Moonroof creaking / squeaking when going over uneven pavement - any ideas appreciated.

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thought I'd get a thread on this going in case someone has been able to get the issue resolved (and yes, fully realize best solution is "don't get a moonroof"). Have a '22 Outer Banks with a moonroof that creaks when it is closed as well as partially closed around the point where it starts to press on the wind deflector. Beyond that point and when fully open there is no creaking. Any ideas on what area/part of the moonroof to grease in order to get rid of the creaking?

Have taken it to the dealer and they applied this blue grease on the tracks but it did not help. Have also done the F150 pano roof fix of applying silicone lubricant on the rubber seals and that did not work either (makes sense seals are not the issue as moonroof creaks even when partially open).

Appreciate any ideas!!
Sponsored

jayzala

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks
I had the exact same issue. 22 Outer Banks with the Moonroof. What I ended up doing was putting additional felt pads on the wind deflector so that it really pushes down close and does not creak. Also, I pushed and nudged on each part of the moonroof frame to see what was creaking, and then put gabs of grease and oil until it stopped creaking. Don't put too much oil otherwise it may soak through the headliner, caution.

It ended up fixing it and no more creaking noise for me. Seams ghetto but I really was annoyed at the noise. Also, my Bronco Sport was made in the winter time and it really hasn't been "baked" in the hot sun yet, so all the stuff has not melded together. When the summer time hits here in the upper midwest, I will let it bake in the sun all day to meld everything together and hopefully less creaks.

Edit: That plastic frame part right underneath the wind deflector was the culprit and I pushed down each part until I heard the noise myself, and then sprayed some oil/grease. I used "3 in 1 multipurpose oil"

Don't add the felt pads near the ends of the wind deflector, like the 2 at the top of my picture and 2 at the bottom. They ended up falling off.

Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof creaking / squeaking when going over uneven pavement - any ideas appreciated. IMG_2511

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I had the exact same issue. 22 Outer Banks with the Moonroof. What I ended up doing was putting additional felt pads on the wind deflector so that it really pushes down close and does not creak. Also, I pushed and nudged on each part of the moonroof frame to see what was creaking, and then put gabs of grease and oil until it stopped creaking. Don't put too much oil otherwise it may soak through the headliner, caution.

It ended up fixing it and no more creaking noise for me. Seams ghetto but I really was annoyed at the noise. Also, my Bronco Sport was made in the winter time and it really hasn't been "baked" in the hot sun yet, so all the stuff has not melded together. When the summer time hits here in the upper midwest, I will let it bake in the sun all day to meld everything together and hopefully less creaks.

Edit: That plastic frame part right underneath the wind deflector was the culprit and I pushed down each part until I heard the noise myself, and then sprayed some oil/grease. I used "3 in 1 multipurpose oil"

Don't add the felt pads near the ends of the wind deflector, like the 2 at the top of my picture and 2 at the bottom. They ended up falling off.

Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof creaking / squeaking when going over uneven pavement - any ideas appreciated. IMG_2511
That's one way to do it. I'm expecting mine to arrive late summer. Maby mine will warmed up before it gets here and I won't need to do this lol.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.

Thanks for your write-up. if mine starts to shake rattle an roll I will know what to do👍

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Indeed, was suspecting area around where the hinge for the wind deflector is... Will try your trick this weekend. Thanks!!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Thought I'd get a thread on this going in case someone has been able to get the issue resolved (and yes, fully realize best solution is "don't get a moonroof"). Have a '22 Outer Banks with a moonroof that creaks when it is closed as well as partially closed around the point where it starts to press on the wind deflector. Beyond that point and when fully open there is no creaking. Any ideas on what area/part of the moonroof to grease in order to get rid of the creaking?

Have taken it to the dealer and they applied this blue grease on the tracks but it did not help. Have also done the F150 pano roof fix of applying silicone lubricant on the rubber seals and that did not work either (makes sense seals are not the issue as moonroof creaks even when partially open).

Appreciate any ideas!!
Hey there! I can look into what’s going on with your Bronco on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

Last edited:
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 1973 Bronco Explorer
@gcbroncosport did you end up getting the creaking noise resolved? I've been having the same problem with my OB's moonroof as well. It will start to creak when going over road bumps with the moonroof more than 3/4 of the way closed.

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
@gcbroncosport did you end up getting the creaking noise resolved? I've been having the same problem with my OB's moonroof as well. It will start to creak when going over road bumps with the moonroof more than 3/4 of the way closed.
Unfortunately, no luck. Frankly, don't think dealership tried. Just kept car (for two days actually, they said they couldn't get to it first day), drove 2 minutes, then said no creak (showed em multiple videos).

Had moved so dealership took it to was not where purchased BS. They basically said not to bring BS to them for warranty work. Go back to where bought...

Ford HQ Customer Service above that reached out in our Forum helped setup appointment - but that's all they did and the dealership really didn't give a s#$*t about them/Ford HQ.

All this said, a NEW rattle, rather melodic one, turned up w the sunroof!! Have a feeling this one could hit some owners as the BS ages in particular. BUT, this time rattle SOLVED...

By yours truly, with ABSOLUTELY NO HELP from the useless :cwl: Ford Dealer Network.

Stay tuned, will post video of new rattle and the fix - so that we can help each other out (since the dealer network won't 😅).

Last edited:

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
Had moved so dealership took it to was not where purchased BS. They basically said not to bring BS to them for warranty work. Go back to where bought...
That's some bullshit right there. You are NOT required to go to the dealer where you purchased your vehicle for warranty service.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Mines done that since new. Had the moonroof lubed and readjusted and fixed it somewhat. Mine does it when closed. You can put your finger on the deflector with the shade open or push up a little on the roof glass and lessen it. It went away initially after fix and is now back. I also have constant rattles in the dash and a pillar areas. Again all worsening since I bought it. Ford is the only ones that can’t hear the rattle. Hell even my dog looks at the roof panel when driving.
PS. Is pulling teeth to get Ford to do warranty work or fixing damage they’ve done to my vehicle. I’ve had my BL since April and will be a year by time I get the parts I need to fix what I have going on. Check your roof panel in between the windshield and the roof. Mines separating on the passenger side from the vehicle and I think some of the noise is coming from that flexing
Ford Bronco Sport Moonroof creaking / squeaking when going over uneven pavement - any ideas appreciated. 2A15C4D7-C796-4BBD-8742-E32E6A0E1BB2

Last edited:

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That's some bullshit right there. You are NOT required to go to the dealer where you purchased your vehicle for warranty service.
100%! Admittedly, they were careful w their words. But it is the cliche scenario now. Ford dealer (Cape Cod) short on staff and plenty of demand for paid services so they gladly push away warranty work (reimbursed at much lower rates) for the more profitable paid services.

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
100%! Admittedly, they were careful w their words. But it is the cliche scenario now. Ford dealer (Cape Cod) short on staff and plenty of demand for paid services so they gladly push away warranty work (reimbursed at much lower rates) for the more profitable paid services.
I would think that Ford would want to know about a dealer that is refusing to provide warranty repair services. If they actually refuse it, a call to Ford would be in order.

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Here's another NEW buzzing, rattle. Sunroof related, will post solution later today when there's a bit more time!

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Here's another NEW buzzing, rattle. Sunroof related, will post solution later today when there's a bit more time!

That really bad. Dealer not going to be able to deny there's a problem there.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored