Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
HI all,

My big bend has a mini spare and I am replacing it with one of my old continentals after getting new tires. I bought a new rim but just thought does the mini spare use a TPMS sensor? Thanks.
Sponsored

maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nah, no sensor on the spare, I had to use mine last month.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the help.
Did you end up changing it out? I am thinking about doing the same thing, putting the best continental as a full spare. The continentals won't fit the spare thought, right, you had to get a new wheel?

OP
OP
baja_bob

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Did you end up changing it out? I am thinking about doing the same thing, putting the best continental as a full spare. The continentals won't fit the spare thought, right, you had to get a new wheel?
Yes, I replaced the small spare with a full size stock continental. I ordered a steel rim for the bronco sport.

There is plenty of room in the trunk area for the wheel but just set the floor to the high groove.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, I replaced the small spare with a full size stock continental. I ordered a steel rim for the bronco sport.

There is plenty of room in the trunk area for the wheel but just set the floor to the high groove.
I ended up just getting a 5th wheel on ebay....so it will just be the same wheel, didn't think about weight in the spare so we will see if it really affects mileage or not after I drive the stock tires down and get new ones.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
This does in fact bring up an interesting idea! Most people NEVER check air pressure of their spare tire. It seems that it would be a good idea for car manufacturers to include a TPMS for the spare AND a computer addition for the spare position. That way, everyone would KNOW that their spare tire was OK!

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
baja_bob

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I ended up just getting a 5th wheel on ebay....so it will just be the same wheel, didn't think about weight in the spare so we will see if it really affects mileage or not after I drive the stock tires down and get new ones.
The extra weight of the full size spare is minimal, my gas mileage changed slightly when I added the A/T tires compared to the continentals. The benefit to me of having the full size spare is that I may have to drive on it for a couple days before the flat could be fixed and I do a lot of highway driving, I wouldn't trust the donut spare.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The extra weight of the full size spare is minimal, my gas mileage changed slightly when I added the A/T tires compared to the continentals. The benefit to me of having the full size spare is that I may have to drive on it for a couple days before the flat could be fixed and I do a lot of highway driving, I wouldn't trust the donut spare.
Yep, a donut isn't really a spare tire, it is a temporary fix to get your tire fixed. I have a hard time relying on it on even a simple camping trip.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
This does in fact bring up an interesting idea! Most people NEVER check air pressure of their spare tire. It seems that it would be a good idea for car manufacturers to include a TPMS for the spare AND a computer addition for the spare position. That way, everyone would KNOW that their spare tire was OK!
Actually, as part of changing a tire, you are supposed to check the tire pressure of the tire you just installed before using it. So technically there would be no reason for them to have a constant monitor on the tire in the stored position.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Actually, as part of changing a tire, you are supposed to check the tire pressure of the tire you just installed before using it. So technically there would be no reason for them to have a constant monitor on the tire in the stored position.
So, you run over an object on the highway and get a flat. You change to your spare, only to find that it too is flat (but you didn't know that ahead of time because you never check the spare). Most people don't carry an air compressor in the car to pump up the spare.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I've had spare tires maintain pressure for years. Just check it at least as much as you fill the regular tires and you'll be fine without adding even more $$$$$ to the cost of vehicles.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
So, you run over an object on the highway and get a flat. You change to your spare, only to find that it too is flat (but you didn't know that ahead of time because you never check the spare). Most people don't carry an air compressor in the car to pump up the spare.
Most people just call AAA, but yes you should have a way to adjust the tire pressure especially if you plan to off-road. There are also plenty of people who remove this tire from the stored locations and that would give us a constant error message. Also same for people with a donut.
Sponsored