Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Eh, no surprise there. Just a bunch of entitlement with a few folks who give the Sport the kudos it deserves. Telling us not to call it a Bronco was my favorite piece of that thread since you see pictures all the time of our Sports keeping up with the full size on the trails. It also shares the same styling, G.O.A.T. modes, 4wd on our Sport Badlands, and more. Heck, the 2.3L is the standard engine on the Bronco. The Sport Badlands isn't far behind in terms of capability apart from our worse departure angle and less clearance. Those two limitations are the only reason I wouldn't take my Sport rock crawling, but it can do pretty much everything else the full size can.

Everyone in that thread kept mentioning it's just a rebranded Escape and should have been called "Adventure Escape" or something along that line. It's good marketing, in my mind, to call it the Bronco Sport (I would have even accepted Bronco II). The Bronco name is popular. Being popular sells more vehicles. Ford saw their opportunity and took it.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Did we really care what the names is? Does it look different from the other cookie cutter suv? YES
Did we like it had some good chops for the suv it is? YES
And I just spent the day with the local Bronco club and went everywhere they went on this day. WE ALL had a good time. It was at some hidden sand dune about 90 minutes away.😁
Those 6G owners are probably so insecure they have to whine about us. If they feel better flipping the bird instead of a nod or wave to us then I am glad to help make their day.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Are they still averaging this thread once a week?

All I know is my choice was a new Bronco Outer Banks or pay a $1000 more for the Sport Heritage Limited. I made the right choice.

edit: and one of their posters said no Broncos on lots. I just checked my local dealership. Excluding the pre-orders, they have 16 new and 15 used Broncos for sale.

Last edited:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Bronco with a stick is the only reason I would have considered one. Drove a VW or Audi with a stick for 32 years, 1983 - 2015.

Several of us on the Escape forum wished we could get a Kuga diesel with a stick.

Don't miss a manual transmission as much as I thought I would, though.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
Eh, no surprise there. Just a bunch of entitlement with a few folks who give the Sport the kudos it deserves. Telling us not to call it a Bronco was my favorite piece of that thread since you see pictures all the time of our Sports keeping up with the full size on the trails. It also shares the same styling, G.O.A.T. modes, 4wd on our Sport Badlands, and more. Heck, the 2.3L is the standard engine on the Bronco. The Sport Badlands isn't far behind in terms of capability apart from our worse departure angle and less clearance. Those two limitations are the only reason I wouldn't take my Sport rock crawling, but it can do pretty much everything else the full size can.

Everyone in that thread kept mentioning it's just a rebranded Escape and should have been called "Adventure Escape" or something along that line. It's good marketing, in my mind, to call it the Bronco Sport (I would have even accepted Bronco II). The Bronco name is popular. Being popular sells more vehicles. Ford saw their opportunity and took it.
It should have been named donkey sport mall crawler 2.0. I had a full size Bronco 2.7 SAS Badlands and now own a BS Badlands. There are many similarities but capabilities in my opinion are far different.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
It should have been named donkey sport mall crawler 2.0. I had a full size Bronco 2.7 SAS Badlands and now own a BS Badlands. There are many similarities but capabilities in my opinion are far different.
I was not at all comparing the 2.7L Badlands with Sas to our Sports. That vehicle would be a whole different beast with a different purpose (plus a waaaaay bigger price tag). I specified the base Bronco 2.3L engine not being too far off from the 2.0L Sport Badlands.

Harsh words from someone who owns a Sport. What made you want to try the Sport? Have you had the opportunity to play around with its capabilities and features?

rjs0962

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport-Badlands, BMW330i, Subaru Forester
Did we really care what the names is? Does it look different from the other cookie cutter suv? YES
Did we like it had some good chops for the suv it is? YES
And I just spent the day with the local Bronco club and went everywhere they went on this day. WE ALL had a good time. It was at some hidden sand dune about 90 minutes away.😁
Those 6G owners are probably so insecure they have to whine about us. If they feel better flipping the bird instead of a nod or wave to us then I am glad to help make their day.

Have contact info for the local Bronco club?

