Lost in a sea of cross bars and roof racks.

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ok, so I'm looking for some cross bars to put on my sport. There's already a ton of options. Some seem to have T track, others don't. I'm confused on what to buy. I know nothing about this stuff and I'm getting frustrated. I don't want to spend hundreds and then be pissed I should have bought something else.

I need to pick up lumber on occasion. I'm tired of putting it inside the vehicle. So I want some cross bars so I can strap it down. I usually get 2x4s and occasionally some plywood or osb.
I hate how some of the cross bars are super high, so I'd prefer lower profile (I'll buy a stubby antenna), and I'd like them to be black.
I dont bike, or camp, not looking to add lights to it. But being able to add things might be nice in the future, but I'm not overly concerned about it. As long as it doesn't look dumb and functions properly I'm good.

What do you recommend?
Sponsored

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Ok, so I'm looking for some cross bars to put on my sport. There's already a ton of options. Some seem to have T track, others don't. I'm confused on what to buy. I know nothing about this stuff and I'm getting frustrated. I don't want to spend hundreds and then be pissed I should have bought something else.

I need to pick up lumber on occasion. I'm tired of putting it inside the vehicle. So I want some cross bars so I can strap it down. I usually get 2x4s and occasionally some plywood or osb.
I hate how some of the cross bars are super high, so I'd prefer lower profile (I'll buy a stubby antenna), and I'd like them to be black.
I dont bike, or camp, not looking to add lights to it. But being able to add things might be nice in the future, but I'm not overly concerned about it. As long as it doesn't look dumb and functions properly I'm good.

What do you recommend?
How much are you hoping to spend? I got some off amazon - theyre definitely no thule or yakima but im pleased with price vs product....might consider switching to a removeqble locking later since i have a basket up there too but so far no real complaints

Milehifireguy

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
What you really want to know is the difference is the way they attach other parts, Rack to rack interchangeable parts convenience. The best part is most parts interchange between vendors too. T-slots are usually gonna be easier to get attachments for as most platforms are using these. Thule makes great load stops for most of the bars they have including t slots. Thule Aero Load Stops https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HR9PK84/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9A4E7DSJFANMSR4QDAXA these are the t slot load stops I use. You can always try secondary market to try some of the different styles at a lower value. Facebook marketplace always has great deals on roof racks sometimes you just need the towers

OP
OP
HugeGuyTheory

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’m really getting ready to pull the trigger on these…
OMAC Roof Rack Crossbars Compatible with Ford Bronco Sport 2021 | Aluminum Lockable Black Roof Top Cargo Racks | Auto Exterior Accessories Luggage Ski Kayak Bike Snowboard Carriers Set 2 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TMYQ3ZD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7DAX0ZB5YGFQ3GVYVHJ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Those seem decent. Always nervous with no reviews. I wish there were more photos of the bars themselves.
How much are you hoping to spend? I got some off amazon - theyre definitely no thule or yakima but im pleased with price vs product....might consider switching to a removeqble locking later since i have a basket up there too but so far no real complaints
Not too worried about cost. Within reason anyway. I'd rather pay for quality any day.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
thule !!!!!
Ford Bronco Sport Lost in a sea of cross bars and roof racks. 21B6C541-E398-45F2-BC09-567B11EF9BDF

pricey tho.
versatile. everything from 2x4 to ikea boxes to rooftop tent.

Last edited:

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Qlso have you considered just getting a roof mat ... idk the amount youre carrying etc but a roof mate would protect the paint and you can just throw a strap over and attach to rails

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

Slewis95407

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Sylvansport Go, 2012 Focus

What do you recommend?
I use this set from Amazon. Only go on when I need them. 4 screws. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Bronco-Crossbars-Carrier-Badlands/dp/B09331HZGB/ref=psdc_347985011_t1_B08TMYQ3ZD

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Yup. I had the same problem. Way too many choices. I just wanted something to haul a canoe. I decided on a brand name. I don't know enough to chance an off brand. And I had all these Ford points. So I went with the Thule on the Ford website. I knew the crossbars would fit and I knew I could get accessories for them if needed. In our case, we do have two trailers for hauling lumber and wood pellets.