MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Honestly my biggest use for the keypad is just running out to the car in the garage to grab something only to realize I didn’t throw the fob in my pocket.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I suppose what we're learning is that the biggest advantage of the securicode system is flexibility and options. We each get to use our vehicles in ways that make the most sense to us and suit our individual needs the best. And you can't get much more American than that!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes, you are one of the annoying ones! :crackup:
As an ex-technical writer, I feel obligated to heed the directions some poor schmuck slaved over and published in the Owner's Manual (pg 64):

Locking the Doors

Press the button to lock all doors. The direction indicators flash. Press the button again within three seconds to confirm that all the doors are closed. The doors lock again, the horn sounds and the direction indicators flash if all the doors and the luggage compartment are closed.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Honestly my biggest use for the keypad is just running out to the car in the garage to grab something only to realize I didn’t throw the fob in my pocket.
You lock your car in the garage !!!???:)

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Ok, did a test yesterday. If you push the power door lock button on the door then close the door with the fob inside, the horn sounds and the door automatically unlocks. You cannot lock the fob inside using the power door lock button. If you want to lock the doors with the fob inside you MUST use the SecuriCode number pad (push 7-8 & 9-0 simultaneously).

Next, I locked the car using the SecuriCode number pad with the fob inside. I left the driver's side front and rear windows down far enough I could reach inside the car. I waited 30 minutes or so, then reached in the front window and pushed the power door lock button. A warning that the power door locks were disabled by the security system popped on the display. Next, I reached into the rear window and opened the rear door. The security system activated and continuously sounded the horn. So far, so good! Then I reached in the front window and opened the front door; the security system continued sounding the horn. Next, I got in and pressed the Start button. The security system immediately deactivated and the vehicle entered accessory power mode. Uh oh.

So, you can lock your fob in the car using SecuriCode, but if someone breaks in they can disable the alarm (horn sounding) by pressing the Start button. No bueno.

I've ordered a Faraday pouch from Amazon. These are pouches with a conductive mesh that block RF signals. I'll go through this test procedure again with the fob in a Faraday pouch. This should prevent the fob from communicating with the vehicle. Stay tuned!
I keep my keyfob in an RF blocking pouch inside a console vault. Vehicle says “no key detected “ if I try to start it.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
You lock your car in the garage !!!???:)
If I remember 😆. I live in a reasonably nice area but close to the train line, so there does tend to be property crime. Most of it though is very opportunistic. Unlocked cars on the street (my neighbor), stuff left out in the yard (another neighbor), that sort of thing. It’s rare that a garage would be broken into but it’s not unknown. Thankfully nothing has ever happened to me.

I have solid locks, but even still. Mine actually has a bit of reinforcing on the door frame which looks like it might’ve been kicked in at one point so somebody tried to do something about it.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
As an ex-technical writer, I feel obligated to heed the directions some poor schmuck slaved over and published in the Owner's Manual (pg 64):
Now I know (sort of) an ex-technical writer and an ex-technical illustrator.
Sponsored