Lift/Additional Support for BS Badlands/FE (Please Read This Aftermarket Engineers and Vendors)

Is the current aftermarket support for the BS Sport acceptable as an off-road vehicle?

• Total voters

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands/ 2018 Edge Titanium
So it seems to me that the aftermarket is almost exclusively focusing on the big Bronco, and due to that, we aren't getting all the mods and aftermarket support we were promised when these were released. There are already aftermarket rock sliders for the big Bronco, Nudge bars, bumpers, 2"+ lifts, a whole freakin' world of aftermarket support, etc. Then, the aftermarket gives all the other Bronco Sport trims 1.5" lifts and those of us who have the Badlands or FE, we are limited to a 1" lift. Why can't we at least get the same amount of aftermarket lift as the lower trims? While you cannot body lift a unibody vehicle, you can absolutely do a full IFS suspension lift because it is just upgrading stock suspension components with bigger components which will add more clearance while keep stock suspension geometry. PSA to all the aftermarket providers; I will spend another $1.5k+ to put 32 inch shoes on my BS Badlands to have the same amount of clearance (or at least close to) on my Sport as a Big Bronco with the Sasquatch Package at 11.3". I don't need 33"+ shoes and regearing, but it would be nice to see some of the same love as the big Bronco, (and this is coming from someone who will be getting the big steed as well) in the near future.

https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-suspension-lift-kit-40100.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwgISIBhBfEiwALE19SSO3iSDd3OXTG7YNt5dSrofSNOOM-AtDRN43LUKIU1CNZUcBWd16uxoChp8QAvD_BwE

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2021-Bronco-Sport-ReadyLift-15-SST-Lift-Kit_p_48212.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwgISIBhBfEiwALE19SfgZgjtoXqBOT98ooa-oWZWOUIaVzYP9bmZ9mwkSHvsxvdX4JhfaBRoCIpkQAvD_BwE

Meanwhile look at this ugly dang kit. I foresee a lot of rust breakdown with this 1 inch kit made out of steel:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-wheel-parts-factory-leveling-spacer-kit-62207k/_/R-4WPBR-62207K
Sponsored

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Better skid plates and rock rails. Please. Really, pretty please. Just like the ones in the 4wp sport build from awhile back.

Really, take my money. I'll pay a pretty penny for it!

The clearance is good enough for what I do, but I really want a bit more protection. The skid plates on the badlands are better than nothing, but they leave a lot exposed.

More clearance doesn't help much with a branch/root going through the plastic underneath the front bumper and into the radiator. A bit more protection there will.

OP
OP
tshaw03

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better skid plates and rock rails. Please. Really, pretty please. Just like the ones in the 4wp sport build from awhile back.

Really, take my money. I'll pay a pretty penny for it!

The clearance is good enough for what I do, but I really want a bit more protection. The skid plates on the badlands are better than nothing, but they leave a lot exposed.

More clearance doesn't help much with a branch/root going through the plastic underneath the front bumper and into the radiator. A bit more protection there will.
All of the above would be fantastic. If Ford markets a vehicle as an off-road vehicle, it needs the aftermarket support to back up those claims. It needs the full suspension lifts available, the aftermarket skid plates that button up the entire underside (especially that pesky EVAP sensor), rock rails so we don't screw up our door jams and alignment, HD front and rear bumpers, or at least an HD bull bar. All of these things are doable for this machine at all trim levels, but where is the dang aftermarket support we were promised for these vehicles. 4WP teased a little but then pretty much popped smoke after their showcase with the other aftermarket manufacturers, other than the cheap 1 inch spacer lift.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ehh you realize the sport is an affordable urban off roader and they view the Bronco as the jeep killer. I would bet some stuff will appear but if you are looking hard core, trade the sport in while the market is hot and get a bronco.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Ehh you realize the sport is an affordable urban off roader and they view the Bronco as the jeep killer. I would bet some stuff will appear but if you are looking hard core, trade the sport in while the market is hot and get a bronco.
Read my mind. Dude get a big Bronco.

