Larger tires on the spare? Will it fit? how to store it?

Borioplata1H6

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
I have a BS BB that i have been interested in upgrading the tires on. im looking at getting the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. i wanted to swap out all of the tires to include the spare. will the spare be able to fit in the trunk container it sits in with the larger tire size? if not what is the max tire size that will fit. those of you who put the 245's on the spare how do you store it? any advice, especially with pictures is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I have a BS BB that i have been interested in upgrading the tires on. im looking at getting the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. i wanted to swap out all of the tires to include the spare. will the spare be able to fit in the trunk container it sits in with the larger tire size? if not what is the max tire size that will fit. those of you who put the 245's on the spare how do you store it? any advice, especially with pictures is greatly appreciated.
Do you have the tow package?

Do you have the factory tow hitch? If so, the rear tray is taller than the non-tow option. The 245/65/17 fits in the stock location

Ford Bronco Sport Larger tires on the spare? Will it fit? how to store it? 5d8b1cdf-fb20-4a78-a1d0-8e54acb89543-jpe

OP
OP

Borioplata1H6

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Do you have the tow package?

Do you have the factory tow hitch? If so, the rear tray is taller than the non-tow option. The 245/65/17 fits in the stock location

Ford Bronco Sport Larger tires on the spare? Will it fit? how to store it? 5d8b1cdf-fb20-4a78-a1d0-8e54acb89543-jpe
I do have the Tow package so good to know it will fit. It looks like you removed the foam insert? Also are you able to close the tray with the trunk floor?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I do have the Tow package so good to know it will fit. It looks like you removed the foam insert? Also are you able to close the tray with the trunk floor?
The foam inserts also fit back in. I re-installed them after that first picture.

Ford Bronco Sport Larger tires on the spare? Will it fit? how to store it? 1050CC95-B629-4D3C-BF4E-2F5534E29CCF

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I replaced my stock spare with a full size 225/65 after getting new tires and I don't have the tow package. I just had to move the floor to the upper slot. What is different with the tow package?

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
doesn't the tow pkg come with the full size spare so the rear tray just sits on the higher groove? when they were installing my new wheels/tires I pulled the spare and threw a new rim tire in and the cover went back on just fine. Tires were 245 65r 17.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
doesn't the tow pkg come with the full size spare so the rear tray just sits on the higher groove? when they were installing my new wheels/tires I pulled the spare and threw a new rim tire in and the cover went back on just fine. Tires were 245 65r 17.
That is correct

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The only problem with using a full size rim on mine is the stud isn't long enough to use the thumb screw to secure the tire

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I was planning on putting a 235/70/17 in there. That would be .5 inches taller and .3 inches less thick than what you have. Do you think there's room?

My goal is to utilize the spare rim and match the tire size I'm going to put on my stock 18s which will be 235/65/18
This needs to be definitively answered but if I had to place a bet on it, I'd say the diameter is to large to fit. Of the 4 AT tires I found on Tire Racks site, in a 235/70/17, the diameters varied from a low of 29.8 to a high of 30.1". Of the 4, my first choice would be the 30" Cooper AT3 4S but it's the YOKO GO15 that has the smallest diameter. Now I'm pretty sure diameters are measured when inflated, so if you carry an air pump with you at all times, like I do, you could store the spare uninflated! Then I'd bet the uninflated Yoko would fit.

FirsandFire

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I was planning on putting a 235/70/17 in there. That would be .5 inches taller and .3 inches less thick than what you have. Do you think there's room?

My goal is to utilize the spare rim and match the tire size I'm going to put on my stock 18s which will be 235/65/18
It would 100% come down to the manufacturer at that point. there are definitely variances from one maker to another in the same size tires. Worst case, you may need to air It down a bit and carry a little 12v emergency compressor.
Sponsored