Missing Black Diamond/Wildtrack Trims

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
So one of the Facebook groups I’m in has a member that teased VERY subtle hints that they are awaiting a black diamond trim level after having worked on/added a ceramic coat to a customer OB trim. The guy works in aftermarket paint and wraps/detailing.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts/has heard similar whisperings of a possible future trim level between OB and BL...? It’s definitely an interesting theory but obviously lacking evidence. I’m imagining similar to the full size, a BD trim would have BL level performance (2.0L) and either base or BB level interiors/options?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shiskamba

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
So one of the Facebook groups I’m in has a member that teased VERY subtle hints that they are awaiting a black diamond trim level after having worked on/added a ceramic coat to a customer OB trim. The guy works in aftermarket paint and wraps/detailing.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts/has heard similar whisperings of a possible future trim level between OB and BL...? It’s definitely an interesting theory but obviously lacking evidence. I’m imagining similar to the full size, a BD trim would have BL level performance (2.0L) and either base or BB level interiors/options?
Also very possible the guy is just a nut job that doesn’t know what he’s talking about, lol. But it’s fun to speculate.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I seriously doubt Ford would do that right now. With COVID, the new Ranger Tremor and a Timberland trim for the Explorer their plate is full. However, I would almost guarantee two future trims giving Ford's past behavior. A BS with a meaner look, like a BS Raptor, raised up 1-2 inches with bigger tires and the 2.3L. I've seen reviewers calling the BS "cute" and "petite" which is the kiss of death for many male and some female drivers who want a more aggressive vehicle. With gasoline prices and emissions to take a serious turn next year, I'd also expect a hybrid BS trim by 2023.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A black diamond that is essentially a badlands without the advanced 4x4 and some better looking wheels would be right up my alley.

OP
OP
Shiskamba

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
All good points. Personally I don’t care if they do or don’t add these “missing trims” as I’m happy with the Big Bend. I agree at some point we likely will see other options but not anytime soon. In my mind a hybrid is a logical option but not something I would equate as getting its own trim name. Now the 2.3 could be worthy of a distinctive trim but I’d see it being above the current Badlands and going full mini-Squatch - more Wildtrack-esque or full on Warthog/Tremor/Raptor variant... whatever they’re calling it now haha

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +

Probably just mixing Bronc and BS up.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I feel being the first year of the Sport, Ford wants to see what the reaction is, sometimes when you bring a new product to market, you can guess the market reaction, but there's no way to know for sure. From my conversation with the dealership, from what they are seeing in interest, they are seeing way more interest in the sport than the big Bronco at the moment. especially for our market, there is a huge appeal for the sport. If this is true on a larger scale, I would bet Ford would put out more options or configurations in future model years

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
The look is mean enough for my needs, it looks aggressive but not too outlandish/"off-roady" when driving around town. I think the blend of "normal+rugged" is just fine as it is. AND it is square, which I love, and stands out among other egg-shaped SUVs.

What would make it much more appreciated by people who need a more "rugged feeling" AND more popular in general in the future would be:
- A regular shifter instead of the "dial"
- At least one more trim level with the 2.0L option (having BL as the only trim with the 2.0L just narrows options a lot - I am not counting the FE, because technically they're all "gone" now)
- A 2.3L option

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
All good points. Personally I don’t care if they do or don’t add these “missing trims” as I’m happy with the Big Bend. I agree at some point we likely will see other options but not anytime soon. In my mind a hybrid is a logical option but not something I would equate as getting its own trim name. Now the 2.3 could be worthy of a distinctive trim but I’d see it being above the current Badlands and going full mini-Squatch - more Wildtrack-esque or full on Warthog/Tremor/Raptor variant... whatever they’re calling it now haha
*cough* #SportHog *cough*
Sponsored