OP
OP
tshaw03

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read my mind. Dude get a big Bronco.
I fully intend to buy my Base Bronco with the Sasquatch package, but that is not my point. My point is that the aftermarket support just isn't there for the Sport, and it should be. With 28.5 inch tires standard on the Badlands, it has 8.3" of ground clearance, which is respectable right out of the box with zero complaints. Add the 4WP 1 inch lift and you are at 9.3" of clearance without bigger tires. When you add the 245/70R17s you add an additional 2 inches of clearance before any wearing down for a total of 11.3" of clearance which is just .3 inches shy of the big Bronco with the Sasquatch package. This means that the BS isn't just some slouch off-roader but has a lot of potential to be outstanding with just a few small modifications. The Renegade has aftermarket rock sliders offered for goodness sake. It would not be hard to have a IFS 2" lifted strut suspension lift for just around $300 like RC does for every other application (in order to make just a little more room for suspension travel. I understand that Ford doesn't want the Sport to cannibalize its big brother, but the aftermarket can do whatever it wants, and the Sport deserves more aftermarket support. A small suspension lift, rock sliders, and some additional small skid plates is all the Sport would ever need to be outstanding off-road.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I fully intend to buy my Base Bronco with the Sasquatch package, but that is not my point. My point is that the aftermarket support just isn't there for the Sport, and it should be. With 28.5 inch tires standard on the Badlands, it has 8.3" of ground clearance, which is respectable right out of the box with zero complaints. Add the 4WP 1 inch lift and you are at 9.3" of clearance without bigger tires. When you add the 245/70R17s you add an additional 2 inches of clearance before any wearing down for a total of 11.3" of clearance which is just .3 inches shy of the big Bronco with the Sasquatch package. This means that the BS isn't just some slouch off-roader but has a lot of potential to be outstanding with just a few small modifications. The Renegade has aftermarket rock sliders offered for goodness sake. It would not be hard to have a IFS 2" lifted strut suspension lift for just around $300 like RC does for every other application (in order to make just a little more room for suspension travel. I understand that Ford doesn't want the Sport to cannibalize its big brother, but the aftermarket can do whatever it wants, and the Sport deserves more aftermarket support. A small suspension lift, rock sliders, and some additional small skid plates is all the Sport would ever need to be outstanding off-road.
Absolutely understand what you are saying and I'm playing devil's advocate and saying one is viewed as an affordable entry level off road capable that will spend more time rolling curbs in a subdivision with an occasional excursion through thick grass for parking vs the other which is a XXEP killer by intent. If I'm an aftermarket company and I have to invest tooling...my money is on the money. Throw the sport a bone, give the bronco what it wants. It's economics and yes feelings will be hurt...but common sense says they wouldn't sell ten thousand units.

OP
OP
tshaw03

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely understand what you are saying and I'm playing devil's advocate and saying one is viewed as an affordable entry level off road capable that will spend more time rolling curbs in a subdivision with an occasional excursion through thick grass for parking vs the other which is a XXEP killer by intent. If I'm an aftermarket company and I have to invest tooling...my money is on the money. Throw the sport a bone, give the bronco what it wants. It's economics and yes feelings will be hurt...but common sense says they wouldn't sell ten thousand units.
Oh trust me, I know the market is going to lean heavily towards the big Bronco. It would just be nice to see a little more from the aftermarket community.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I mean lift wise your talking about capability you just listed puts it at .3 of the big bronco. So that sounds pretty respectable (reference 13Mike’s tooling comment) plus everyone’s labor force and supply chain is facing difficulties right now. It’s year 1 for BSport. Give them a little time. I’m sure more will come. If they support the big first eventually, they’re going to realize (they already know) they’re missing out on a ton of money by not including the sports. I think it will happen.

Last edited:

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I say give it more time....but definitely interested in a skid plate under the bumper and the rocksliders that I seen with the 4WP project car. If I can find a STOP ? sign without stealing one ...I might go to a weld shop and get that installed under the bumper lol

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Full agreement about the skid plates and lift. To be honest, had Ford offered a $2500cdn off road package for the 1.5l engines with real skid plates, rock sliders, choice of A/T tyres on steel rims dealer installed, and the better suspension, I would have taken it.
As it is, patience and the after market will get it there.

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
I’m in full agreement, I’d happily drop 1-1.5k on a 3” suspension lift should one exist.

I’d also pay a pretty penny for rock sliders and skid plates.

Say what you want about should have bought the big bronco, but the timing, price, size (for parking in the city.) and mpg suited me better. I just wanna put big shoes on it so I can play in the mountains in the weekends and still sit tall on the freeway weekdays.
Sponsored