Latest recall for 2023 bronco sport

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
At least Ford is replacing that possibly defective part.
All the folks under the possibly cracked/leaky fuel injector recall get is a ā€œtubeā€ to drain away leaked fuel and some sort of
ā€warningā€ (fire alarm) that your fuel rail has dropped pressure. Maybe Ford should change the name of those affected vehicles from Bronco Sport to Pinto II.

Suzysparks

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
At least Ford is replacing that possibly defective part.
All the folks under the possibly cracked/leaky fuel injector recall get is a ā€œtubeā€ to drain away leaked fuel and some sort of
ā€warningā€ (fire alarm) that your fuel rail has dropped pressure. Maybe Ford should change the name of those affected vehicles from Bronco Sport to Pinto II.
What do you think Ford should do instead?

OP
OP

Lulu

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Heritage
Ughā€¦Iā€™m in that window. Built on December 12th. I noticed it said only 801 or so impacted. Iā€™m pretty sure they built more than 800 in that window. Fun times.
I went online to the recall page and entered my vin and it came back with 0 recall, but it may have been too early so I will keep checking. And I thought I was home free with the heritage.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you think Ford should do instead?
If Ford changed the design or supplier to prevent cracks/leaks in the injectors and installed that version going forward, wouldnā€™t you want that version in your recalled BS? Injectors are not super expensive.

Suzysparks

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
I went online to the recall page and entered my vin and it came back with 0 recall, but it may have been too early so I will keep checking. And I thought I was home free with the heritage.
I went online too and it came back with 0 also. Guess Iā€™ll keep checking since Iā€™m in the build window.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If Ford changed the design or supplier to prevent cracks/leaks in the injectors and installed that version going forward, wouldnā€™t you want that version in your recalled BS? Injectors are not super expensive.
There is no evidence that the injectors Ford selected for the 1.5L engine are subpar. There are millions of these vehicles operating around the world and only a handful of cases involving defective injectors. I find it extremely unlikely that a critical component like a fuel injector would make it through Ford's engine testing program. I think this is more an issue with the basic design of the engine rather than a subpar part.

A defective fuel injector (or hose, fitting, etc.) that allows raw fuel into the engine compartment is always a possibility, for any car. The question is what is different about the 1.5L installation in the Bronco Sport (and Escape) that makes this possible malfunction a fire risk? It's incumbent on manufacturers to perform risk analysis and design mitigation strategies in the event a particular failure can result in damage or injury. The powertrain control modules that manage our engines are a good example. These "learning" computers keep track of engine operating parameters and environmental conditions (temperature, altitude, etc.) to ensure the engine doesn't operate in a way that causes damage, and if it detects a fault that may result in damage it severely limits power output (limp mode) until the fault is remedied.

In the case of this recall I suspect Ford failed to identify places in the engine compartment where flammable liquids/vapors can gather in quantities to present a fire danger. Typically, air flow through the engine compartment takes care of vapors, and the installation of drains in low areas around the engine takes care of liquids. Clearly, Ford did not install drains in the low spots where raw fuel can collect, hence the recall to rectify the design error.

Whip

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
How can I find the production date of my 2023 BSBB?
We just barely dodged this one. Ours was built Dec. 19, three days later. I'm sure more vehicles will become affected overtime. But for now that's a relief.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel Ford pointing out a issue and fixing it is a positive, yet so many have a knee jerk reaction to a recall as a negative?
I don't object to recalls at all. My previous Mustang had two for air bags, and my F150 had two for transmission unanounced/random downshift issues ( the second one was because the first one didn't work as planned).
I agree Ford is pointing out a potential hazard, and "fixing" it. My knee jerk reaction is I cannot see how installing a "drain" to hopefully drain away a flammable liquid and fumes from a hot engine before it catches fire is a "fix". Oh yes, if their new software reprogram detects a drop in pressure in the fuel rail it will surely notify you that you are a candidate for an engine fire and better get out and away from your vehicle right now.
As you have one/more too, opinions are like elbows. We all have a couple, & I just expressed mine on this particular recall fix.
As info, my particular BS/OB missed the brake recall by a days. It has the "new & better" friction compound brake pads and I thought it stops great. Very smooth and without a lot of pedal pressure. And yes they shed excessive dust. I don't care about that. It washes off, but some folks who have had that recall completed sure do let us know how much they don't care for that brake dust. Is that a "knee jerk" reaction?

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My knee jerk reaction is I cannot see how installing a "drain" to hopefully drain away a flammable liquid and fumes from a hot engine before it catches fire is a "fix".
What other fix is there? As I mentioned, there is ALWAYS a possibility a fuel system component will malfunction and allow raw fuel into the engine compartment. I can't think of any other way to prevent a fire than to ensure it cannot collect anywhere. In some cases that means installing a drain.

Oh yes, if their new software reprogram detects a drop in pressure in the fuel rail it will surely notify you that you are a candidate for an engine fire and better get out and away from your vehicle right now.
The driver notification is secondary. The primary purpose of the software change is to ensure the vehicle enters limp mode to reduce the amount of fuel going to the engine. This is another way to prevent fuel collecting in enough volume to pose a fire risk.

jsf

Outer Banks
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX
So I'm supposed to pick up my OBX built on 12/13 tomorrow. I called the dealer and he says he sees nothing about this. I sent him the linked recall and hope he gets back to me today. But I think it's really weird to announce a recall of cars that haven't been sold yet and let them go off hte lot without the fix being made.
Sponsored