Media source

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
I use a USB drive for music but whenever i start the vehicle it defaults to the radio? Is there a way to keep it on USB?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This is something the wife (she has an Escape with SYNC3) have been trying to figure out since forever. The only solution we've found is to turn the audio system off with the source selected you want to playback the next time you turn the system on. That seems to work MOST of the time, but the system will occasionally revert back to the radio.

Just to be clear, are you using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? If so, you must have your phone plugged in before the system is finished booting, or SYNC will begin playback of whatever source you had selected (in SYNC, not in AA/CP).

If you're not using AA/CP make sure your USB device is plugged in before SYNC completes boot up.

Last edited:

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Mine stays on whatever source I had it on (USB, Sirius, or FM). I haven't experienced a default to radio. Cheers!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I have to agree with Patrick. Mine is almost always on SiriusXM and comes back to that regardless of CarPlay or not.

OP
OP
DemonGT

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
No car play. I leave the usb plugged in

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
In my ST I used a USB device all the time and never unplugged it. It always defaulted to the USB drive when starting and never any issues. The BS is the complete opposite. It rarely will start up to the USB drive even though that has been the only thing playing and wasn't removed. Very annoying to have to switch to the USB drive everytime I start the car.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Must be a USB thing then. Mine comes back ever time to where it was when it was shut off but I never have tried the USB port yet for music.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Mine remembers where it was if it is on AM/FM or XM but the USB always forgets. I think it is because when you start the car, it takes a minute for the system to boot up. After a while, the screen reports that the USB was "detected". Actually, the whole Sync system seems painfully slow. If I try to do anything before about 1 min of idling, the voice isn't ready, the maps aren't ready, the back up proximity isn't ready, etc. I use the "C" port for my USB. Never tried on the other one to see if it is a different result.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
I always listen to Iheartradio podcasts using bluetooth/android. On startup, my car always defaults to turning the radio on - even when I shut down the audio system before last leaving the car. Most of the time, I will be out of the driveway and halfway down the street when the radio comes on - drives me nuts. I really like the system otherwise - if someone figures this one out, please post the fix, I am tired of cursing in front of my kids. I have used a USB in the past - same default to radio when I start my car.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
You aren't alone. I have a USB in all the time and it's pretty annoying. I think it is trying to get to the USB first but then about half the time I get the message that it is unable to connect to the Media Device and the radio comes on. The USB is then available as a Source 15 seconds later and I select it.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
It defaults to satellite. Is annoying af. I don’t use it and it isn’t activated so I get the initial pop up that it’s expired. Close out of that and another pops up with the radio id and xm phone number. Cannot even use the screen or select another source until you close out of those. Has done this since new. I use USB all the time also. Is just the way it setup. Almost everything is based around satellite in these, even the shitty amp dsp is xm bias towards the sound profiles

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
It defaults to satellite. Is annoying af. I don’t use it and it isn’t activated so I get the initial pop up that it’s expired. Close out of that and another pops up with the radio id and xm phone number. Cannot even use the screen or select another source until you close out of those. Has done this since new. I use USB all the time also. Is just the way it setup. Almost everything is based around satellite in these, even the shitty amp dsp is xm bias towards the sound profiles
Most people solve that problem by removing any SiriusXM stations that someone might have programmed in before you received your bronco sport.

If you do not see any SiriusXM stations in your list of programmed channels, you could try performing a Master Reset (under Settings on the 8” display). A master reset will require you to re-add your phone and any other settings the master reset changes.
Sponsored