Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
For those of you who might be thinking about upgrading(?)(I'm not) check this out. I wonder what the true cost is to match feature to feature, when upgrading to the capabilities of the Big Bronco

Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Must be an old video. A Badlands with the features discussed, like ACC, is not 37k. It's north of 40K probably approaching 45. If you can get one at all. Yeah, a really baseline, 2dr Bronco isn't going to have the equipment that the pinnacle trim Sport has. What an odd comparison. What else gets compared like that? A Jeep Gladiator Sport vs. the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk!? I don't think anyone is buying any Bronco for fuel economy, but the Sport is decent in that category next to similar cars.

sinbuster007

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 SUV's, 2 Mustangs
like they said it depends on what you need/want for your particular vehicle.
i got the sport because it fits all my current needs. i still want to get a full size (2dr)
but it will not be the primary vehicle....lets just say the weekend for now. i will still have
the sport and the Edge. i dont need all the fancy stuff but keep coming back to the
Badlands full size to hit the check boxes of what i want.
as i said it would be a "weekend" vehicle, maybe summer depending on what im doing.
ask why i wouldn't just get a 4dr full size and be done?? well i dont like the looks of the 4 door.
if it was the ONLY vehicle i have then yes.....but not why im buying it.
if they are too hard to come by in '24 (looking for manual trans) then i do have option of Ranger Raptor or Ranger Wildtrack. i think the bronco would look better though.

we are selling the 2015 Mustang, and maybe using that money to pay off the Sport, then saving up for the next vehicle whenever that may be.....at least that is the plan.

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport badlands
I went in to the dealership and priced a new bronco as I wanted it. Base with sasquach package (can't even get it like that now) It was $48,000 or so. Wife looked at it and said, "this will be my daily?? A bare bones bronco with 35's and off road stuff? How much is the Bronco sport"? Loaded badlands Bronco sport was $48,000 or so......I'm keeping my f150 and this will be "her" truck so she went with the heated seats/ac/stereo/blah, blah,blah..(my f150 has roll up windows, I hate extra crap)
So..is it capable enough to do what we want and if not, what's the point of getting it? Well, so far, the trails and fire roads we've been going on, the BS is fine. Still want more clearance and the ability to put on bigger than 30" tires...and the felt inner fenders are garbage...and...but yes it will do what we want. To clarify, it's no longer if it will go where we want, it's, "will we take a brand new vehicle through that hole/mud/etc". Currently, the badlands BS will do more than the wife is willing to do. Myself on the other hand...when we trade this in, it will be for a badlands Bronco as everything under the badlands, is LESS CAPABLE! There, I said it. (don't ever say that on the bronco forum as they lose their proverbial shit) We drove 9 full size and base with 3.73's and 29's is LESS capable. Yes it has clearance, that is the ONLY thing is has going for it. Locking diff is $1500 and gives you 4.47's. Still not as capable as the front end is still open. So then you get the badlands and it has all the off road features of the BS and is MORE capable due to gearing/tires/clearance/etc,etc,etc.

As far as the video, she names all the stuff I hate and wouldn't want (lane keeping, blis,etc) and then at the end says it's MORE capable??? Did she buy it with locking diffs or does she not use it to the extent that locking diffs is not required? Trails with little mud and protruding rocks might suit her but what's the point of an off road vehicle with open diffs, highway gearing, etc???

I wouldn't want a non-badlands Bronco OR Bronco Sport. THAT is the capability, not the name on the grill.

Last edited:

Bato001

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands Hot Pepper Red
I asked Trail Militia to do an offroad show down: Bronco Sport Badlands vs Bronco Base and they are looking into it. You guys should check out their youtube channel it has a couple Bronco Sport specific vids.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I still can not believe that in order to compete in ground clearance on the 6G you need the SaS package. which averages 6k. Otherwise stock form the Bronco Sport Badlands has more ground clearance. 8.8 vs 8.4. Wranglers and 4runners are mid 9 inches

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
The big Bronco has to have at least the badlands package, without it then it's just a mall crawler/ lifestyle vehicle. I have been tempted by the big Bronco but deep down know I'll never really use it for what it is. Plus the MPG is terrible. My BS is a highway runner with the occasional chunky gravel or dirt road. I just plow miles on it for work using 360+ cruise control for hours at a time.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I went in to the dealership and priced a new bronco as I wanted it. Base with sasquach package (can't even get it like that now) It was $48,000 or so. Wife looked at it and said, "this will be my daily?? A bare bones bronco with 35's and off road stuff? How much is the Bronco sport"? Loaded badlands Bronco sport was $48,000 or so......I'm keeping my f150 and this will be "her" truck so she went with the heated seats/ac/stereo/blah, blah,blah..(my f150 has roll up windows, I hate extra crap)
So..is it capable enough to do what we want and if not, what's the point of getting it? Well, so far, the trails and fire roads we've been going on, the BS is fine. Still want more clearance and the ability to put on bigger than 30" tires...and the felt inner fenders are garbage...and...but yes it will do what we want. To clarify, it's no longer if it will go where we want, it's, "will we take a brand new vehicle through that hole/mud/etc". Currently, the badlands BS will do more than the wife is willing to do. Myself on the other hand...when we trade this in, it will be for a badlands Bronco as everything under the badlands, is LESS CAPABLE! There, I said it. (don't ever say that on the bronco forum as they lose their proverbial shit) We drove 9 full size and base with 3.73's and 29's is LESS capable. Yes it has clearance, that is the ONLY thing is has going for it. Locking diff is $1500 and gives you 4.47's. Still not as capable as the front end is still open. So then you get the badlands and it has all the off road features of the BS and is MORE capable due to gearing/tires/clearance/etc,etc,etc.

As far as the video, she names all the stuff I hate and wouldn't want (lane keeping, blis,etc) and then at the end says it's MORE capable??? Did she buy it with locking diffs or does she not use it to the extent that locking diffs is not required? Trails with little mud and protruding rocks might suit her but what's the point of an off road vehicle with open diffs, highway gearing, etc???

I wouldn't want a non-badlands Bronco OR Bronco Sport. THAT is the capability, not the name on the grill.
Don't buy another vehicle. Use the money for marriage counseling.🤕

thor52879

Badlands
First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands (Badlands package)
I feel like I don’t even need all the stuff my Badlands has. I drive in a couple feet of snow during the winter sometimes, but I don’t rock climb or anything even close. Would bet less than 10% of badlands will ever actually NEED to lock the rear differential or go into the crawler mode. I feel like I could have gotten a lot more of what I use for the same price, like a V6 or more cargo room. But, I got swept up in Bronco fever. I’m just really glad I didn’t pay in the upper 40s or 50s for a full size with even more of what I’ll never need (or status).

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
So just to clarify, the main difference between the full size Badlands with SAS and the other trims with SAS is the disco sway bar. The ground clearance will vary depending on the trim as the tire sizes get bigger as you move up trims. The stock Badlands only comes with 33''s where the SAS option comes with 35's. Both tire sizes are slightly smaller than specified.

When they first came out, you could order a Base with SAS out the door for less than 40K. Yes, now that same trim is pushing 50K. But the Base with SAS is every bit as off road worthy as a Badlands. The only thing you are missing is the disco swaybar and they have kits available to do it manually. Same 4.7 gearing, front and rear lockers.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
For those of you who might be thinking about upgrading(?)(I'm not) check this out. I wonder what the true cost is to match feature to feature, when upgrading to the capabilities of the Big Bronco

But you now own a real 4 wheel drive truck! Not a mall crawler. Congadulations

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
Updated thoughts. With everything Ive learned the Bronco Sport Badlands even in capability is better than the Black Diamond. BD only has 8.4 inches of ground clearance and none of the creature comforts. The BSBL has 8.8 inches of GC and I think the dual clutch locker works well. I think for any performance gain and comfort equivalent you need a Bronco Badlands with the high package. with also the added automatic. BSBL 44k. 6G would be at least 10K more to make the upgrade worth it IMHO. And I have considered it and researched it. As much as I would like the upgrade it actually does not make sense at least financially. I think I want it mostly for the COOL factor! I hang with the 6G guys just fine.
Sponsored

Last edited: