Im new to anything going on the roof -- help me.

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am new to using roof racks and what's needed. I have always had a truck and used the bed of my truck. I would like to maximize cargo room for camping and going fishing. I would like to be able to put on the roof a yakima rod holder and or maybe my small aluminum boat or float tubes. I might do a cargo carrier. I am just curious why people get the roof racks vs just cross member bars on the side rails. What is the advantages to putting a rack down first then stuff on top. Is it to protect paint and roof? Does it bring better weight distribution and more versatility what you can do? Please help coach me on the possibilities and share your pics. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Crossbars are fine for long things like skis, surfboards, kayaks, or anything that you can get a mount for. Platform racks and baskets just give you more options, but usually with a bit more of an MPG hit on the highway, and not usually easily removable.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is it to protect paint and roof?
Don't put anything directly on the roof. It's not designed to carry loads. It sounds like crossbars would suit you best. How much does your aluminum boat weigh?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Sound like you want options, besides just being crossbars, there are many versions of cross bars. With what you said wanting a boat carrier, fishing pole attachment, and possibly a carrier... That means you'll also want it to be easy to exchange out attachments which t slot crossbars are generally easier to change out accessories.

OP
OP
BroncoBrusier

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Don't put anything directly on the roof. It's not designed to carry loads. It sounds like crossbars would suit you best. How much does your aluminum boat weigh?
Im not sure on exact weight. Im looking at options other then a Kayak as well

OP
OP
BroncoBrusier

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sound like you want options, besides just being crossbars, there are many versions of cross bars. With what you said wanting a boat carrier, fishing pole attachment, and possibly a carrier... That means you'll also want it to be easy to exchange out attachments which t slot crossbars are generally easier to change out accessories.
I will take a look into those. Thanks

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I got crossbars to carry a pack canoe. We used to carry stuff rooftop in a plastic clamshell carrier. The carrier was easy on and off, but a pain when we needed to retrieve something. These days, if we need extra cargo room, we just use a hitch haul.
Sponsored