Moonroof front edge rubber seal coming off?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anybody notice their rubber seal attached to the body, along the leading edge of the moonroof glass panel, coming detached? It looks like it's supposed to be adhered to the back edge of that little narrow, steel (painted) body panel that runs between the windshield and the moonroof. It should, I believe, ride over the top of that crevice, not fall down into it like mine has (and is also just flopping around in there).
Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof front edge rubber seal coming off? 2021 Badlands moonroof leading edge seal
Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof front edge rubber seal coming off? 2021 Badlands moonroof leading edge seal closeu
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hatter

Big Bend
First Name
SR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncho
I noticed a loud noise coming from the driver side of my sunroof about a month ago. My 2022 broncho is about 15 months old. I climbed on top today and noticed that the driver side seal seems to have a gap compared to the far edge of the passenger side. Your photos look similar to my broncho sport.

When I have the sunroof open and tap up and down on the wind deflector that springs up when the sunroof opens, it sounds just like the same noise I hear when driving the sport on the highway or at higher speeds around town.

I have an appointment at a dealer next week.

Last edited:

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
That happened to mine on my BB a couple of months back. I had the panel with the seal replaced under factory warranty back in early October. It made the extremely annoying low, rumbling vibrating noise when it achieved the resonant frequency from about 35 to 50 MPH. I hope that seal/adhesive doesn't fail again down the road as it won't fall under warranty and the panel alone with the seal attached was ~ $450 and the body shop needed it for a couple of days to do the replacement. Hopefully, they redesigned the part/adhesive.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Fingers crossed for you. At least you had this one replaced under warranty, and if the replacement fails, you may have a case to get it repaired for free once again, due to a poor design or install method.

SeaJay

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Sport, Area 51, Hitch, Assist++
So awful when this happens. An operable glass panel in the roof of a car is just an inherently bad idea. I fell for the feature on a CRV years ago and learned my lesson the hard way. One of the big reasons I ordered and waited for my moon-roofless OBX was because it was difficult to find one on a lot without the moonroof.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Mine started to do this with one of the strips below the glass, on the sides. One side of my front strip is not as well aligned as the other side, but it is still adhered. Shame they decided to stick the car together with tape instead of using attachment points, e.g. barbed plugs on these strips.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've had the car for almost two years with no problems. My first with moonroof and kinda like it. But if I was gonna buy it today, I wouldn't include the moonroof just to prevent these kind of issues for the future.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Anybody notice their rubber seal attached to the body, along the leading edge of the moonroof glass panel, coming detached? It looks like it's supposed to be adhered to the back edge of that little narrow, steel (painted) body panel that runs between the windshield and the moonroof. It should, I believe, ride over the top of that crevice, not fall down into it like mine has (and is also just flopping around in there).
Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof front edge rubber seal coming off? 2021 Badlands moonroof leading edge seal
Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof front edge rubber seal coming off? 2021 Badlands moonroof leading edge seal closeu
I have an early build 21 BL with 6,900 kilometres on the odometer. It will be out of warranty in 6 weeks and yesterday I noticed the passenger side of mine is peeling back about 2 inches. I can force it down but it pops back up. The driver side is a narrower gap and totally snug. I’ve never opened the moonroof and haven’t been through a car wash.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Couple moonroof related SSMs/TSBs:

SSM 51286
Some 2021-2022 Bronco Sport vehicles built on or before 07-Nov-2022 may exhibit a squeak/rattle/creak noise from the roof opening panel when the glass is closed or in vent position while driving on uneven highways. This may be due to roof opening panel bolts not being properly secured. To correct thiscondition, confirm that the bolts on each side of the moon roof are properly tightened. If the bolts are notproperly tightened, tighten the bolts. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section (WSM), Section 501-17 Roof Opening Panel Glass > Removal and Installation.

Another one that was, according to the NHTSA a recall proper, 21V809000:
Description of the Defect : Inadequate moonroof glass adhesion to the moonroof frame.
FMVSS 1 : NR
FMVSS 2 : NR
Description of the Safety Risk : If the roof glass panel separates from the vehicle while it is being driven, it may increase the risk of a road hazard, injury, or crash.
Description of the Cause : The root cause of this condition is insufficient primer curing time prior to
installing the moonroof frame resulting in inadequate adhesion to the glass.
This root cause was the result of a supplier process used during a two-day period from April 23-April 24, 2021.

Since this is actually a recall, if affected and not remedied it should show on owner.ford.com if your vehicle was affected.

Warranty it either way...

txwufamily

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I am experiencing the same issue. Along with the front rubber seal, both of the side rubber seals are separating. Definitely a poor design flaw. Unfortunately since I am out of the warranty window due to exceeding 36,000 miles, this will be owner responsibility. I also checked if there was any recall on my vehicle and nothing was active. Definitely get this moonroof seal checked before your warranty expires.
Sponsored