If I was redoing the GOAT modes

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
This is about the Big Bend et al not Badlands but some of it applies there as well.

If I was redoing the goat modes, I would dispense with the dial all together and move the two (yes two, keep reading) “Goat” modes up onto the dash as buttons - slippery and sand mode (same with rock crawl and mud/ruts yes).
I would move the dial up onto the dash as well and repurpose it as a throttle control dial.

Basically, the “Goat” modes sport, normal, and eco are not “Goat“ modes but are generic throttle control modes which do irritating things to the steering and transmission at the same time.
Eco - into the highest gear asap, more dead throttle pedal, but hauls it if you plant it.
Sport - hangs in a high gear after throttle lift off, won’t shift into highest gear at back road speeds, great for forcing downshifts on long slopes downwards for engine braking so you need not ride the brakes, steering stiffed up but no more responsive or lively (annoying). Definitely scoots faster, but that has to do with throttle mapping.
Normal - in the middle some place with neutral steering.

So what I would do is dump eco, sport, and normal and replace it with a dial which allows you to adjust throttle mapping. Want the pedal more responsive and it to scoot faster? Dial it up. Want it less so? Dial it down. Need it to shift faster? Push your foot faster and harder. The steering would be left alone, and the transmission would always seek the highest gear when in auto mode. Oh yes, auto mode, because paddle shifters all around and then done right - If you put it into 2nd gear, it is in second. Even from a stand still. Same with any other gear. In snow in particular, being able to control the transmission and power to the road is very helpful and being able to lock it into any particular gear is a serious bonus IF it stays there and does not shift up or down.

While we are at it, traction control on a button. Like everybody else does. This ridiculous over use of the computer screen is not exactly helpful - if I want it off I want it off NOW not after a menu dive.

Building in an actual throttle mapping dial would be something rather unique for Ford to do and would allow them to offer something that I have not seen other auto makers do at this kind of price point. Otherwise, all they are really offering the same thing as everyone else albeit in a much nicer package.

Gather ye your torches and pitch forks and have at it now!
Sponsored

LowGun84

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I like your ideas. I would also like to add an option to hide GOAT modes we do not want to see just like you can hide the information screens you do not want to see. Thus just hide ECO since I do not see a time I will ever choose to use it.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I agree with the traction control, make it a button for gosh sakes.

Not a fan of Eco but ok on long highway trips.
Rarely if at all used Sport.
I'll use Slippery once there's snow on the ground.
Mostly drive in Normal.

With that said, replace it all with a manual transmission, lockable rear and 4A and I'm good to go.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Would we call it GOAT throttle mapping?

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
This is about the Big Bend et al not Badlands but some of it applies there as well.

If I was redoing the goat modes, I would dispense with the dial all together and move the two (yes two, keep reading) “Goat” modes up onto the dash as buttons - slippery and sand mode (same with rock crawl and mud/ruts yes).
I would move the dial up onto the dash as well and repurpose it as a throttle control dial.

Basically, the “Goat” modes sport, normal, and eco are not “Goat“ modes but are generic throttle control modes which do irritating things to the steering and transmission at the same time.
Eco - into the highest gear asap, more dead throttle pedal, but hauls it if you plant it.
Sport - hangs in a high gear after throttle lift off, won’t shift into highest gear at back road speeds, great for forcing downshifts on long slopes downwards for engine braking so you need not ride the brakes, steering stiffed up but no more responsive or lively (annoying). Definitely scoots faster, but that has to do with throttle mapping.

So what I would do is dump eco, sport, and normal and replace it with a dial which allows you to adjust throttle mapping. Want the pedal more responsive and it to scoot faster? Dial it up. Want it less so? Dial it down. Need it to shift faster? Push your foot faster and harder. The steering would be left alone, and the transmission would always seek the highest gear when in auto mode. Oh yes, auto mode, because paddle shifters all around and then done right - If you put it into 2nd gear, it is in second. Even from a stand still. Same with any other gear. In snow in particular, being able to control the transmission and power to the road is very helpful and being able to lock it into any particular gear is a serious bonus IF it stays there and does not shift up or down.

While we are at it, traction control on a button. Like everybody else does. This ridiculous over use of the computer screen is not exactly helpful - if I want it off I want it off NOW not after a menu dive.

Building in an actual throttle mapping dial would be something rather unique for Ford to do and would allow them to offer something that I have not seen other auto makers do at this kind of price point. Otherwise, all they are really offering the same thing as everyone else albeit in a much nicer package.

What color is your Big Bend? So far this looks like the Area 51 Club thread.

Last edited:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
goat dial should def be on the dash. a quick button for the traction control would be stellar as well. i used the eco mode on a trip across the prairies, it was great. other than that, normal mode always.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
goat dial should def be on the dash. a quick button for the traction control would be stellar as well. i used the eco mode on a trip across the prairies, it was great. other than that, normal mode always.
I have no idea why they put the traction control on the Badlands and not the others. I've never been in an "adventure" type car that didn't have the button on the dash, my Crosstrek had it. It's the first thing you disable when going off pavement.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I know Ford's design principle is to start the car in 'default' with respect to GOAT mode, etc. But I'd like a menu option where you can override and pick which mode is selected upon vehicle ignition. During the winter I'm almost always on 'slippery.' Some people would set 'sport' as default because it also disables auto start/stop.

I also dislike a rotary selector in close proximity to the rotary shifter. The drive mode toggle switch on the 2020 Ecoboost Mustang Premium I rented is much better, plus it's more intuitive (two up clicks, one down click, etc).

OP
OP

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I have no idea why they put the traction control on the Badlands and not the others. I've never been in an "adventure" type car that didn't have the button on the dash, my Crosstrek had it. It's the first thing you disable when going off pavement.
Our Prius has it…

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"

So basically you just want a Peddle Commander. ;)

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
There are times, even in a Prius, where you need to turn the computer off and allow tire spin. With traction control on it kills power if too much slippage is detected, this is for safety but when you are stuck... getting unstuck is more important.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I believe there’s a lot of things they can rethink on this car and the stupid goat modes is the least of their worries lol

fix this cheap, easy to scratch interior, and fix the easy chipping paint. or the flimsy hood that sometimes feels like it’s going to come loose on the freeway. It’s a good car but, it has some flaws

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I use slippery when climbing my loose gravel roads, on them daily.
Sport is something to play with, it’s just a toy mode, serves no purpose but I like it at times.
I think it’s funny how some people think sport mode makes your BS faster. It just moves shift points up the tach and I can do that with my right foot..
Have yet to encounter a time or place where I’d want to turn off traction control.
All I’d want is a way to set startup defaults. I do not need the engine auto start/stop.
And I’d like to just get in and drive with a black info screen. One that I can turn on, use, then it fades to black(off) after a few minutes.
Ford, give me user programmable system control. So I can permanently disable lane keeping, that I hate.

Last edited: