Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
Ha! When I went to work for Amoco Production Company (oil/natural gas production and processing) in 1977, we had, in the company car pool, Ford Maverick compact sedans. Those and AMC Gremlins among other real winners. To say that those vehicles were not always suitable for travel on the lease roads is an understatement. It took many years of concerted effort to convince management to finally buy pickup trucks for managers, carpools, etc., and more years to get 4x4's for those personnel that needed that capability. Something about people being able to get to a well location and get that well back on production (i.e., making money) finally registered in those hard heads.
We had one of those Maverick sedans when I worked for USDA. We too had to take it to some off road places. That thing was a death trap. Several of us laughed when we saw Ford resurrected the name for a truck.
Sponsored

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
So the 2.0L EcoBoost on this unibody CVT vehicle can tow 2 tons but the 2.0L EcoBoost on the Unibody Badlands can only tow 1 ton?
Probably the short wheelbase on the Bronco Sport to blame. The 2.0 in our Escape could tow 3500 lbs

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
After looking over some of the builds...

Cactus grey looks terrible on the truck for some reason. Looks great on my Bronco Sport though ?

All trims have a CVT...proceed with caution.

No option for Copilot Assist+, which means no adaptive cruise control.

Agree on the Cactus but you might well have said all trims with the hybrid are CTV and all trims with the 2L have the 8spd. While not a fan of the CVT myself Ford has been building these hybrids (CVT) since what, 2005? None of which are AWD which surprises me since I had a 05 Mercury that was CVT AWD. These FWD hybrids in taxi service have logged well over 300,000 miles including the original battery.
While there is no option for 360+ specifically, the ACC, lane centering and a few other 360+ bits are included as part of the Lariat Luxury Package, though sadly not on the lesser trims.

Last edited:

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Agree on the Cactus but you might well have said all trims with the hybrid are CTV and all trims with the 2L have the 8spd. While not a fan of the CVT myself Ford has been building these hybrids (CVT) since what, 2005? None of which are AWD which surprises me since I had a 05 Mercury that was CVT AWD.
Thanks for the clarification. IIRC, the 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid has a CVT with optional AWD. That option makes the CVT more palatable.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I really thought about switching to one of these. There are a few things holding me back.

1. Very ugly, especially compared to the Bronco Sport's legendary beauty.
2. Weird option packages - no leather, the Lariat has synthetic leather, only in brown if you want AWD.
3. I had a Maverick in the 1970s, actually two. They were the worst cars I ever owned, and I had a Pinto.
4. Delivery some time in the 2030s.
5. Did I mention UGLY.

Tom

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
After looking over some of the builds...

Cactus grey looks terrible on the truck for some reason. Looks great on my Bronco Sport though ?

All trims have a CVT...proceed with caution.

No option for Copilot Assist+, which means no adaptive cruise control.
It's not some Nissan belt-drive CVT. eCVT with planetary gears, it drives fine.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd

Hannabass15

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same, there's a lot to like about the Maverick at the price point and fuel economy, a hybrid AWD would be perfect. Even so, I think these will be popular in urban areas where you don't 'need' an F-150 and parking/maneuvering one is a hassle. (Ask me how I know.)

My first vehicle was a no-frills 1990 Nissan hardbody truck so I've always had a soft spot for small trucks.

Hannabass15

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That’s funny. My first truck was a 1990 Nissan hard body. Midnight blue

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If they are all CVT I'll never even test drive one..
And I agree with Ron Swanson

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
A see a bunch of posts on Escape forums their new hybrid Escape lots of problems....

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
So the 2.0L EcoBoost on this unibody CVT vehicle can tow 2 tons but the 2.0L EcoBoost on the Unibody Badlands can only tow 1 ton?
That stood out to me since it's obviously the same engine. Without further information I would think they included some extra towing related tech for cooling that lets it pull more. Ford doesn't want to be outclassed in comparative models. Bronco tows 2,000 which is high for the class. Forester, Renegade and Trailblazer pull same or less.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
That stood out to me since it's obviously the same engine. Without further information I would think they included some extra towing related tech for cooling that lets it pull more. Ford doesn't want to be outclassed in comparative models. Bronco tows 2,000 which is high for the class. Forester, Renegade and Trailblazer pull same or less.
pretty sure it's the shorter wheelbase that's limiting the Tow on the BS, not the engine or cooling.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
pretty sure it's the shorter wheelbase that's limiting the Tow on the BS, not the engine or cooling.
I went and looked, Maverick is actually 16" longer. That's quite a difference!
Sponsored