Is the BS 1.5L EcoBoost the same 1.5L that have had coolant leak issues?

BaseOrBust

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus
Doesn't seem to be the same. The 1.6 & 1.5 Liter engines in this article were in-line 4 cylinders, offered from 2013-2019 respectively in the Escape. Pretty sure these engines are now defunct. The 1.5 liter Dragon ecoboost engine in the Bronco Sport is a 3 cylinder engine.

Last edited:

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Doesn't seem to be the same. The 1.6 & 1.5 Liter engines in this article were in-line 4 cylinders, offered from 2013-2019 respectively in the Escape. Pretty sure these engines are now defunct. The 1.5 liter Dragon ecoboost engine in the Bronco Sport is a 3 cylinder engine.

That is correct, those engines were four cylinders and this is the replacement. The problem with the coolant leakage on the four cylinders shouldn't affect the 1.5 3-cylinder Dragon.

My primary concern for the 3-cylinder is the BIO timing belt. Hopefully, it will prove more reliable than their earlier attempt ten years ago (Ford Europe).

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I found the service Interval for this new 'Wet Belt' It's 150,000 miles. I'll trade mine well before 100k miles on a new model.
Probably a Hybrid or full EV I'd think :D

OP
OP

MizzouMan_2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 C-Max Energi, 2018 Silverado LT
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Although jumping on the first year of a new model of redesign mashed be nervous, I definitely don't want to jump into something with a KNOWN issue (i.e. Ford focus transmission).

kmac1036

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
If you're worried at all, pick up a ford protect plan from floodfordesp.com

I'm planning on doing that for the one we're signing papers on this week. This one will be the 3rd EcoBoost in the household. 100k on a 2L Fusion & 75k on a 3.5L F150. No complaints here.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Although jumping on the first year of a new model of redesign mashed be nervous, I definitely don't want to jump into something with a KNOWN issue (i.e. Ford focus transmission).

Gogoggansgo

Outer Banks
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta st
For those that don’t know the 411 with this engine in the bronco sport. First and foremost the previous gEN 1.6/1.5 4 cylinder used in everything from the fusion to the fiesta st is a great engine but it’s a good example of what happens when you downsize too aggressively. The fiesta st is a great example I’m running a hybrid turbo with single port injection making 350whp on e40 and beat it like it doesn’t know. You wouldn’t be able to do this in the other variants because it’s over stressed in the escape & fusion. Small engine with an open deck blocks and a small turbo, causes all sorts of block to cylinder head movement. This is why the new 1.5 3 cylinder is truly a next gEN engine, semi clocked deck block, both direct/ port injection, timing chain vs belt. And it’s also a twin scroll turbo meaning it’ll support some serious power with a tune

remember this engine in the bronco sport and new escape is the same in the MK8 fiesta st in the euro markets the main difference is the tuning 87 “regular gas” vs 98 Ron for euro markets

aka regular vs premium, this is why the rating is much lower and why i wouldn’t recommend premium unless you’re running a tune, high elevation or towing

Gogoggansgo

Outer Banks
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta st
I found the service Interval for this new 'Wet Belt' It's 150,000 miles. I'll trade mine well before 100k miles on a new model.
Probably a Hybrid or full EV I'd think :D
The dragon engine has no timing belt

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well, the video does specifically state "camshaft chains" and the graphic shows chains on the timing set. I'd say it's a timing chain based on that.