Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
We've been using the keypad security code on our Mountaineer and Expedition for years. No problem at all. I'm sure I will use it on the BS as well. It's a great feature that I use whenever I'm out running by myself. I haven't looped the key through my shoelaces in a long, long time!
Same here! It’s great not carrying keys for about 20 years now.
Sponsored

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Been using keypad since 1986 in about 8or so fords and Lincoln , actually I have kept the same number on all . If I am not mistaken ford company has a patent on it .

Ford Bronco Sport Intentionally locking the keys in the car 2CCA0572-45B6-4734-9B07-B85F4AF837C5
Yes it’s a super feature Ford has had for decades and that no other car company has replicated.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I'm surprised the doors will lock with the fob inside with the ignition off. Seems like there would be some sort of lock out prevention.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm surprised the doors will lock with the fob inside with the ignition off. Seems like there would be some sort of lock out prevention.
I wonder. Is the car smart enough to detect a fob both inside & outside the car? So You’d need to either use the buttons on another fob to lock one in the car, or use the keypad to lock one in the car without having a 2nd. I wonder both how sensitive it is to detect a fob or multiple fobs inside or outside the car. I must experiment a bit Sometime.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I wonder. Is the car smart enough to detect a fob both inside & outside the car? So You’d need to either use the buttons on another fob to lock one in the car, or use the keypad to lock one in the car without having a 2nd. I wonder both how sensitive it is to detect a fob or multiple fobs inside or outside the car. I must experiment a bit Sometime.
I had a car that would not lock the doors if the key was in the ignition, a chime would ring and the locks would return to unlock state.

Reactions: MJE

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Of course it is. If you get out with the key, it will chime and put up a warning. It can also tell what door you're at. Stand at the driver door with a key, the passenger can't unlock the vehicle.

Reactions: MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Of course it is. If you get out with the key, it will chime and put up a warning. It can also tell what door you're at. Stand at the driver door with a key, the passenger can't unlock the vehicle.
Duh. Yeah I missed all that apparently. Of course you’re right, thanks. Yes, the car tells you exactly when you leave with the key. All that. Thanks for remind me & cluing me in!

Aurora

Outer Banks
First Name
Alyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When I bought my Badlands, the salesman was telling me I could lock my keys in the car if I was going to the gym, for example, and didn't want to take my purse and keys with me. He said I could use the code on the side to open it. This doesn't seem like the best idea to me. A thief could easily break a window and take off with my baby. Or would entering the vehicle without unlocking it disable it from starting?

I'm curious to know if anyone is actually doing this or what other use cases do you have for using the code to unlock? This would be a cool feature if I could feel confident that the risk is minimal.
I had the dealership drop my Bronco Sport off after having it serviced and they stashed the keys under the visor. I haven't programmed the door, but I used the app on my phone to unlock it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ok, did a test yesterday. If you push the power door lock button on the door then close the door with the fob inside, the horn sounds and the door automatically unlocks. You cannot lock the fob inside using the power door lock button. If you want to lock the doors with the fob inside you MUST use the SecuriCode number pad (push 7-8 & 9-0 simultaneously).

Next, I locked the car using the SecuriCode number pad with the fob inside. I left the driver's side front and rear windows down far enough I could reach inside the car. I waited 30 minutes or so, then reached in the front window and pushed the power door lock button. A warning that the power door locks were disabled by the security system popped on the display. Next, I reached into the rear window and opened the rear door. The security system activated and continuously sounded the horn. So far, so good! Then I reached in the front window and opened the front door; the security system continued sounding the horn. Next, I got in and pressed the Start button. The security system immediately deactivated and the vehicle entered accessory power mode. Uh oh.

So, you can lock your fob in the car using SecuriCode, but if someone breaks in they can disable the alarm (horn sounding) by pressing the Start button. No bueno.

I've ordered a Faraday pouch from Amazon. These are pouches with a conductive mesh that block RF signals. I'll go through this test procedure again with the fob in a Faraday pouch. This should prevent the fob from communicating with the vehicle. Stay tuned!

Legacy40k

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Bronco Sport
Having never had this feature before. It's one that I am looking forward to most.

I mountain bike a lot, and I hate riding with my keys on me. First off, there is the fear of losing my Keyes on the trail. I've never had it happen, but I know people who have, and I've seen many a fob get found on the trail.

Secondly, there's the fear of landing on them in a crash - and I Don't really want a nice little key/fob sized bruise on my back.

Being able to ride without my Keyes is super appealing to me. I do usually ride with a phone, but I don't race with one (not going to be stopping to use it, and it's just extra weight). So when racing, that gets locked in the car too.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I've ordered a Faraday pouch from Amazon. These are pouches with a conductive mesh that block RF signals. I'll go through this test procedure again with the fob in a Faraday pouch. This should prevent the fob from communicating with the vehicle. Stay tuned!
If you go through this last step and succeed, then where is the advantage? Say it works. So now people can break into the car and not stop the horn with the start button. Which, let's face it, any thieves probably aren't going to test the start button if they're doing a smash-and-grab and the alarm goes off... but you manage to isolate the key and stop that. Now every time you want to start the car, you have to fumble with the key anyhow. If thieves are going to toss the car, you have to do a hella job hiding the key. So you stash it under the spare tire or up over the glovebox under the dash, or the barely-known under seat storage. Maybe something extreme like in a pillar or rocker panel. Now you get to retrieve it yourself!

I guess maybe for a long-term airport garage? But if I was that concerned, get a lift and leave the car in the garage at home! Or fly off with the key. Or use the airport locker. Let's face it, the battery will die before anyone checks on a car alarm at an airport!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Ok, did a test yesterday. If you push the power door lock button on the door then close the door with the fob inside, the horn sounds and the door automatically unlocks. You cannot lock the fob inside using the power door lock button. If you want to lock the doors with the fob inside you MUST use the SecuriCode number pad (push 7-8 & 9-0 simultaneously).

Next, I locked the car using the SecuriCode number pad with the fob inside. I left the driver's side front and rear windows down far enough I could reach inside the car. I waited 30 minutes or so, then reached in the front window and pushed the power door lock button. A warning that the power door locks were disabled by the security system popped on the display. Next, I reached into the rear window and opened the rear door. The security system activated and continuously sounded the horn. So far, so good! Then I reached in the front window and opened the front door; the security system continued sounding the horn. Next, I got in and pressed the Start button. The security system immediately deactivated and the vehicle entered accessory power mode. Uh oh.

So, you can lock your fob in the car using SecuriCode, but if someone breaks in they can disable the alarm (horn sounding) by pressing the Start button. No bueno.

This is getting dangerously close to science here. Thanks for an awesome experiment & write up!
Ford Bronco Sport Intentionally locking the keys in the car 1652799259778

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If you go through this last step and succeed, then where is the advantage?
It's the same advantage as before, just with a bit more peace of mind. As other's have noted, not having to worry about losing the fob while out on a day hike or other outdoor activity is convenient. We often hike in areas that require wading creeks and rivers, and sometimes we enjoy shore diving (SCUBA). Carrying the fob means I need a water-tight case, and I've seen water-tight cases fail.

I agree it's not likely the average smash-and-grab thief will push the Start button, but if they do the security system will deactivate and the thief will see a polite invitation on the instrument display to step on the brake to start the car. Knowing this, there is no way I can leave the fob in the car and have the peace of mind to enjoy whatever activity I'm doing that requires leaving the fob behind.

Then again, I'm one of those annoying jerks that absolutely HAS to press the lock button twice to hear the horn so I KNOW the doors locked. Sorry!

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Then again, I'm one of those annoying jerks that absolutely HAS to press the lock button twice to hear the horn so I KNOW the doors locked. Sorry!
Yes, you are one of the annoying ones! :crackup:

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
This is a good thread since I’ve always wondered what possible use keyless entry could be. And this prompted me to actually go out and reprogram the code and try it a few times. Yes, it does work but will I remember the open/lock sequence tomorrow?
This reminds me a bit of the recent thread concerning the rear hatch release (a feature deleted on more current models) that turned out to serve no purpose except for those picking up online ordered groceries and needed to pop the hatch from the driver’s seat for the delivery boy. What seemed pointless to me was loved by those wanting their groceries.
You won’t catch me jogging or kayaking but I’m impressed by the enthusiasm for this device by those who do. Even if I were more adventure oriented I don’t think I could constitutionally overcome my fear of locking the keys in my car.
Sponsored