Long distance travel with the 1.5L BS

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I'm interested in hearing from folks who have taken long distance runs in their Base, Big Bend and Outer Banks. Issues, if any, gas mileage and overall comfort.
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm interested in hearing from folks who have taken long distance runs in their Base, Big Bend and Outer Banks. Issues, if any, gas mileage and overall comfort.
Drove 27 hours from AZ to NC last month in my Big Bend. I can't rave enough about what a comfortable ride it was. For reference, I am 5'5" and the seat felt great. I did have some neck pain from focusing for such a long period, but my lower back was unscathed meaning the lumbar support did its job. Gas mileage after 27 hours of highway driving was 29.5 MPG, even driving at an average speed of 78 MPH and being stuck in stop-and-go traffic in a few cities. I do not have 360+, but I'd imagine the drive would have been even easier based on what folks are saying. My only gripe is that the 1.5L engine is a bit sluggish at times compared to the 2.0L on the Badlands. Acceleration isn't perfect, but it is peppy enough to keep up with the speed of traffic with no issues. The lane assist and being able to have Google Maps up on the screen has absolutely spoiled me, as my last car was a 2013 with no technology.
Looking forward to the bigger engine and heated seats on my ordered Badlands, but besides those couple upgrades, I couldn't imagine a much better ride. It's the best road trip vehicle I've ever driven, hands down.

OP
OP
BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your input! I'll be taking a couple of trips from Colorado to Las Vegas and Socal this summer and I'm curious how well the 3cyl performs over long distances.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for your input! I'll be taking a couple of trips from Colorado to Las Vegas and Socal this summer and I'm curious how well the 3cyl performs over long distances.
Absolutely. One thing I forgot to mention - The shifting issues people experience with the 3 cyl at lower speeds are entirely gone at highway speeds. It's a much more responsive transmission when you're going above 55. I think you'll be pleased during your travels. Be safe and enjoy!

OP
OP
BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that! I surely plan to enjoy the travel and feel more confident that the li'l 3 banger will get the job done. I also have the co-pilot 360 assist and am excited to see how performs on the highway. I haven't had many chances to use it yet.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Neighbor has loaded OB, recently drove to east end of Tennessee from here (near Houston) round trip. 3 people and luggage for a week...
Raved about the overall noise levels and ride quality. I'm looking forward to some spring road trips...

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've taken my BS BB on a 3hr drive on an interstate 4x over last two weeks. No problems with engine, transmission, etc. 30mpg on highway. The lane centering, copilot assist, adaptive cruise control functions all work well.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I’m at 22,000 miles with my loaded OB. Most of those are highway miles. It‘s great on long trips. It’s quiet, roomy, comfortable, and I generally get mid 30’s MPG. Auto headlights, auto wipers, lane keeping, lane centering, adaptive cruise, etc all work together wonderfully to make a very enjoyable driving experience.

OP
OP
BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for your info. Since I've only been driving in town and only occasionally highway, my gas mileage has hovered around 27 mpg. So I'll be interested in seeing if extended freeway travel gets it up over the 30 mpg mark. We'll be going west during the higher temps so that might have an impact.

OBnowa24

Outer Banks
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks; 2005 F-150
I haven't done any crazy drives in my OB yet. We plan on taking a trip from GA to PA in May, but overall its super comfy overall just like everyone else is saying. Even though I'm running 235/65R18 AT3's it still drives amazingly! Of course you have the tire humming from the off road tires, but coming from driving a 05 F-150 with 275's on it....that really doesn't bother me :)

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
drove across western canada last summer. loved the sport, can't really complain about anything tbh. this summer we are heading to Tuktoyaktuk, that should be a solid test haha.

OP
OP
BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would love to read how that trip goes, if for no other reason than to hear about the great scenery!

fog53

Big Bend
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Bought my Sport last year and two weeks later made a round trip from Florida to Wyoming. We drove a combination of back roads and Interstates. While in Wyoming we drove some off road trails .Gas mileage probably averaged around 29mpg. Comfort level was really good. Limited storage space was the only issue I would say we had. We have another trip planned for this November and I'm pretty sure we'll get into some snow in our exploring the rockies.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Sorry, I can't comment on the 1.5 'cause I have the 2.0 BL. BUT, I have an experience from my 3K mile round trip to New Mexico. My Grand-Daughter wanted to test the lane minding, so took both hands off the wheel. First came the message "put your hands on the wheel!" She ignored it. Then started a loud alarm! She ignored it! THEN, the Sport turned off the Cruise control and hit the brakes! THAT got her attention!

OP
OP
BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's funny! Hopefully this wasn't tried during rush hour in Albuquerque! Lol!:like:
Sponsored