MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I happened to have a bunch of MOLLE-Lok® hard connectors in various sizes handy, so I captured a few reference pictures. I like these connectors because they provide some structural rigidity to the connection, have a positive latch, and are drilled for screw-down hardware.

Sizes pictured are ML•1 standard depth (DOTS), ML•1-1/2 standard depth (DOTS), ML•2 with 4 mm depth (DOTS), ML•3-1/2 standard depth (Blade-Tech MOLLE-Lok "Short"), and ML•5 standard depth (Blade-Tech MOLLE-Lok "Long").

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7412

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7413

The vehicle is a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands edition.

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7414

For cross reference, also pictured are that same series of MOLLE-Lok connectors on a Direct Action Gear Ghost Mark II®, specifically the front panel on the 3.5l detachable pouch. Direct Action uses a laser-cut MOLLE panel, so the vertical and horizontal spacing is standard MOLLE, but the cross-pieces aren't discrete runs of webbing, they're cut from a single sheet of Cordura® nylon.

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7430

MOLLE-Lok connectors sourced from Index Thermoplastics and Blade-Tech Industries, and are a mix of the Blade-Tech branded MOLLE-Lok Gen 3 and DOTS branded MOLLE-Lok models. My understanding is that Blade-Tech is a licensee of the DOTS design.

I didn't have any ML•2 standard depth connectors, and didn't take photos of ML•1-1/2 with 6 mm depth connectors, nor ML•1-1/2_to_ML•2 adjustable with 6mm depth or 12 mm depth connector variants (usually used with duty belts).

I also didn't work the connectors through past the hinge for the photos, but there was sufficient space to do so if done carefully. Typically this would be done so that the MOLLE-Lok connector remains anchored to the surface (in this case the seat-back), and the attached bag is released to slip-free of the pointed-end.

I'm game to grab additional photos if desired.

TL;DR: MOLLE webbing in the Ford Bronco Sport is a six-column-wide, five-row-tall configuration. Positive attachment can be achieved with ML•1, ML•3, and ML•5 connector lengths, and attachment with some vertical slop can be achieved using ML•1-1/2, ML•2, and ML•3-1/2 lengths.

Disclosure: I have no sponsor affiliation with Ford, Blade-Tech Industries, DOTS, Index Thermoplastics, or Direct Action Gear. I simply like their products.

PS: I have no sponsor affiliation with Sparrows Lockpicks either, if you're wondering about the object in the right-most of the bag photo. ;-)
Sponsored

OP
OP

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have never dealt with any of this kind of equipment. What is the purpose?

MOLLE is an evolution of (M)ALICE / PALS, which is an equipment attachment scheme used within the US (and some other countries) .Mil organizations.

MOLLE-Lok connectors are one of a number of methods for connecting MOLLE compatible items together, in the case of the Bronco Sport, the rear of the front seats in most trim levels include a basic 6 x 5 MOLLE panel.

You'll find other connectors including flexible plastic, single or multi-layer webbing, and even tongue depressors (I kid you not!).

The idea is that you can attach whatever MOLLE compatible gear you'd like, in the arrangement you prefer, to that panel.

Ford offers some co-branded storage/organization items, but •anything• made to be MOLLE compatible, and within the size (and weight) constraints of the panel on the back of the seat, •should• work.

I'll post a few examples once I get the photos uploaded later this evening.

OP
OP

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Here are two practical examples, as well as a shot showing MOLLE-Lok connectors threaded past the hinge-point:

A Vanquest FTIM Gen 2® (or equivalent geometry FAT•Pack®) IFAK bag (Individual First-Aid Kit / Trauma Kit) and a Vanquest HYDRA® oversized water bottle holder (1 litre). The former is MOLLE compatible, but requires connectors, the latter is both MOLLE compatible, •and• has on-board MOLLE connectors made from double-thickness webbing.

First, the bottle holder with built-in MOLLE connectors (two-column, five-row configuration), and the holder mounted:
Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7438

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7439

Then the bottle holder with MOLLE-Lok connectors installed (three-column, five-row configuration) past the hinge-point in preparation for mounting the bag:

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7441

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7440

Then the bag threaded-onto the "fixed location" MOLLE-Lok tangs:

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7442

Then finally with the MOLLE-Loks clipped-shut. Deployment of the bag just involves flipping the two MOLLE-Lok latches and pulling upwards/outwards on the bag's handle. In this use-case, the MOLLE-Lok connectors stay attached to the vehicle seat.

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7443

Disclosure: I have no sponsor affiliation with Vanquest, etc al.. I simply like their products.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Here are two practical examples, as well as a shot showing MOLLE-Lok connectors threaded past the hinge-point:

A Vanquest FTIM Gen 2® (or equivalent geometry FAT•Pack®) IFAK bag (Individual First-Aid Kit / Trauma Kit) and a Vanquest HYDRA® oversized water bottle holder (1 litre). The former is MOLLE compatible, but requires connectors, the latter is both MOLLE compatible, •and• has on-board MOLLE connectors made from double-thickness webbing.

First, the bottle holder with built-in MOLLE connectors (two-column, five-row configuration), and the holder mounted:
Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7438

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7439

Then the bottle holder with MOLLE-Lok connectors installed (three-column, five-row configuration) past the hinge-point in preparation for mounting the bag:

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7441

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7440

Then the bag threaded-onto the "fixed location" MOLLE-Lok tangs:

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7442

Then finally with the MOLLE-Loks clipped-shut. Deployment of the bag just involves flipping the two MOLLE-Lok latches and pulling upwards/outwards on the bag's handle. In this use-case, the MOLLE-Lok connectors stay attached to the vehicle seat.

Ford Bronco Sport MOLLE Web (back of front row seats) Sizing Reference Pictures using MOLLE-Lok® connectors IMG_7443

Disclosure: I have no sponsor affiliation with Vanquest, etc al.. I simply like their products.
I guess I can see the practicality of them; however I don't think I will utilize them because I would lose my legroom for my seats. I wish this was behind the rear seats for more options for your gear in the trunk space. Definitely like those hinged clips for the bag ???

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
See, in looking for accessories to use with the Molle straps, the "practical" aspect always hits against the reality of $50 in hardware to hold a water bottle or a pair of gloves.

I agree with ChefDank, the whole system would be better off in the cargo area or back of rear seats. I have people and little people that get in back too often to put a lot of stuff there.

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have to agree. The cost and space are big issues for me as well. A well thought out rear cargo area option would be good. I’ve seen one in this group. Can’t seem to find it quickly though.

See, in looking for accessories to use with the Molle straps, the "practical" aspect always hits against the reality of $50 in hardware to hold a water bottle or a pair of gloves.

I agree with ChefDank, the whole system would be better off in the cargo area or back of rear seats. I have people and little people that get in back too often to put a lot of stuff there.

OP
OP

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Lufifi

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
I absolutely LOVE the location of the MOLLE stuff! I get why people with kids or who need the extra leg room but for me, nobody is in the back seat other than a dog (or rarely a person but I probably would just move the items for them). I like that I can grab what I need fast. I keep a small first aid kit and go bag back there. I also use clips for some things for the dogs. My profession deals with disasters so I'm just this side of being a prepper and this makes it less of a mess to make sure I have what I need to be on the move at a moment's notice.

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend