espressomac

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
So I installed Yakima RailBars on our Bronco Sport Badlands even though the Yakima website indicates that they're "Not Compatible". When I first read that it didn't make sense to me because the RailBars are specifically designed to be installed on raised rails like the Sport has. Anyway, they installed just fine. We've had them on for a few weeks now and have had them carry kayaks and ARB awnings just fine.

Thought I'd share what I learned in case someone else is interested in all the nitty gritty details.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 1

As you can see, the RailBars come in six different sizes. You have to match the range of separation each size can handle to the separation of the rails on the Bronco Sport. So you have to measure, or you can just take a look at the diagram below.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 2

Once you measure, you can figure out what size RailBar can be used with the Bronco Sport.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 3

Turns out you could use a combination of sizes, from Small all the way to XL. That may be useful to know depending on availability. I got one (they are NOT sold in pairs) Medium RailBar and one Large. Obviously the Large was placed up front.

BTW, I chose the RailBars because we park our Bronco Sport in an underground parking lot. There is a point where the clearance is only 6 feet 6 inches, so every inch mattered. On top of the RailBar we sometimes have the Yakima JayLow, a collapsible kayak carrier. We still have a couple of inches to spare, but I don't think that would have happened with the Yakima Timberline System.
Sponsored

vethawk

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
NIce description !! I'm looking at ordering mine soon and this helps a ton ! Stellar work

OP
OP

espressomac

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
NIce description !! I'm looking at ordering mine soon and this helps a ton ! Stellar work
I wanted to post pictures at the time, but you know how it is. Here they are. One important measurement is that the RailBars only add ¾" (0.75 inches, 1.9 cm) to the height of the factory installed raised rails.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar adds three fourths inch sm

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar with ARB awning 2 sm

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar with ARB awning sm

andrealynn86

First Edition
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
One of the dealers had these on the one we test drove, it whistled SO bad. Is this normal?

OP
OP

espressomac

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
The RalBars don’t whistle for us. However, the Yakima JayLow kayak carrier does seem to whistle, but we generally take those off when not carrying a kayak.
Are you sure they installed the RailBars correctly? They seem pretty aerodynamic.

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but huge thanks for the info. I ordered these, I really like the t-slot across the top and the fact that these dont stick up nearly as much as the factory cross bars. Coming in on Friday. I also ordered the Warrior 40x50 roof basket, Im hoping itll all work well together, Ill post pics when I get it all together

Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport
So I installed Yakima RailBars on our Bronco Sport Badlands even though the Yakima website indicates that they're "Not Compatible". When I first read that it didn't make sense to me because the RailBars are specifically designed to be installed on raised rails like the Sport has. Anyway, they installed just fine. We've had them on for a few weeks now and have had them carry kayaks and ARB awnings just fine.

Thought I'd share what I learned in case someone else is interested in all the nitty gritty details.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 1

As you can see, the RailBars come in six different sizes. You have to match the range of separation each size can handle to the separation of the rails on the Bronco Sport. So you have to measure, or you can just take a look at the diagram below.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 2

Once you measure, you can figure out what size RailBar can be used with the Bronco Sport.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Bronco Sport Yakima RailBar fitment 3

Turns out you could use a combination of sizes, from Small all the way to XL. That may be useful to know depending on availability. I got one (they are NOT sold in pairs) Medium RailBar and one Large. Obviously the Large was placed up front.

BTW, I chose the RailBars because we park our Bronco Sport in an underground parking lot. There is a point where the clearance is only 6 feet 6 inches, so every inch mattered. On top of the RailBar we sometimes have the Yakima JayLow, a collapsible kayak carrier. We still have a couple of inches to spare, but I don't think that would have happened with the Yakima Timberline System.
Thanks for the detailed information. I too find myself contemplating crossbars and a cargo basket and for a seemingly straight forward task, it can get complicated in a hurry.

JCornford

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I wanted to post pictures at the time, but you know how it is. Here they are. One important measurement is that the RailBars only add ¾" (0.75 inches, 1.9 cm) to the height of the factory installed raised rails.

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar adds three fourths inch sm

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar with ARB awning 2 sm

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned Yakmia railbar with ARB awning sm
How far apart are you placing the bars? So far I’ve had to get new roof bars for every cars I’ve had, but I have some of these in the basement, but they are mediums, so I think I’ll need to buy another large to make it work.

mjp78

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL
This is the thread that keeps on giving. These are discontinued for some reason but also I think the only flat mount (+3/4” technically) crossbars that work on a Badlands. I just ordered a mismatched colors pair from a site called ReRack for $199 to pair with my Go Rhino flat rack. Hopefully this will help with the MPG hit I took when I installed the OMAC crossbars that overhang. My theory/hope/prayer is lower and farther back will reduce wind resistance.

galavoxx

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Once again bringing this thread back from the dead. I started looking for some low profile roof rail bars and found that the Yakima Railbars and Whispbars @espressomac mentioned earlier in this thread have been discontinued.

I started looking for other options and found what appear to be some Yakima Railbar knockoffs. They seem to have good features. I took a chance on them based on cross referencing other bar packages offered by Yakima in the past. Volvo XC70 came up as having similar roof rail dimensions/Railbar lengths as the Bronco Sport Badlands (one medium and one large). I tried to get the actual bar lengths from the eBay seller prior to ordering, but had no response. I bought them anyway assuming I could cut the bar down, based on photos.

The "Hippo" Bars arrived today and the rail to rail lengths are similar enough to the M and L Yakima Railbars that they should work.

Rear bar is 38in

Front bar is 39.5in

The length can be extended by two or three inches on each side, maybe more. They can also be cut down to any length you want. A half-inch off the rear bar would allow it to slide it all the way back on the Badlands rails. I'm not sure cutting is needed, but I will find out when I try to install. I'm going to test mount them this week. They do look promising though and were only $150. There is a missing nut that was lost in transit, so I will have to go to the hardware store before I get started.

Here are some preliminary photos of the bars and clamps. They even come with a lock!

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123815

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123830

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123839

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123911

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123925

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_123940

Ford Bronco Sport Installing Yakima RailBar crossbars—what I learned 20230306_124000