Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So My BS came with the upgraded 18” wheels.

I lifted it, so naturally I went to get bigger tires to fill out the wheel well and give me a bit more lift.

I started out only getting the 4, leaving the spare as stock.

8k miles in, I get a screw in the sidewall and need to replace. Luckily, tires are under warranty, so it was free.

But, I figured “hey, get me another new tire to balance out the rear, and take the other good (used) rear tire and upgrade my spare”.

Unbeknownst to me (and fyi - I walked into the lot and purchased my BS, didn’t pre-order or upgrade) the 18” wheel upgrade package didn’t cover the spare wheel size!

So I’m sitting on 4x 18” wheels and a 17” spare wheel.

Just a shout out to anyone upgrading wheels/tires… most of the time the spare isn’t fully thought about. Make sure you check yours!
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
So My BS came with the upgraded 18” wheels.

I lifted it, so naturally I went to get bigger tires to fill out the wheel well and give me a bit more lift.

I started out only getting the 4, leaving the spare as stock.

8k miles in, I get a screw in the sidewall and need to replace. Luckily, tires are under warranty, so it was free.

But, I figured “hey, get me another new tire to balance out the rear, and take the other good (used) rear tire and upgrade my spare”.

Unbeknownst to me (and fyi - I walked into the lot and purchased my BS, didn’t pre-order or upgrade) the 18” wheel upgrade package didn’t cover the spare wheel size!

Just a shout out to anyone upgrading wheels/tires… most of the time the spare isn’t fully thought about. Make sure you check yours!
Same with the OB which is on 18's. The full size spare is also only included with the tow package, so you were even more lucky the one you got had the factory tow package on it. Yes, it's a 17" wheel but the tire overall (225/65/17) is about the same size by a fractional amount. Surprised they didn't tell you that at the shop unless they tried to upgrade the wheel and tire

OP
OP

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Same with the OB which is on 18's. The full size spare is also only included with the tow package, so you were even more lucky the one you got had the factory tow package on it. Yes, it's a 17" wheel but the tire overall (225/65/17) is about the same size by a fractional amount. Surprised they didn't tell you that at the shop unless they tried to upgrade the wheel and tire
Right, but the 225/65/17 doesn’t help me when I have 245/60/18’s.

Felt kinda like another cut corner to have an upgrade option and not include the spare.

All in all, I just need to find a basic 18’ wheel to fit my extra 245/60 then I’ll have my full size spare

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Right, but the 225/65/17 doesn’t help me when I have 245/60/18’s.

Felt kinda like another cut corner to have an upgrade option and not include the spare.

All in all, I just need to find a basic 18’ wheel to fit my extra 245/60 then I’ll have my full size spare
A 245/65/17 would save you from having to buy a wheel too.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Same issue with the Badlands with the optional WildPeaks. The spare is still a Pirrelli scorpion. Cost me an extra 350 to fix that glitch!

Ford Bronco Sport Mis-matched Wheels? 3DD55754-0959-4491-8B0C-AEA092F05225

Ford Bronco Sport Mis-matched Wheels? AF931277-6A64-4DD8-B7CF-63BC64DC41BF

SWUKU

First Edition
First Name
GB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same issue with the Badlands with the optional WildPeaks. The spare is still a Pirrelli scorpion. Cost me an extra 350 to fix that glitch!

Ford Bronco Sport Mis-matched Wheels? 3DD55754-0959-4491-8B0C-AEA092F05225

Ford Bronco Sport Mis-matched Wheels? AF931277-6A64-4DD8-B7CF-63BC64DC41BF
I've been thinking about doing the same, as my BSFE is basically a stylized BSBL.

Did you have to make any modifications to fit in the well?
Does the cargo area floor still fit?
Is it too tall to use the wing nut?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Assuming you only need to get to a shop to repair the damaged tire, the wheel diameter alone is irrelevant. The only thing that matters for your spare is the overall wheel/tire diameter matches what’s installed. That’s why a donut spare works fine for most.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been thinking about doing the same, as my BSFE is basically a stylized BSBL.

Did you have to make any modifications to fit in the well?
Does the cargo area floor still fit?
Is it too tall to use the wing nut?
No modifications required to the well.
Cargo floor still fits correctly.
It is too tall for the wing nut. I designed a new one but need to print it out at work.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming you only need to get to a shop to repair the damaged tire, the wheel diameter alone is irrelevant. The only thing that matters for your spare is the overall wheel/tire diameter matches what’s installed. That’s why a donut spare works fine for most.
This is correct. Especially if only used temporarily. I plan on using mine in rotation so they all stay at the appropriate diameter.

OP
OP

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah… I think I’m just more ticked off about the scenario in general. If there is an upgrade, upgrade all, not partial.

I’ll make due, and after purchasing the “5th” 245/60/18 yesterday so I could have the complete set, I’m not going to go out and buy a $715 18’ OEM rim to match. It’s the spare… unless I get a tailgate swing-arm mount, it’s hidden, so a basic 18’ rim will suffice for now.

I merely wanted to post this random come across experience I had yesterday so those who are doing lifts/tire upgrades/etc outside of OEM to be aware of the difference in Spare vs what’s actually mounted and driven on, regardless of OEM upgrades.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah… I think I’m just more ticked off about the scenario in general. If there is an upgrade, upgrade all, not partial.

I’ll make due, and after purchasing the “5th” 245/60/18 yesterday so I could have the complete set, I’m not going to go out and buy a $715 18’ OEM rim to match. It’s the spare… unless I get a tailgate swing-arm mount, it’s hidden, so a basic 18’ rim will suffice for now.

I merely wanted to post this random come across experience I had yesterday so those who are doing lifts/tire upgrades/etc outside of OEM to be aware of the difference in Spare vs what’s actually mounted and driven on, regardless of OEM upgrades.
Agreed. I picked my wheel up off EBay for 175 and the tire for another 175. As you said, should have been part of the upgrade but……it wasn’t.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

I merely wanted to post this random come-across experience I had yesterday so those who are doing lifts/tire upgrades/etc outside of OEM to be aware of the difference in Spare vs what’s actually mounted and driven on, regardless of OEM upgrades.
I feel the same as you... I see no need to buy a matching rim along with the matching tire... be nice... but costs with everything else were sticking on these Broncos can add up but quickly! Lol

That said... even using a steel/rim with a matching tire as a spare... would those slight differences in the rim dimensions/weight harm any part of the vehicle? If you found yourself using that spare to

A) get out of the off-roads your are on and then

B) traveling those odd 500 miles (or more for some...) to get back home and repair/replace the blown main trie..

.just curious if those differences would mess with the Broncos suspension...

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel the same as you... I see no need to buy a matching rim along with the matching tire... be nice... but costs with everything else were sticking on these Broncos can add up but quickly! Lol

That said... even using a steel/rim with a matching tire as a spare... would those slight differences in the rim dimensions/weight harm any part of the vehicle? If you found yourself using that spare to

A) get out of the off-roads your are on and then

B) traveling those odd 500 miles (or more for some...) to get back home and repair/replace the blown main trie..

.just curious if those differences would mess with the Broncos suspension...
Slight differences won’t hurt for temporary use especially if you are off road. Biggest issue is on the drive train and only because of the 4 wheel/all wheel drive not on the suspension.

OP
OP

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The other funny thing is that the 17 inch spare rim I have is the Machined Aluminum Ebony Black-painted Wheels that are apparently only an 18 inch wheel upgrade option… so they made 17 inch wheels in that same trim that they don’t advertise in builds.

Very deceiving… but again, I’ll make due

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape