Mid-Atlantic getting heavy smoke from Canadian WIldfires. Comparison to clear fall day in October '22.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The particulates in heavy smoke can clog up air cleaners and cabin air filters over time.
The finest particulates can get through filters and cause some contamination of the oil which can add to wear when it gets into bearings. I did some microscopic work with a tribologist (friction and wear materials scientist), examining damge from contaminated engine oils.
The contamination from the particulates in smoke and smog in minimal compared to the dust and dirt from desert racing.
Thank you for the detailed answer, yet putting it in terms I understood.

I hope all is ok for our Canadian friends!
Sponsored

DahliaDarlin'

Outer Banks
First Name
Lise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2005 Honda Civic
Driving through northern NH on our way to Maine, July 1st. The smoke was back. No comparative picture, but it was a dry day that should have otherwise been sunny. The mountains (hills to the Westerners among us) should have been clearly visible. The smoke caught in my throat and I lost my voice for a bit. You can imagine my DH's horror.

Ford Bronco Sport Mid-Atlantic getting heavy smoke from Canadian WIldfires. Comparison to clear fall day in October '22. IMG_0474
Sponsored