PhilterMan

Badlands
First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands and Bronco Outer Banks
My daughter just ordered a 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands and was disappointed with it not having the Tiedown on the hoods like the standard Bronco. Has anyone attempted using the Jeeps (see picture) Hood Stop as a tie-down replacement to their hood?

Or is anyone going to make an aftermarket Tiedown reinforced on the other side of the hood for strength? I know it's evil to bring up Jeep but it would be better with canoes or Kyaks!

Ford Bronco Sport Jeep Hood Bump Stops- Bronco Sport Tiedowns or Trail Alignment Jeep Hood Stop for Windshield
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
If you are only doing it for looks, then continue. If you intend to actually use them to tie down, then this is a huge safety issue for the BS. The hood is a “clamshell” hood on the BS but isn’t on the Bronco. If you put tension on the hood corners you will most likely bend the hood, especially once you are out on the highway. It is a safety issue too as you could possibly overload the hood latch and have the hood fly open on the road.

I like the looks but I also understand that they cannot be functional on the BS.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
My daughter just ordered a 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands and was disappointed with it not having the Tiedown on the hoods like the standard Bronco. Has anyone attempted using the Jeeps (see picture) Hood Stop as a tie-down replacement to their hood?

Or is anyone going to make an aftermarket Tiedown reinforced on the other side of the hood for strength? I know it's evil to bring up Jeep but it would be better with canoes or Kyaks!

Ford Bronco Sport Jeep Hood Bump Stops- Bronco Sport Tiedowns or Trail Alignment Jeep Hood Stop for Windshield
I agree with other posters regarding hood - I have early 2021 BS BL. Not ideal, but on BL you have a tow hook on each side that could be a tie down - if you can minimize rope rubbing on bumper or hood. Otherwise getting full size Bronco is the real solution.

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have a pair of these. Haven't used 'em yet though. Thule and others make similar Hood Anchor Straps: https://yakima.com/products/hoodanchor
I think these will cause the same issues that Eric mentioned. If you watch the video at about 20 seconds in you can see the hood lift when he pulls on the strap. If you get a good gust of wind under a canoe going down the road at highway speed you're gonna get a lot harder tug on that strap.

If it were me, I'd use the tow hooks in the front as a tiedown point and use some kind of stand off to keep the strap off the painted surface.

galavoxx

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Our hoods are aluminum, from what I recall. They will be more prone to deforming if dented. That said, if someone is strapping something to their hood, I am guessing they are not too worried about that. Just pop the dent out and live with it.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Our hoods are aluminum, from what I recall. They will be more prone to deforming if dented. That said, if someone is strapping something to their hood, I am guessing they are not too worried about that. Just pop the dent out and live with it.
Yes, they are made from aluminum and are already too flimsy in my opinion. I would not tie down something from my roof to my hood.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Every time I go through the carwash I'm afraid that the hood is going to blow off as it passes through the blowers.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I have a pair of these. Haven't used 'em yet though. Thule and others make similar Hood Anchor Straps: https://yakima.com/products/hoodanchor

I've used these all summer/fall. They came with the canoe. I bought my canoe in New York and drove it home to Virginia. No problems. My canoe is tied down to the cross bars. I don't believe there is much pull on the hood when you use these anchors. I have had no rubbing issues. If it matters, my canoe is only 18 lbs.

OP
OP
PhilterMan

PhilterMan

Badlands
First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands and Bronco Outer Banks
If you are only doing it for looks, then continue. If you intend to actually use them to tie down, then this is a huge safety issue for the BS. The hood is a “clamshell” hood on the BS but isn’t on the Bronco. If you put tension on the hood corners you will most likely bend the hood, especially once you are out on the highway. It is a safety issue too as you could possibly overload the hood latch and have the hood fly open on the road.

I like the looks but I also understand that they cannot be functional on the BS.
I thought Ford would take that into account, or at least use some more designs cues from the 1966, I was in Pittsburgh last week and saw a BS with a Kayak and the tie downs did hurt the paint. Anyway, thanks for the information, all that matters is my daughter loves it - and I ordered a Bronco, I bet I have to wait until the 2nd coming of Christ! LOL

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Every time I go through the carwash I'm afraid that the hood is going to blow off as it passes through the blowers.
I hear ya. Looks like lips on a dogs when his head out the window doing 55!

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
Use the 'dog bones strap" it is designed to fit under the cut out under the hood on each side. Held in place by the side panel and not the hood itself. google - look for photos.