Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner

ETPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone having issues with water intruding near the sun visor or A Pillar area of the drivers side headliner? It was “repaired” once where they claimed it had to do with closing height/mechanics of the sunroof. However I’ve not seen any moisture near the sunroof. The water intrusion only seems to happen after the car is stationary a during a heavy rain or when slushy wet snow sat and melted on the car. No obvious water issues with normal rain or when driving/moving through rain. Seems like other Ford vehicles have a history of leaky A Pillars? Any advice before I go back to the dealer?
Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner EA7818BB-8A08-41E6-8F40-82651A41A435
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
The 2019 and 2020 RAV4 Adventure trims had numerous reports of water intrusion in similar spots -- the issue was due to a mickey mouse gasket with the roof rails.

I bring this up because the wet spot + where the roof rail is affixed on the Sport could be a clue. The sunroof seems an unlikely culprit if that's the only wet spot you see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ETPG

ETPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Got my Badlands back from the dealer and they said there was a tear in the seal around the windshield. Wonder if that tear was a byproduct of the previous attempt at finding the water intrusion? Regardless, I hope it’s resolved now, dealership service folks were great and it’s covered under warranty-as expected. Hopefully it’s resolved for good this time….I’ll know soon, since big thunderstorms coming our way later today and likely tomorrow too!

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
The escape we traded in for our sport had this issue. It was a failed roof sealant along the seam under the roof rack railway.
The seam eventually failed the entire length of both sides. The water leak was noticed within 600 km of delivery and after a few attempts of the repair, things seemed good for a couple years till one day I found the spare tire doing the backstroke in the hatch. Ford did ultimately repair
under warranty fortunately but it was quite the ordeal... when the "final" repair was done (under advice from a body shop I might add), our Sport was ordered.
here's a link to the thread over at the ford escape forums.
after the first and beginning the second hack job dealer repair:
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/leaking-roof.94234/post-1137408
After the expected failure of second repair:
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/2017-2019-water-leak-problems.71754/post-1137764
Third repair did it as it was done properly with the proper self leveling sealant "end to end"
of the roof channels on both sides and we now have the Bronco Sport so we cant update if it held or not.
My bet is that it will fail again as there was evidence of the crack continuing down the roofline into the hatch. Because of the water intrusion, ice formed in the seam popping the spot welds. It was a hot mess. In the grand scheme of things, these issues were few and far between, but its a pita for those that have the issue.

But I would fight tooth and nail with ford on ensuring the repair was done right and holds. There are multiple threads of Escapes similar issues with the windshield seal too as Ford claims is the issue with yours.
Fortunately our BS has no issues and we are very happy.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ETPG

ETPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The escape we traded in for our sport had this issue. It was a failed roof sealant along the seam under the roof rack railway.
The seam eventually failed the entire length of both sides. The water leak was noticed within 600 km of delivery and after a few attempts of the repair, things seemed good for a couple years till one day I found the spare tire doing the backstroke in the hatch. Ford did ultimately repair
under warranty fortunately but it was quite the ordeal... when the "final" repair was done (under advice from a body shop I might add), our Sport was ordered.
here's a link to the thread over at the ford escape forums.
after the first and beginning the second hack job dealer repair:
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/leaking-roof.94234/post-1137408
After the expected failure of second repair:
https://www.fordescape.org/threads/2017-2019-water-leak-problems.71754/post-1137764
Third repair did it as it was done properly with the proper self leveling sealant "end to end"
of the roof channels on both sides and we now have the Bronco Sport so we cant update if it held or not.
My bet is that it will fail again as there was evidence of the crack continuing down the roofline into the hatch. Because of the water intrusion, ice formed in the seam popping the spot welds. It was a hot mess. In the grand scheme of things, these issues were few and far between, but its a pita for those that have the issue.

But I would fight tooth and nail with ford on ensuring the repair was done right and holds. There are multiple threads of Escapes similar issues with the windshield seal too as Ford claims is the issue with yours.
Fortunately our BS has no issues and we are very happy.
Good luck!
Thank you for the information- I will pass this along to the dealership as the leak has returned. Now in the body shop to review the roof rail bolt leaks and/or other potential causes.

nmlily

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone having issues with water intruding near the sun visor or A Pillar area of the drivers side headliner? It was “repaired” once where they claimed it had to do with closing height/mechanics of the sunroof. However I’ve not seen any moisture near the sunroof. The water intrusion only seems to happen after the car is stationary a during a heavy rain or when slushy wet snow sat and melted on the car. No obvious water issues with normal rain or when driving/moving through rain. Seems like other Ford vehicles have a history of leaky A Pillars? Any advice before I go back to the dealer?
Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner EA7818BB-8A08-41E6-8F40-82651A41A435
Did they ever solve this issue for you? I have been without my BS for three weeks while they have tried to figure out why it is leaking water. They came back to me yesterday and said I am leaving the sunroof open. It also only happens with high pressure rain.

Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner image0-2

Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner image3

OP
OP
ETPG

ETPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did they ever solve this issue for you? I have been without my BS for three weeks while they have tried to figure out why it is leaking water. They came back to me yesterday and said I am leaving the sunroof open. It also only happens with high pressure rain.

Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner image0-2

Ford Bronco Sport Interior Water Leak - A Pillar / Headliner image3
Unfortunately they could not figure out my leak and I went thru the Ohio Lemon Law buyback process. The dealer said the bolts to the roof rails were not properly sealed, then the sunroof didn’t close properly, then the windshield wasn’t sealed properly, then when the engineers wanted it to go to the body shop and over a month of working in the car, I was ready to file a Lemon Law claim. After each repair the leak would still leak in the A pillar but also start leaking under the steering wheel and below the glove box and I was concerned with potential safety issues with wet air bag and/or electrical damage. The dealership was great with communication, very apologetic, and the Lemon Law rules were very clear on what Ford and I needed to do. It took over a month after I filed the paperwork and buyback, my state law covers loaner or rental car - so it wasn’t a major inconvenience other than not having my beloved Bronco Sport. I chose to purchase a different (boring) non-Ford vehicle. No BS/BL inventory due to chip shortage and other supply chain issues and I didn’t want to spend even more for a full Bronco - even if they were available. I felt like a rock-star driving my Bronco Sport Badlands w/BL package, but back to reality as some ordinary guy driving some ordinary car. Hopefully Ford can figure out the sunroof and other issues. Horrible time to try snd find a new or used car.
Sponsored