Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Would Iridium Spark Plugs be a good upgrade for the 1.5? I run them in my scooter, garden tractor, lawn mowers, and pressure washer and I'm very happy with their performance. They start right up even after sitting for a month or two. I believe they have a better spark pattern and wonder if they would improve the performance of the 1.5 in the Outer Banks.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
They are OEM in all Ford vehicles I thought.
I sold my 2013 F-150 at 167,000 miles on the original plugs and they looked great. No torched insulator, nothing.
Like new engine performance on all points at 167,000 with nothing but on time oil changes and air filters as needed.

Last edited:

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
In my boosted vehicles Ive had in the past they did not like iridium plugs. Stuck with copper and just changed them regularly. My motorcycle hates them.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
In my boosted vehicles Ive had in the past they did not like iridium plugs. Stuck with copper and just changed them regularly. My motorcycle hates them.
unless you changing them every 5K you shouldnt be running copper

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Would Iridium Spark Plugs be a good upgrade for the 1.5? I run them in my scooter, garden tractor, lawn mowers, and pressure washer and I'm very happy with their performance. They start right up even after sitting for a month or two. I believe they have a better spark pattern and wonder if they would improve the performance of the 1.5 in the Outer Banks.
The stock spark plugs from the factory are Motorcraft SP-550 Iridium Spark Plugs.

Recommended replacement every 100,000 miles.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
My belief is to always use OEM plugs in any new vehicle. Those "upgrade" plugs from 30 years ago? The Iridium, Split Fire, Double Platinum, what have you... they were great if you had a traditional ignition system and wanted the best firing ability. Ever since cars became drive by wire, they only like to have OEM stuff. I tried to upgrade plugs on newer cars and I always had to go back and buy the "right" plugs for it. Anything else messes with the computer enough to not give correct performance. At best, it might just throw an occasional code. At worst, it will burn a coil pack.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I remember when I needed plug wires for my Tacoma at 375,000 miles,
I bought Napa’s Bestest wire set.
Mileage went right in the toilet.
Power when I needed it was gone.
Shitty Idle and all.
Napa gave me a full refund.
The Factory wire set went in and it ran like new, was smooth as a babies behind :,P
The real stupidity on my part,
The factory wires were just a couple of dollars more than Napa.
And the factory wires did last 375k
Sponsored