MNVKSFN

Badlands
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BRONCO SPORT
Odd thing happened at the dealer related to the Miles to Empty reading today.
We picked up our 22 Badlands, the gauge reads full but the Miles to Empty reads about 130 miles.
They topped it off to see if that fixed it, I reset the MPG and trip readings and still the same.
I will check it again tomorrow to see if anything changes, the dealer is aware of it if it needs to be looked at.
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Odd thing happened at the dealer related to the Miles to Empty reading today.
We picked up our 22 Badlands, the gauge reads full but the Miles to Empty reads about 130 miles.
They topped it off to see if that fixed it, I reset the MPG and trip readings and still the same.
I will check it again tomorrow to see if anything changes, the dealer is aware of it if it needs to be looked at.
To my best understanding the computer probably figures the MtoE based on recent MPG. If your vehicle is anything like mine, it had less than 10 miles on it at delivery. That's not enough data to come up with a decent output. That said, mine was a little over 300 MtoE when I got it.

OP
OP
MNVKSFN

MNVKSFN

Badlands
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BRONCO SPORT
To my best understanding the computer probably figures the MtoE based on recent MPG. If your vehicle is anything like mine, it had less than 10 miles on it at delivery. That's not enough data to come up with a decent output. That said, mine was a little over 300 MtoE when I got it.
Which is what I figured and why I reset the trip and MPG and it climbed a little as we drove home.
I am assuming that it will eventually correct itself and be correct.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Just remember that MtoE is always a guess that the computer is making and that guess changes constantly. Also, when it says zero, youā€™re not out of gas or will not be out of gas when it gets to zero. I donā€™t know specifically for the BS but usually thereā€™s about a gallon left. Think of it as ā€œreserveā€ if youā€™ve ever owned a vehicle with one of those.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Just remember that MtoE is always a guess that the computer is making and that guess changes constantly. Also, when it says zero, youā€™re not out of gas or will not be out of gas when it gets to zero. I donā€™t know specifically for the BS but usually thereā€™s about a gallon left. Think of it as ā€œreserveā€ if youā€™ve ever owned a vehicle with one of those.
Itā€˜s not that the computer keep changing its mind about how many miles you have remaining, itā€™s that your MPG change, which changes your miles to empty. When you fill your tank your miles to empty is based on the current average MPG.

As far as gallons remaining at zero: do you have a reference for this? I once ran my BS down to 10 miles remaining, and although I donā€™t remember the exact amount of gallons I put in, it was just about the max that the vehicle could hold. The miles to empty estimate is pretty accurate in my experience.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Itā€˜s not that the computer keep changing its mind about how many miles you have remaining, itā€™s that your MPG change, which changes your miles to empty. When you fill your tank your miles to empty is based on the current average MPG.

As far as gallons remaining at zero: do you have a reference for this? I once ran my BS down to 10 miles remaining, and although I donā€™t remember the exact amount of gallons I put in, it was just about the max that the vehicle could hold. The miles to empty estimate is pretty accurate in my experience.
I think thatā€™s what Eric was implying. The computer is basing it on the current gas mileage and probably which goat your using to drive. Itā€™s not just randomly picking numbers like Hal might.

Iā€™m not a big fan of gambling, so I donā€™t know whatā€™s left but it seems to me there is more left than what is stated based on what is used and what is put in.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I think a gallon might be correct in my case. usually when my Raptor says 15 miles left I can get 24 gallon$ in it. I'd say the computer is making a pretty good educated guess.
15mpg average, 26 gallon tank. not brave enough to push it further.

OP
OP
MNVKSFN

MNVKSFN

Badlands
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BRONCO SPORT

What is weird in my case is my average reading in 22.2 (reset before our test drive) the Trip 1 is 26 (reset while on the freeway) and trip 2 is around 10 (reset at delivery).
When we picked it up it was 124 to empty with a full tank, I am now at 132 MtoE with 3/4 of a tank with the above readings. If it doesn't change today when I start it I will reset the Trip 2 and assume it is based off that one. Now Trip 1 and Trip 2 could be backwards and in reality Trip 2 is Trip 1 and that is what it is based off of and the others are irrelevant. I will keep you posted.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I was simplifying things by saying the computer is guessing. Yes, it is using the best information it has at the moment to calculate a guess, but it is still a guess because it has no idea what kind of driving you will be doing for the rest of the tank.

Gallons remaining at zero for me is experience. I have had 2 motorcycles and 3 cars in the last 20 years that have had this kind of technology. Each of them have been run down to zero MtoE on multiple occasions and quite frequently beyond zero MtoE. I pay attention to the capacity of the tank and I have a couple of times run out of gas. All of these 5 vehicles have roughly 1 gallon remaining in the tank when the display shows zero MtoE. Like I said, I donā€™t know for sure what it is on the BS but I suspect it is something close to that. I think it is empowering to know just how far beyond the zero MtoE point you can go, just in case you actually need to do it.

I think that most people believe that when it reaches zero MtoE that it will be completely empty. That simply is not the truth. If in that situation you know that you can go another 15-20 miles, you can choose a different gas station than the one directly in front of you if you have reason to. There can be many reasons why you might want to pick a different station. From personal safety all the way to you get points from one down the road. Everyone should know that zero MtoE is not the end of the fuel in the tank but it is getting there.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is weird in my case is my average reading in 22.2 (reset before our test drive) the Trip 1 is 26 (reset while on the freeway) and trip 2 is around 10 (reset at delivery).
When we picked it up it was 124 to empty with a full tank, I am now at 132 MtoE with 3/4 of a tank with the above readings. If it doesn't change today when I start it I will reset the Trip 2 and assume it is based off that one. Now Trip 1 and Trip 2 could be backwards and in reality Trip 2 is Trip 1 and that is what it is based off of and the others are irrelevant. I will keep you posted.
Take a look in the OM and see what Trip1 and Trip2 are for. In my VW the Trip2 gives the mileage of the current trip. It has some definition of what a trip is and will reset when the car is parked for a certain length of time. So, Trip2 is more of day-to-day mileage, where Trip1 is more like what it is since the last time it was reset.

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport

I second this, when the MtoE gets to zero, you have less than a gallon left and better be very close to a gas station. I ran it to zero just to test and immediately filled up, it was over 15gal in a 15.9gal tank.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
When I drove mine off the lot for the first time my dealer filled the tank for me. It showed 210 miles to empty. I drove it down to a half a tank and when I filled it up it showed 380 miles to empty.
Go figure..

jason202

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2009 Volvo C30 T5
The miles to empty reading on my Badlands is certainly pretty misleading at the moment. Yesterday it said 92 miles left before I drove 3.5 miles to work, and when I got home, it said 61 miles.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm thinking that once you get a cycle or two of tank fills, the miles to empty will correct itself. On our delivery, it had 4 miles on the odometer, and the miles to empty said we had over 370 miles to empty, so it seems weird for your indication.
Sponsored