Little plastic flap deflectors in front of the rear wheels -- what's up w/that?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
like the title says...what's up with those little flap deflectors IN FRONT OF the rear wheels?
Sponsored

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
like the title says...what's up with those little flap deflectors IN FRONT OF the rear wheels?
I noticed them too...they are in the front of the front wheels too and I came up with the same conclusion as tallmansd did.

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Aerodynamics. The leading edge of the tires is a prime drag area. Diversion of air flow creates low pressure in front of the tires. If you look you’ll see widespread use of these flaps on most light vehicles, front and rear. They have been there for many years as mpg requirements have increased.

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2018/09/19/wheels-impact-on-the-aerodynamics-of-a-wrc-car/

Example of the same flap on my 2013 Escape:
Ford Bronco Sport Little plastic flap deflectors in front of the rear wheels -- what's up w/that? 02435BE4-D5CC-4EDB-898D-075ED2CB5C60

Last edited:
OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I noticed them too...they are in the front of the front wheels too and I came up with the same conclusion as tallmansd did.
Sales guy I asked said so, I was doubtful -- they look tacky on the Sport. They are randomly there on the front, the back, or sometimes both -- the sales guy didn't believe me, but look at enough of them and you'll see. Look like an afterthought. Just look like they'll get hung up on something or choked with snow, etc. They are attached with little buttons, but didn't feel easily removed when I checked.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Generally used at takeoff and landing but can be used for STOL flight.
But seriously I was wondering about those in front of the front wheels, do look strange.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Aerodynamics. The leading edge of the tires is a prime drag area. Diversion of air flow creates low pressure in front of the tires. If you look you’ll see widespread use of these flaps on most light vehicles, front and rear. They have been there for many years as mpg requirements have increased.

https://www.wrcwings.tech/2018/09/19/wheels-impact-on-the-aerodynamics-of-a-wrc-car/

Example of the same flap on my 2013 Escape:
Ford Bronco Sport Little plastic flap deflectors in front of the rear wheels -- what's up w/that? 02435BE4-D5CC-4EDB-898D-075ED2CB5C60
"On most of the gravel rallies, where the car is raised to higher positions, the efficiency of the deflector would be minimal, so they are not normally used (as they are easily removable). Also, Citroën only uses it in the rear wheels, probably because the front splitter is so low that it has the same effect as a deflector...". A front-end, full-width air dam seems to replace this strategy in a lot of low ride height applications. I wonder how much Sport engineering and testing went into this, and whether its inclusion is intentionally varied depending upon trim and options (wheels, ride height)?

maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone know what the official name of those little flaps is?
One of mine got loose and got chewed up by the tire, so I'm looking for a replacement part.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Have any of you folks noticed the cavity ahead of the little flap? It WILL fill with mud and slush. The drain hole in it is Bs.

nategannam

Outer Banks
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Anyone know a part number? Ford doesn't seem to have replacements
Sponsored