We did not attempt that route so I can not respond actually to fitment with spacer on O.E. wheel.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I did enjoy your segment. While the MCs for the evening felt stilted, simply reading a script, you came across as genuine and relatable. I was especially encouraged by your report that it is a comfortable and good vehicle to drive. As such, it was the first sort of independent drive review we have had from anyone not employed by Ford.

As you requested, I will email you with three specific questions.

Wishing you all were a little closer to the Pacific Northwest :)

Thank you for what you do.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I might have missed the answer to this somewhere else, but what are the largest tires that can be put on the Bronco Sport w/o a lift? I'm assuming its the 235's offered as an option?

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I wrote to Chris @ MAD Industries with some specific questions about his build. He kindly answered me and said I could post his replies here.

Seems like you all in the Southwest are lucky to have him in your area!. Wish we had someone like that around the Pacific Northwest!

EXTERNAL PROTECTION

About fender flares

These are the Air Design USA Fender Flares (https://airdesignusa.com/). They test fitted the first set with me at our shop, made minor adjustments, and Billy Longfellow at Air Design USA informed me they have already shipped parts to stocking dealers that reach out to him on the website provided. The installation was simple and straightforward. The use adhesive tape with 3M Silicon along with additional clips into the O.E. Fender flare. We have used Air Designs product on several projects. They are very well engineered and top quality.

About ceramic paint protection

I did not use any ceramic coatings on the project. We tested ceramic coating a few years back and I am not a fan of the coating. For one reason, you cannot do any paint correction i.e. color sand and polish if you have any type of off road scaring from branches etc.

About bumper protection film (and protection film)

I am a big fan of paint protection film and use it on all of our projects. My personal daily driver MAD Raptor is completely wrapped with Nano Fusion Paint Protection film. I have used their film for over 10 years. It is self-healing and if you do get any damage you can pull it off and replace.

For the complete painted front of the MAD Bronco Sport, they installed hood, fenders along with door handle cups and headlights. See https://nano-fusionppf.com/

About Door moldings / Cladding

The door molding (Cladding) is also from Air Design USA (https://airdesignusa.com/) It should be available from FORD Dealers also

About splash guards

Splash guards do not work with the Air Design USA Fender flares as they have incorporated their own into the design of the overlay new Fender flares. FYI they may also reduce tire clearance.

LIGHT BAR AND RADIO

We used the Rigid 40" light bar.

I am a big Rigid Industries fan have teamed up them for years and have a lot of experience using their lights. We used this in Sedona as we ran out of daylight 40 min back on the fire road the SR Pro Combo provided so much light.

If you use the Yakima Lock N Load with their lighten Up brackets it’s a 30 min installation after the Lock N Load is installed

FYI, With the Lock N Load takes about 2 hours realistically with a help form a friend. It just depends on the assembly time of the Lock N Load. We have installed several and do this on large work bench.

The biggest challenge on Light bar is running the power cable. We went to the extreme as I personally dislike seeing wires and decided from the start the Lock N Load would remain on the vehicle so we did the following.
  1. Removed all the driver side interior side trim panels and dropped the headliner down.
  2. Removed the driver side roof rack. The bolts are on the inside under the rack. Hard to get to to access.
  3. Drilled a hole under the front cover area, channeled out an area in the front mount to allow wires to run inside the mount.
  4. Drilled matching hole in the ditch rail (Be very careful have a friend hold airbag and any other wires out of the way and go slow
  5. Ran the wire from the Rigid light into to cab, stay away from air bags as not to block on restrain operation down the a pillar into the side are of the dash. Use good grade silicone and grommet the pass through the roof sheet metal and silicone around wire both sides.
  6. Run power wires through the harness boot into the engine compartment that comes up right behind battery.
  7. Drill hole in lower dash kick cover to the right of steering wheel select location that has space behind it so you can reinstall cover drop in switch and re-assemble interior. I can provide photos of location when I get the Bronco Sport Back from Detroit
  8. This is a 4 hour project to do this way if you have done this before and unless you are very experienced may be better to hire someone that has this experience or the Dealer.
Or do as others do and leave exposed and run down with wire exposed next to windshield channel gap silicon on the back side under the windshield wiper cowl right into engine compartment. See our Yakima Ranger build image we did this was as they wanted the option to swap out the rack on roof. FYI Not our preferred way but was very clean.

About Mobile Radio and Antenna

I would run the wire to the rear driver side via under kick plates. It will take some time. Then run up to rear driver roof rack and do the same passing through roof and rack end mount. Then mount on Lock N Load.

MOON ROOF, PLATFORM, AND WEIGHT

My question: Many of us have gotten the Badlands with Badlands Package which includes a moonroof. Unfortunately, the moonroof reduces the dynamic weight for the roof to just 100-110 pounds. Given the relatively heavy weight of the LockNLoad (which you used in your build), would you recommend another option? I am included to just the Yakima crossbars and a basket.

Answer. The basic Yakima crossbars would be a great option to explore. Not sure how much this will help you with mounting Light bar and the Antenna.

On the MAD Build, we used
  • PLATFORM B (60"x54") Weight: 65.10 pounds
  • 40” Rigid SR Series Light Bar. Weight: 16 pounds
Total: 81 pounds

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
4Wheel Technicians and engineers took into consideration the Control arm and CV joint angles during the R&D and have this on their radar, with the lift height of 1" we look at our project at the full drop angle and we had a free rotation with no binding or any concern to take out and drive the Bronco Sport in Sedona.

Like I mentioned warranty is a question for the dealerships.

4Wheel parts informed me they will finalize the lift and level, I have reached out to 4 wheel parts today to find out the current status to provide an accurate response directly from the source.

Fifteen 52 I have also emailed to find out an eta on providing the Travers wheel you see on the MAD Bronco Sport and will also look to have a response directly from Fifteen 52.

Regards
Chris Mangum
MAD Industries

We did not attempt that route so I can not respond actually to fitment with spacer on O.E. wheel.
Chris,

This may be better to ask 4Wheel parts but:
1) Is the 1" lift the absolute limit to safely keep the OEM CV & axles? Any chance it of a 1.25, 1.5" lift?

2) I know from previous info that they used spacers, but is there any plans to develop taller/stiffer springs to get the same lift and possibly more loaded weight strength? Knowing that this would definitely change ride quality and possibly wear and tear on the CV/Axles.

Thanks for all of your answers!!!

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
That's a question for 4Wheel Parts, I emailed to see if they will jump on the Forum.

Regards
Chris Mangum
MAD Industries
Chris,
We know you are a busy guy... but any chance you have heard back from 4Wheel Parts?

Best Regards,
Excited Minions

OP
OP
MAD Industries

MAD Industries

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes just received an email they are working on a production kit and plan to install it on our Bronco Sport, soon they complete it. We will take it out for On-Highway and Off-Road testing and let everyone know how well the Sport Performs based on the current left by 4wheel parts it's only going to get even better. FYI No plans for any taller level lift.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan

Hi, did this tire fit in the trunk spare tire compartment?