Just ordered the HRG front skid plate, order number 16940!

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport badlands
I looked at the four or so available and chose HRG as one I can trust, mostly because I've watched him wheel and that's how I wheel. If he built it for himself, it's good enough for me. Yes a company that builds skid plates for others and adds the bronco sport to the line up in theory should be just as good, but I'll go with a forum member, bronco sport owner over a conglomerate that decided to include BS's.

So...cost...I'm in Canada, the plate and shipping is $438.76 US which is $596.71 Canadian so $600 Can for a front bash plate. Could I fabricate something cheaper? Hell yeah!! I built my own exoskeleton on my ranger, chopped the frame, I've built certified roll cages for NHRA drag cars, I've been a heavy diesel mechanic for 36 years and have built race engine longer than that......but.....I need it for the May 24 weekend mud run, Wife wants something that looks "professional" and "pretty" and I have to work on the toy hauler and race car before the season opens. Add that all up and just like having ford install the lift kit (for $500 I aint rolling around in the dirt, lol!!) I have higher priorities.

Like everything else, I'll video the unpack/install/bashing its first rock..lol.
Now I want rock sliders and the full under body armour as seen on that spanish video where he cut the front bumper off. (wife was hard no on cutting the front bumper off like that unfortunately, lol!!
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Only concern is from what others have brought up...how much of a PITA to remove to change the oil and filter? It will be heaver (?) then the OEM plastic.

However, some have a hole cut out for oil drain along with a removable door to access the oil filter. Does this one have these features?

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be honest, don't know and don't care. I have a badlands and have the skid plate under the engine, this is the one that covers the front bumper. That and I've taken it to the dealership for oil changes etc because it's only 15 months old. (with 30,000+ km's on it now)

I'm more function over form and if it will protect what I want, I'll pull it to do whatever is needed as long as it protects. Having shiny crap that does nothing but look pretty? Hard NO!

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I changed my oil 5 times now with the hrg skid. Takes about 5mins extra. Takes way longer uninstalling and putting back on that felt factory cover.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it on, VERY happy with it. Steel plate with hard finish, widest of all on the market.
Four bolts, hold plate up, install included bolts/washers/spacers.
Literally a 5 minute job!

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I'm 79 and do my own oil changes. That skid plate is a pain for me when doing oil changes. I will never be off-roading and do not want or need a $500+ metal plate. I am thinking of taking measurements and cutting access holes for the drain plug and oil filter in the stock felt plate. Would this be a feasible thing to do to a street driven OBX. Would there be any cons to doing this?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Would there be any cons to doing this?
I've never seen the cover for the 1.5L, but the cover on my wife's 2.0L-equipped Escape includes inlets (more of a scoop) and outlets for air movement. My assumption is these provide cooling air to driveline components. If yours includes obvious air-flow management features then you probably shouldn't cut any holes in the cover because it will change the way air flows through it.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 79 and do my own oil changes. That skid plate is a pain for me when doing oil changes. I will never be off-roading and do not want or need a $500+ metal plate. I am thinking of taking measurements and cutting access holes for the drain plug and oil filter in the stock felt plate. Would this be a feasible thing to do to a street driven OBX. Would there be any cons to doing this?
As was mentioned above, check for air management, but really, you’re 79 and don’t off road, probably means you’re not towing or working it hard regardless so I’d think it wouldn’t matter to you. If you drive it to get groceries which is 15 minutes and couple other thing 15-30 minutes and never really work it on the highway (where air management is effective) I’d do it.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I looked at the four or so available and chose HRG as one I can trust, mostly because I've watched him wheel and that's how I wheel. If he built it for himself, it's good enough for me. Yes a company that builds skid plates for others and adds the bronco sport to the line up in theory should be just as good, but I'll go with a forum member, bronco sport owner over a conglomerate that decided to include BS's.

So...cost...I'm in Canada, the plate and shipping is $438.76 US which is $596.71 Canadian so $600 Can for a front bash plate. Could I fabricate something cheaper? Hell yeah!! I built my own exoskeleton on my ranger, chopped the frame, I've built certified roll cages for NHRA drag cars, I've been a heavy diesel mechanic for 36 years and have built race engine longer than that......but.....I need it for the May 24 weekend mud run, Wife wants something that looks "professional" and "pretty" and I have to work on the toy hauler and race car before the season opens. Add that all up and just like having ford install the lift kit (for $500 I aint rolling around in the dirt, lol!!) I have higher priorities.

Like everything else, I'll video the unpack/install/bashing its first rock..lol.
Now I want rock sliders and the full under body armour as seen on that spanish video where he cut the front bumper off. (wife was hard no on cutting the front bumper off like that unfortunately, lol!!
I'm waiting for the second video. I want his style of sliders. I have the JCR version only because that's all there is.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking its purpose is more to keep rocks and small branches or other debris out from underneath. But I'll check my 2023 Outer banks model to see if its also some sort of air deflector as well. If not, it may just get a clean cut here and there to access the oil filter and drain plug without having to remove it, as I have no plans to do any off roading with it.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I'm thinking its purpose is more to keep rocks and small branches or other debris out from underneath. But I'll check my 2023 Outer banks model to see if its also some sort of air deflector as well. If not, it may just get a clean cut here and there to access the oil filter and drain plug without having to remove it, as I have no plans to do any off roading with it.
Mine won't be due for another oil change until the fall. Let me know what you decide, and I may follow suite.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine won't be due for another oil change until the fall. Let me know what you decide, and I may follow suite.
Will do.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just under mine and replaced the tin foil cover over the converter with a solid aluminum plate. (and added a skid plate between the evap cannister bash plate and the gas tank bash plate) While I was under there I was looking if there was any air management and from what I see, no. The cover will be more for aerodynamics and I suspect that's why they used it (like putting air deflectors on every car/truck now) But to actually be air management for cooling etc, no, it's not.
Sponsored