Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
I'd prefer cloth just due to heat.. but it feels like you either get cloth seats and the AM radio, or leather with everything.. :crackup:

All manual seats would be annoying.. and a lot less adjustable.
The big bend with big bend package has cloth seats and motorized driver seat. The leather seats was one reason why I did that instead of outer banks.
Sponsored

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I'd prefer cloth just due to heat.. but it feels like you either get cloth seats and the AM radio, or leather with everything.. :crackup:

All manual seats would be annoying.. and a lot less adjustable.
I believe you are misinformed. The Badlands have 8-way adjustable power Driver seat. The Passenger is 6-way manual without the BL package.

The BL package adds Power adjustability to the front passenger seat.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
totally forgot about the bash plates! yes resale value is also on my mind as well just in case i decide to part ways with it at some point. i just don’t know how these will depreciate, i’m sure the badlands package will help but i personally don’t like the leather seats :(

you think the 2 engines will have the same reliability/maintenance cost? 1.5 vs 2.0 eco boost?
If you are the type to buy and keep your car for a decade + I wouldn't worry about resale value that much. In the end... you should be happy with your purchase for a decade.

If you are the type that trades in cars before or at around 3-5 yrs... then by all means... resale value away.

If you plan on going off the beaten path often.. and pushing the car near its limits.. things will break and need replacement.. but with that said the two ecoboost engines have been around a while and have mostly had all its bugs worked out.
If you want to "rock climb" the Badlands is the way to go. It has additional modes.. plus extra "diff locker" and transmission cooler to keep everything safe.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The BL will have a much higher resale or trade value down the road.

I changed my original order to the "orange" but changed it back to black after so many people on multiple discussion groups thought the orange was too "yellow school bus." I believe some of the early pictures had the BS orange looking like a nice golden orange, but recent pictures confirm it's more school bus colored.

I don't want to find a line of kids in the morning waiting to get on the "bus."

Meathanky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I got the BL without the BL Package, went with the active orange trim on cloth seats as really was not a fan of the brown/black leather. As for what I'm missing out on its not a big deal. duel climate control? I don't get it. Its a small cabin so really doesn't matter as I have now and its always set the same. Sunroof I don't like gets hot and can have less weight up top. Ill have a basket up there or cargo box anyway You Still have the power in drivers seat just not passenger, ahhh oh well. Upgraded sound would be nice but I'm sure Howard stern will sound just fine on the stock. I did go with Carbonized grey with a black roof ,the tow package and upgraded wheels with bigger tires.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I got the BL without the BL Package, went with the active orange trim on cloth seats as really was not a fan of the brown/black leather. As for what I'm missing out on its not a big deal. duel climate control? I don't get it. Its a small cabin so really doesn't matter as I have now and its always set the same. Sunroof I don't like gets hot and can have less weight up top. Ill have a basket up there or cargo box anyway You Still have the power in drivers seat just not passenger, ahhh oh well. Upgraded sound would be nice but I'm sure Howard stern will sound just fine on the stock. I did go with Carbonized grey with a black roof ,the tow package and upgraded wheels with bigger tires.
I'm Cyber Orange, with Active orange Trim on cloth seats.. Got the tow package and wheel package as well.

I'll probably be upgrading the sound after I get it though.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
If you are the type to buy and keep your car for a decade + I wouldn't worry about resale value that much. In the end... you should be happy with your purchase for a decade.

If you are the type that trades in cars before or at around 3-5 yrs... then by all means... resale value away.

If you plan on going off the beaten path often.. and pushing the car near its limits.. things will break and need replacement.. but with that said the two ecoboost engines have been around a while and have mostly had all its bugs worked out.
If you want to "rock climb" the Badlands is the way to go. It has additional modes.. plus extra "diff locker" and transmission cooler to keep everything safe.
truthfully speaking, i feel like i will almost never push the BL to its full limits (unless I start going on group outings). I say this bc a lot of the off-roading I do ends up being spontaneous solo trips and i’m always on the cautious side by not trying things that may possible get me stranded. so i see myself using the BS for things i currently do in a stock subaru forester + slightly more difficult terrain i wouldn’t attempt in my subaru.

For off road purposes, i would mainly get the BL to give me that extra confidence that I won’t get stranded. but i don’t see myself taking this to moab or anything to do **serious off roading. this will be my daily driver so i do want to minimize any major damage but also don’t want this to end up being 99% on pavement.

i currently plan to make the BS my daily and then purchase a dedicated off-road / overland vehicle later down the line when i’m more settled (possibly 4runner or 4 door bronco). as long as this doesn’t have major maintenance issues i’m down to keep the BS till the end as my daily. But if things do go south, it would give me peace of mind that I can pull a good amount of resale value from it.

this also adds to my dilemma, do i need the BL if I plan to purchase a 4runner in possibly 3-4 years? honestly if the lower trims are already more capable than a subaru forester, i’ll be okay with that. but the numbers look pretty close. and again, the BL just sounds more fun to drive :/

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
The BL will have a much higher resale or trade value down the road.

I changed my original order to the "orange" but changed it back to black after so many people on multiple discussion groups thought the orange was too "yellow school bus." I believe some of the early pictures had the BS orange looking like a nice golden orange, but recent pictures confirm it's more school bus colored.

I don't want to find a line of kids in the morning waiting to get on the "bus."
i always liked the yellow color on FJs when they’re kitted out (stock seems very school bus to me haha). the cyber orange hits different in a good way, but idk if i’ll be second guessing myself down the road haha. i’m with you on this one, debating between cactus gray, silver, or white for me.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
With the Badlands you can go to Moab if you want to..

In the end.. its your money and you get to choose what you want to do with it.. If you are planning on getting that 4runner in a few years.. you can save some money and get lower trims.

But for me, I can't afford another dedicated off-road vehicle so my choice is easy. I can't predict the future so I don't know what 3-4 years would be for me financial wise.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
With the Badlands you can go to Moab if you want to..

In the end.. its your money and you get to choose what you want to do with it.. If you are planning on getting that 4runner in a few years.. you can save some money and get lower trims.

But for me, I can't afford another dedicated off-road vehicle so my choice is easy. I can't predict the future so I don't know what 3-4 years would be for me financial wise.
oh yeah i'm sure the badlands will be just fine out in moab! Also seen the videos of the badlands in hells revenge its so badass. but i was just speaking me personally, don't see myself doing terrain like that too often unless I get into group outings. So me debating if the badlands is still worth if I wont be doing serious offroading like that.

Of course, its just me typing thoughts out loud. Ideally i'll have one daily with mpg at least mid 20s + 1 dedicated overland vehicle. So that's kind of what runs through my mind is if the BS will be my daily even further down the road. The extra mpg and slight larger cargo space (correct me if im wrong) are reasons why I am still eyeballing lower trims but man, the badlands sounds / looks so nice haha.

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
oh yeah i'm sure the badlands will be just fine out in moab! Also seen the videos of the badlands in hells revenge its so badass. but i was just speaking me personally, don't see myself doing terrain like that too often unless I get into group outings. So me debating if the badlands is still worth if I wont be doing serious offroading like that.

Of course, its just me typing thoughts out loud. Ideally i'll have one daily with mpg at least mid 20s + 1 dedicated overland vehicle. So that's kind of what runs through my mind is if the BS will be my daily even further down the road. The extra mpg and slight larger cargo space (correct me if im wrong) are reasons why I am still eyeballing lower trims but man, the badlands sounds / looks so nice haha.
Debated initially until I just went to a Ford dealer and test drove 2 '20 Ford Escapes, one with 1.5l 3 cylinder and other with 2.0 4 cylinder. Solidified Badlands choice, even if it don't fully utilize all capabilities.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Debated initially until I just went to a Ford dealer and test drove 2 '20 Ford Escapes, one with 1.5l 3 cylinder and other with 2.0 4 cylinder. Solidified Badlands choice, even if it don't fully utilize all capabilities.
never thought of doing that! Ive been driving a subaru with about 173hp for the past 4-5 years I feel like it'll be tough to go back after I feel the the 2.0 ecoboost lol

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I think the days of the big, gas guzzling SUV's like the 4Runner are nearing the end of the line -- at least for daily drivers. With low gasoline prices in serious jeopardy right now, I'm antagonizing over canceling the BS deal and see if they produce a hybrid BS in the next 1-2 years.

Last edited:

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
There is an eco mode for you. I see the drive modes really working for people like yourself. Being a storm chaser that puts in a lot of miles. Drive the distance in eco mode. When it comes time to chase or flee, put it in sport mode.
You may be 100% right. There are very few options right now for a true, off-road hybrid.

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I'm starting to wonder if a Bronco Sport hybrid, if offered, would hit the sweet spot for me. I'm not crazy about a 3 cylinder, even less so one that switches to 2 cylinders. But I don't need all that the Badlands offers in terms of extras & off-road capability plus its added cost. I wonder if a hybrid would offer a good combo of power and economy and am thinking about waiting to see what 2021 brings.
Sponsored