It appears all automakers are struggling to control their dealers.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
If they are planning to sell at MSRP, then the resale market will be quite happy. I know this is only anecdotal but a couple from our church that were hippie types in the 60’s have already said they would pay $30k over sticker.

These nostalgic vehicles that are popular are high profits and someone is going to be making money.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I know there are pros to the middleman dealership model, like having multiple service locations for warranty work (in competition, rather than a conglomerate) ... but more and more each day, I truly wish I could pull up an app on my phone and order a car, with whatever options I want, at set prices, straight from the dealer. This last car purchase for my Bronco has launched me firmly into that camp. Dealerships hold way too much power. It's time to bring that power back to the consumer and their money.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It's time to bring that power back to the consumer and their money.
Vote. Dealerships hold all the power because of the laws they've lobbied for. The only way to take it back is to get the right people in government.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Vote. Dealerships hold all the power because of the laws they've lobbied for. The only way to take it back is to get the right people in government.
Trust me, sir. I do.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Still have a low supply issue for high demand vehicles and dealers are more then happy to take advantage of the market conditions.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Yup. Because old people have a LOT more disposable income than young people.
You're smoking something there Mark, much like the days of the folks driving these VW buses!

If it were not for the fact that this Buzz will be an EV, I'd be in line trading in the BS for this Buzz!

I've had one air cooled VW bus, and one with the water cooled heads (an 84) in years past, and the 84 was a Westy. Boy do I have memories of those...

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Still have a low supply issue for high demand vehicles and dealers are more then happy to take advantage of the market conditions.
I deplore high markups on hard to find vehicles, but I understand the motivation for dealers to make that money rather than selling a vehicle to someone who will turn around and resell it for more. The only real solution is to have manufacturing meet demand more quickly that they are apparently able to.

And, as much as it seems like getting rid of dealers is the solution, I think that a middle road is probably best for the consumer... allow the dealers to stay for those that want to go to them and be convinced to buy options they may not have been aware of, and allow the manufacturers to sell direct to those of us who prefer to order what we want for a set price. Dealerships were originally the antidote to the manufacturers having a monopoly, but now the dealers have too much of an upper hand on consumers and the manufacturers are suffering because consumers become mad at the brand thanks to the dealers' shenanigans.

Last edited:

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
If it were not for the fact that this Buzz will be an EV, I'd be in line trading in the BS for this Buzz!
Personally I am holding out hope for a PHEV Bronco Sport. I like the BS more than I thought I would, even though I mainly bought it bc my last car got totaled and it was in the right price range for the vehicle type I wanted, plus I liked the look. Given my druthers, though, I was planning to buy a PHEV in a couple years, after buying the wife and EV next year when the Fiat 500e arrives (she currently drives an ICE Fiat 500 sport). As much of a pain as it would be to buy 3 cars in 3 years, I'd be all over trading in my BS for a PHEV BS in 2 years (or 1 if it came out next year!)

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
EV next year when the Fiat 500e arrives
Just an FYI, I got this in my email yesterday and my dealership has already called me about an order. So if your wife is serious, she may want to inquire soon.

Ford Bronco Sport It appears all automakers are struggling to control their dealers. 1686159424310

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Just an FYI, I got this in my email yesterday and my dealership has already called me about an order. So if your wife is serious, she may want to inquire soon.

Ford Bronco Sport It appears all automakers are struggling to control their dealers. 1686159424310
Thanks for the heads up. I got a similar email a while back, and have been in contact with the one local dealer that is supposed to carry Fiats.
What did your dealer say to you about putting in an order? I was under the impression that ordering would not be open until they announce in November, and the dealer I have been in touch with has not been especially helpful, which is somewhat understanding since I am not going to be a customer until they have the ability to put in an order for the 500e. I am also a little worried that they won't even get any of them, since it seems like some VA dealers (by manufacturer) are averse to EVs for some reason. I tried looking into the Rav4 Prime and it turns out that they are not sold in VA.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What did your dealer say to you about putting in an order?
They just said they appreciated the Abarths I bought in the past and would like to reserve one of these for me. If so, they’d make sure I was first on their list and they would not charge over MSRP. I told them I was not interested, but thank you.

As for your EV and Virginia comments, some States are avoiding them as the dealerships lose more sales than they gain when they sell EVs. That is not a problem in Illinois but I was reading it is in certain areas of the country. For example, RAV4 Primes are a huge waiting list and very popular here.

Relax Mark! I shall NOT go back to the dark-side!

Last edited: