Interior scratches easily from a dog?!?!?

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Sick to my stomach right now. After owning my new Bronco Sport OB for 3 DAYS I couldn't wait to go for a drive with my dog. Like always he sticks his head out the window. When I get home my BRAND NEW doors are damaged by my dog!!!

Somebody, please tell me if I'm at fault and shouldn't have allowed my dog to stick his head out the window. If this was dumb by me then I'll own it. But I can't help but think how do you make an off-road vehicle that can't withstand a dog's paws? He just visited the groomer and had his nails filed the previous week. I seriously can't even... Frustrated beyond belief.

Ford Bronco Sport Interior scratches easily from a dog?!?!? 185667280_1517647785072190_7471041852680364943_n
Ford Bronco Sport Interior scratches easily from a dog?!?!? 189144527_537761167388797_3825889465024841319_n
Sponsored

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sorry to hear about the scratches, but any Vet will tell you that a Dog should never be allowed to stick their head out a window of a moving vehicle. Insects, dust, other debris in the air can be harmful to a dog's eyes/ears/nose etc. I did see something posted a while back regarding a door/window protector that's available. I will see if I can find it and post it for you.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Sick to my stomach right now. After owning my new Bronco Sport OB for 3 DAYS I couldn't wait to go for a drive with my dog. Like always he sticks his head out the window. When I get home my BRAND NEW doors are damaged by my dog!!!

Somebody, please tell me if I'm at fault and shouldn't have allowed my dog to stick his head out the window. If this was dumb by me then I'll own it. But I can't help but think how do you make an off-road vehicle that can't withstand a dog's paws? He just visited the groomer and had his nails filed the previous week. I seriously can't even... Frustrated beyond belief.

Ford Bronco Sport Interior scratches easily from a dog?!?!? 185667280_1517647785072190_7471041852680364943_n
Ford Bronco Sport Interior scratches easily from a dog?!?!? 189144527_537761167388797_3825889465024841319_n
I would invest in covers for the panels and backseat, animals are rough on those panels. Mine just lays in the front passenger seat and enjoys the headed seat...... :rockon:

Learning experience for sure.

Edit: Pet Covers

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Personally that's the kind of damage that I would expect from a pet's claws, but you're not wrong. All parts of the interior are pretty fragile for lack of a better term. I too have a gouge in the back trunk area from my onewheel when I took off at a light I heard it hit the back and knew if I looked I would see something. It'll need resurfacing now. Unfortunately that vynl/plastic/sponges foam material you've got scratched there is harder to fix.

COBronco

First Edition
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My dog has put his paw on the rear door panel to brace on a turn and I had the same results. I bought door covers on Amazon but agree with you that a rugged, off-road capable vehicle should not scratch that easily.

For comparison, I had a 2013 Escape prior and did not have this issue.

Last edited:

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
but agree with you that a rugged, off-road capable vehicle should not scratch that easily.
The interior and plastic C-pillars are the biggest 'miss' as far as owning the vehicle goes. Interior I can maybe get if it's for cost savings (make it look rugged but not really be rugged), C-pillar was just a dumb decision on this vehicle and makes no sense.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500

First scratches are the worst. eventually, there will many and it won't bother you.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
The interior and plastic C-pillars are the biggest 'miss' as far as owning the vehicle goes. Interior I can maybe get if it's for cost savings (make it look rugged but not really be rugged), C-pillar was just a dumb decision on this vehicle and makes no sense.
Can that c-piller be taken off and left off , I think it could look pretty good and then won’t have to be always worrying about it be scratched , just me thinking out loud .

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Weathertech makes a door protector specifically for this. I have them and they work great. I did have a few light scratches and armor all'd them and they went away. Maybe that will help.

MRR22

Outer Banks
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
One of my doors has also gotten scratched by my dog, so I decided to get the door covers to try and fix the problem. However, the way those stay in place are are by Velcro that you have to attach to the door and/or inserting the plastic flaps in between the window and door. I decided to not do the velcro because I didn’t want the back of one side of the velcro strips stuck to the door permanently. However, when I used the plastic flaps, when trying to roll the window up and down, it scratched the tint ???. I’m not sure what the solution is here.

OP
OP
epatnoudes

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Weathertech makes a door protector specifically for this. I have them and they work great. I did have a few light scratches and armor all'd them and they went away. Maybe that will help.
What did you use for the Armor All? Do you remember what it was called?

MX1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The interior of my Bronco Sport scratches with the most basic, routine daily use, it's extremely frustrating. For your issue specifically, I think the side-door protectors available on Amazon for doggie use are probably a good solution (but, do consider the risks of letting dog hang head out window). I don't mind the look of the interior (I've seen some people dislike it because it looks too plastic-y, I think it looks fine), but I am beyond disappointed in how every little thing can cause a scratch in the plastic. I have some heavy-duty stuff I'll be loading in and out of the vehicle eventually, and I don't see how this interior holds up against that. My plan was to own this car for many years, but I'm beginning to get nervous that in a year it's going to look worse on the inside than my 21 year-old RAV4 did. I definitely thought I was getting a nice upgrade from the RAV when I bought the Bronco Sport, and I hope I did, but I think I will know in a year or two if there is real durability to this truck.

OP
OP
epatnoudes

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The interior of my Bronco Sport scratches with the most basic, routine daily use, it's extremely frustrating. For your issue specifically, I think the side-door protectors available on Amazon for doggie use are probably a good solution (but, do consider the risks of letting dog hang head out window). I don't mind the look of the interior (I've seen some people dislike it because it looks too plastic-y, I think it looks fine), but I am beyond disappointed in how every little thing can cause a scratch in the plastic. I have some heavy-duty stuff I'll be loading in and out of the vehicle eventually, and I don't see how this interior holds up against that. My plan was to own this car for many years, but I'm beginning to get nervous that in a year it's going to look worse on the inside than my 21 year-old RAV4 did. I definitely thought I was getting a nice upgrade from the RAV when I bought the Bronco Sport, and I hope I did, but I think I will know in a year or two if there is real durability to this truck.
I couldn't agree more. I was going own this for years also but I'm starting to have my doubts. I did buy some door coverings but I'm starting to think I shouldn't let the dog hang out of the window. First-time dog owner mistake. Seems like the scratches were inevitable but they still sting.