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Eh, no surprise. It's the whole "my Bronco is bigger than your Bronco" ego trip. I could give two s**t's what they have to say about the Bronco Sport. It will always deserve its name in my book. Just like the OP said, it's just as capable as the full-size on the trails. As a result, they have no room to talk about legitimacy regarding the Bronco Sport.

There's a couple of reasons why we went for the BS as oppose to a full-size: pricing and practicality. Many well-equipped full-sizers are well out of reach for most buyers, especially since new ones are typically sold with hefty markups (averaging $10K-$20K) and used ones are selling for MSRP or more. A well-equipped BS, on the other hand, is well within reach for most buyers as pricing falls within the $30K-$40K range which undercuts the average new car price by $8K-$18K. Sure they may be not exempt from markups but they're not as extreme (typically $3K-$5K)

Also, practicality plays a crucial role. They're much easier and comfortable to drive thanks to its unibody crossover platform and compact size. The full-size is body-on-frame with serious off-roading in mind first and road comfort second. Parking would be more of a challenge and the ride would be stiffer and bouncy. The Bronco Sport is the city-dwelling crossover that's easy to park, absorbs bumps well, not too excessive in size, and does have off-road capability in mind, just not as in depth as the full-size. And that's fine. This is what my family and I would rather have.

sinbuster007

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 SUV's, 2 Mustangs
i saw that also, my friend would always say that people with big tires and other "big" things were
"overcompensating" for what they didnt have.... (ill let you figure that out)
either way i like my Sport; maybe one day even own a full size, but not because of the above statement....
Ford did a good job with marketing....call it a bronco (sport) sell millions and no one will know that its the smaller version....heck people around here think i have the full size, and my mother in law asked how my new Jeep was?! i told her it was a bronco.
also, look at the Mustang lineup.... and that horrible thing they call the Mach E. yea great its an electric SUV but it is NOT a mustang, never was, never will be. but people out there think that is the new improved mustang so they buy it....great marketing. if it was called anything else, it would fail miserably....and ford knew it! why didnt they call the bronco sport an Escape? simple, name. it wouldnt sell. our BS is what the new escape should have been all along....

at the end of the day you buy what you like no matter what people say.
when i got my BS, there was a full size 2DR Badlands HPR with SaS, Man, (what i would have gotten) and the salesman told me the guy who bought it said he was going to put it in the garage and let it set and never drive.
i guess thats me with the 3 mustangs i have, but we do what we do.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
That whole "it's not a real Bronco" thing is pretty damn stupid. Dimensionally and weight wise, the Sport is closer to the original Bronco than the new full size Bronco. An F-150 is different in size and capability than an F-350 dually pickup. Is the F-150 not considered an F series pickup? At the end of the day, Ford, who makes the damn thing, called it a Bronco Sport. It isn't a nickname given by enthusiasts, it's the actual manufacturer of it calling that. That's like someone telling you their son's name is Mark and you going "nah, that guy over there is named Mark and your kid can't throw a football quite as far so we're gonna call him Cornelius.".

Don't get me wrong, I like the big Bronco. I thought about buying one. At the end of the day practicality trumps affordability. For everyday driving and occasionally playing around in the woods, the Sport made better sense. I'm not going to pay twice the price for a pavement pounder. If I want a serious off-road machine, I can build an old square body Chevy for a fraction of the cost of a New full size Bronco. It's the same reason I ordered a Maverick. I could easily buy another new 1/2 ton pickup. I see no reason to spend $60k when I can spend half that for a run around pickup and use my already paid for 1/2 ton when serious tasks are required while getting better mileage daily.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Not surprising at all. The last few decades of politics has taught me that the only thing some people need more than a tribe to belong to is someone to exclude from it.

Maybe we should all start getting upset when someone asks us about our "Bronco."

"NO!" you would say vehemently, "this is a Bronco SPORT!"

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's like someone telling you their son's name is Mark and you going "nah, that guy over there is named Mark and your kid can't throw a football quite as far so we're gonna call him Cornelius."
Wait. Am I Mark or Cornelius?
Sponsored