Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Glad you are okay
It’s been four weeks since the unthinkable happened, and I got the official word two days ago: My beloved Bronco Sport Badlands is a total loss after sustaining $38,000 worth of damage in a four-car freeway crash.

Amazingly, I came out of the wreck without a scratch, but I’m an emotional wreck because I know I can’t replace it (we’ve looked — it can’t be found anywhere, and build-and-price on the Ford site won’t let me add everything mine had, I assume because they aren’t building them anymore).

I loved this car so much and buying it was the nicest thing I’ve ever done for myself, a total indulgence. All taken away by a reckless unlicensed uninsured 23-year-old idiot.

Damage was on both sides, front and back, because I got spun out and hit more than once before taking out the offramp wooden sign post.

Last three pics are after the repair shop took it apart to assess the (substantial) structural damage

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 5FDB05A9-EE25-435A-82DC-73DDF664D6B4

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 9D6D659E-EA94-4B8E-9E46-8FC97D9E0422

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 0EAA0F9A-8F2A-48FE-A1C9-FC430BE1366F

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash D439D3D9-B354-4E52-9C6E-896C5B3E8B32

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 2073F8CB-1B1A-4D9E-A0E4-EA2DE720A9C7

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 71003930-8347-4A41-B473-D78435490DDB
Glad you are OK! That is what the car is for…protect the driver!

Forget the website and go to a dealer. You should be able to get everything you had in your car in a 2022. The red has changed to a hot pepper red. I have attached the 2022 guide for you to help you. Go through it and head to the dealer to order. I built a 2022 badlands fully loaded. There was nothing in the 2022 badlands that made it so you could not get something you had in the 2021 other than changing to a different red. Scroll to bottom of document for the badlands options document.
Sponsored

Attachments

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
He was cited at the scene for being unlicensed and uninsured, plus having an unrestrained baby in the car (6-month-old on the passenger's lap, was taken to the hospital). The report lists excessive speed and unsafe lane change as the primary crash factors, but I don't know what will happen to him legally. I do know he wrecked four cars, and there were some minor injuries to the other drivers, so I expect he's going to be hit with some lawsuits. (I've considered consulting a lawyer since I'm out a car through no fault of my own, but without injuries, I doubt anyone would take the case.)
You should most certainly consult with an attorney or two as well as your insurance company. Your insurance should also have access to attorneys to help. There will always be someone to take the case and your case is pretty cut and dry if all you want/need is your vehicle replaced. Realistically though what will probably happen is your insurance will probably cut you a check for your Bronco Sport, less your deductible and then reimburse you for the deductible at a later date if/when a judgement is won against this guy and he’s somehow able to pay something. Hopefully you have decent insurance and coverage for uninsured motorists.

Raff Catalan

First Name
Raff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Wildtrak
Sincerely, you are afraid that "subject isso" has caused a total loss of the vehicle that has become a custodian of repair. I also didn't understand why total insurance doesn't allow you to buy another Bronco?

Did any damage occur to the mechanical part or structural commitment?

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
In a no fault state your insurance company will handle everything unless you have injuries that rise to a certain level, which luckily you do not have. Your insurance company will pay you out. I have worked in law enforcement in a no fault state as well as worked in insurance arbitration and I will say you are really out of luck to do anything.

IN a no fault state, your insurance company will pay you out for the car, not the other company (if there were one). If there were another insurance company, which there is not, your insurance company would subrogate to get their $$ back which they cannot.

You are always free to sue the driver yourself, but sadly an attorney will probably not take a property damage case without injuries. Also your insurance company only provides attorneys to you when you are being sued.

No fault states have their good and bad side. In this case It is bad for you. On the flip side it protects your from massive lawsuits for a small fender bender when someone yells whiplash which is common in fault states such as Nevada.

OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
Sincerely, you are afraid that "subject isso" has caused a total loss of the vehicle that has become a custodian of repair. I also didn't understand why total insurance doesn't allow you to buy another Bronco?

Did any damage occur to the mechanical part or structural commitment?
The estimate got up to $38,000 once they took it apart and noted extensive structural damage. The rear cargo flooring is buckled, both rear rails are bent and the front would have to be cut apart and welded back together (at least one front rail is yanked out of alignment, too). The right side rear door is crumpled in from where it slammed into the wooden offramp sign post (sheered off a 4x4 post completely).

My insurance doesn’t have a replacement option. I’m getting a very fair settlement — they valued it at $42,000 — but as we know, these beauties have become difficult to find, so even if you can find one, it’s marked up to the heavens.

WarHorse1B

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Had an 18yo hit me in my mustang. She had no insurance. I talked to my lawyer. Unfortunately he told me she probably didn’t have any assets. So suing her wouldn’t be worth it. He said at best could have her wages garnished, but would takes years to recover losses. I know my insurance company sued her. They haven’t recovered any money yet and that was in 2014! I still haven’t been reimbursed my $500 deductible.

OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should most certainly consult with an attorney or two as well as your insurance company. Your insurance should also have access to attorneys to help. There will always be someone to take the case and your case is pretty cut and dry if all you want/need is your vehicle replaced. Realistically though what will probably happen is your insurance will probably cut you a check for your Bronco Sport, less your deductible and then reimburse you for the deductible at a later date if/when a judgement is won against this guy and he’s somehow able to pay something. Hopefully you have decent insurance and coverage for uninsured motorists.
The settlement will pay off the loan and I’ll net close to $16,000. I hope to get back most or all of the $3,000 extended warranty. So all in all, I’m not out a horrible amount of money. I just really miss that fantastic car (going to see about getting a 2022 now).

OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an 18yo hit me in my mustang. She had no insurance. I talked to my lawyer. Unfortunately he told me she probably didn’t have any assets. So suing her wouldn’t be worth it. He said at best could have her wages garnished, but would takes years to recover losses. I know my insurance company sued her. They haven’t recovered any money yet and that was in 2014! I still haven’t been reimbursed my $500 deductible.
The only small glimmer of hope would be that the car was registered to someone else, but I don’t know how much liability that person would have for letting this guy drive their car like a damn fool.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
The settlement will pay off the loan and I’ll net close to $16,000. I hope to get back most or all of the $3,000 extended warranty. So all in all, I’m not out a horrible amount of money. I just really miss that fantastic car (going to see about getting a 2022 now).
Pick up a bronco base ,they are actually less money than my first edition.base bronco 38450 plus tax

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 319B2118-69D2-44EF-8DEB-9CEE6E0E6CEE

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
It’s been four weeks since the unthinkable happened, and I got the official word two days ago: My beloved Bronco Sport Badlands is a total loss after sustaining $38,000 worth of damage in a four-car freeway crash.

Amazingly, I came out of the wreck without a scratch, but I’m an emotional wreck because I know I can’t replace it (we’ve looked — it can’t be found anywhere, and build-and-price on the Ford site won’t let me add everything mine had, I assume because they aren’t building them anymore).

I loved this car so much and buying it was the nicest thing I’ve ever done for myself, a total indulgence. All taken away by a reckless unlicensed uninsured 23-year-old idiot.

Damage was on both sides, front and back, because I got spun out and hit more than once before taking out the offramp wooden sign post.

Last three pics are after the repair shop took it apart to assess the (substantial) structural damage

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 5FDB05A9-EE25-435A-82DC-73DDF664D6B4

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 9D6D659E-EA94-4B8E-9E46-8FC97D9E0422

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 0EAA0F9A-8F2A-48FE-A1C9-FC430BE1366F

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash D439D3D9-B354-4E52-9C6E-896C5B3E8B32

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 2073F8CB-1B1A-4D9E-A0E4-EA2DE720A9C7

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash 71003930-8347-4A41-B473-D78435490DDB
Base bronco 38450.If you like a rag top .There ok ,a little bigger than sport.

Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash D4DC1E14-535C-45A5-8976-7A8C46B10FCD

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The estimate got up to $38,000 once they took it apart
Honestly, that's a little weird. Vehicles are "totaled" well below actual cost. But do you have full replacement...

My insurance doesn’t have a replacement option.
... oh. That's unfortunate. You have to find an insurer with that option for new cars. Always get full coverage replacement because the depreciation is usually a bear.

..they valued it at $42,000
Well, that changes things. That sounds like a very fair settlement. Do you really want another 2021, or would you take a 2022? The only thing you wouldn't get on a '22 is the Rapid Red. You could get everything else plus the minor '22 improvements. You can probably secure MSRP on a '22 by going to the right dealer, and there are a LOT of dealers in the Bay Area. Lock in the price. A similarly equipped vehicle would probably price out to under 40k. Use the 3k difference and see if the insurance has a second payout, for a loaner or rental, until Dec when you could expect to get a '22 based on current predictions. You'll get the warranty price moved to the new car or refunded. It hasn't even taken effect so there might be a $100 service fee or something but it can be done in such a short amount of time passed.

If you are 100% dead set on a '21 Rapid Red, I know some are still getting delivered places but you would need to be willing to get it from anywhere, even Arizona or Georgia or wherever it lands and you'd need some Ford person's help and a bit of luck securing the car because people are still snapping them up. I see those deliveries get posted on the group sometimes. Me, I'd try to line up the '22 the way I wanted it. Seems like a less hectic hassle even though it is 2 months of it to endure.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Glad you are ok. Use current comparisons to try to get more $$. Good luck.
Keep us apprised of your Bronco hunt.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Just be glad you’re okay! The bronco sport can get replaced. You could get a settlement for the totaled vehicle and then buy back the wrecked car. On a unibody car once the welded seams break apart in the rear quarter panel, etc it’s not good. Plus once it’s torn apart they would do a supplemental and find more damage. If you’re good with a wrench, I would ask the insurance company how much for the salvage title. The chips and parts are worth money. I’m guessing the engine and transmission, glass, wheels, etc are probably good. The bronco sport is one tough ? pony.

As far as legal remedies talk to an attorney, the accident attorneys will typically give you 10-20 minutes free. But they usually want to see medical bills, a trip to the emergency room, ambulance, etc. The guy that hit you is a deadbeat, no insurance, no license, no job, no house, no assets? unfortunately, there is no one to shake a stick at. glad you made it out ok!

OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An update: It quickly became apparent that getting a nearly identical 2021 was essentially impossible, so today I placed an order for a 2022. I’m waffling about the hot pepper red color — they had a 2019 hot pepper red Ranger on the lot, and boy, it can sure look orange in full sunlight. But that’s what I chose, for now at least.

It’s actually going to cost a tiny bit less than my destroyed BS despite adding the cargo management system to everything the old one had, and I’ll get the $1,000 incentive rebate.

Unfortunately, it’s got priority code 19, so I’ll be waiting a long time. My birthday is in April, so maybe?

It’s just a tiny bit rude that the confirmation is a rapid red model, though …
Ford Bronco Sport It gave its life for me. Badlands totaled in four-car freeway crash FBF809AC-CAF0-4508-AD87-48F3D189C332