Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport badlands
So, it has 23”(call it two feet) of fording depth, added 1.5” of lift and added another inch or so with the bigger tires. So maybe 25-26” total? I’m thinking of adding a snorkel to the drivers front fender as it is the perfect spot.
Anyone seen them for sale yet? I can’t.
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
So, it has 23”(call it two feet) of fording depth, added 1.5” of lift and added another inch or so with the bigger tires. So maybe 25-26” total? I’m thinking of adding a snorkel to the drivers front fender as it is the perfect spot.
Anyone seen them for sale yet? I can’t.
After you get the snorkel etc. and get thru that depth please let us all know how well the ECU holds up.

The ECU is mounted just forward of driver side front tire, on the badlands, ECU will be 100% under water at about 17” (not taking a lift into account and with OEM tires). ECU is a “sealed” module but is unknown how long the ECU can be submerged in water before damage occurs. Nice to have a 2nd data point on someone submerging their ECU and if you could provide the amount of time your ECU was submerged that would be interesting info.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
After you get the snorkel etc. and get thru that depth please let us all know how well the ECU holds up.

The ECU is mounted just forward of driver side front tire, on the badlands, ECU will be 100% under water at about 17” (not taking a lift into account and with OEM tires). ECU is a “sealed” module but is unknown how long the ECU can be submerged in water before damage occurs. Nice to have a 2nd data point on someone submerging their ECU and if you could provide the amount of time your ECU was submerged that would be interesting info.
I suspect the water intrusion issues people are having is more related to connectors than to the PCM itself.

Often, "sealed" means "potted," wherein the entire circuit board comprising the device is encased in epoxy, leaving only the connectors exposed. I don't know if that's the case, but given the location of the PCM I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Ford did it.

I recall at least one member here who had a rash of electronics issues after going through a car wash, and the problem was traced to a connector on the transmission.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I suspect the water intrusion issues people are having is more related to connectors than to the PCM itself.

Often, "sealed" means "potted," wherein the entire circuit board comprising the device is encased in epoxy, leaving only the connectors exposed. I don't know if that's the case, but given the location of the PCM I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Ford did it.

I recall at least one member here who had a rash of electronics issues after going through a car wash, and the problem was traced to a connector on the transmission.
Yes … likely the connectors since often those are the first entry point however a fried ECU as reported in the April 2021 post is still a dead ECU.

67L48

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350, 2023 BS BL
I suspect the water intrusion issues people are having is more related to connectors than to the PCM itself. [...]
Excellent point. On my F-350, many people were experiencing electrical issues on the various connectors under the bed (trailer lights, tail lights, etc.). It was discovered that many of the connectors weren't sealed or "greased" from the factory very well. Most of us pulled the connectors apart, filled with dielctric grease (or equiv), and added some protection to water intrusion/corrosion.

I'd expect that anyone doing any planned water crossings would do the same ... as well as changing out diff fluids after submersion.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
What about the alternator? It's lower than the ecm.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after reading the other thread....that was in 2021....anyone else have an issue in water? Was it a one off or has there been reported issues when in water? The reason I ask, is I AM going in water this weekend. Will it be towed out? Doubt it since the wife has had it almost to the top of the front bumper already. But, we'll see, lol. Lots of electrical connectors all over it and every other new vehicle. If you've ever seen the testing they do before they ok something, it's pretty interesting. Take a vehicle to -30 then up to +40, all the time starting and stopping it. There is also the "safety factor". If a manufacturer says it will do "X" you can damn well be sure it can do it with a 50% safety margin added in. As a tech of 36 years I can attest to the crap vehicles are put through because they have to build it for the morons of the world. "don't do high speed manouvers in a 4x4 vehicle...: Or "do not leave the vehicle unattended when in cruise control. (that one was for winnebago who got sued and the person won) when they put the "autopilot" on in their rented motorhome and then went to the back to make a sandwich. I shit you not, it was a real case and the reason winnebago put the disclaimer in their drivers manual.

Anyway, all that to say, we'll find out! And if it does fail, it'll be a learning experience, not for me but for ford as I won't let it go. (I suppose for me too as I'll start relocating everything, lol!!!)

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
As mentioned in your reply on the other thread, I hope the water adventure goes well for you. At least you know what could happen if you spend time in high water.

Txsurfer13

Heritage
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Ltd
Might be worth looking into the diff breather heights. They may be the limiting factor in fording depth, which would make a snorkel mostly irrelevant for all but aesthetic value and dusty days.

Not knocking the aesthetic angle... could look cool as hell if it's done right.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might check later, I was thinking about that but with rangers for example, 2wd has the diff breather at the top of the frame rail in the exact place as a 4x4 one. That said, on my mud trucks (2 rangers and an explorer) I put a piece of copper tube in the end of the lines with 2-3 coils to keep water out. Same as front axles, but the 91 has bad seals and takes in water anyway😂.

I would suspect that the fording height is determined and everything is made to do that height. As in, breathers are above that, air intake is above that, etc,etc.

(Just got here after driving 5hrs and the wife wants to get groceries…)
Sponsored