Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
From what I have seen, only 1 recall was directly related to the 1.5L engine (oil separator). Others were not engine specific (brakes, etc.).
OK, I conflated the oil leak recall and the separator recall- they're the same recall so there are 2.
Only 1.5's have vacuum boosters so only 1.5's have brake recalls.
Only 1.5's have the separator/leak issue.

A bunch of other minor recalls could hit any trim, like the moonroof one, but some of those recalls were for just 100 cars and they wouldn't be on a new order because they were supplier issues. I knew I'd get pushback on this. But like I said, just how the cards fell. It could easily have been the opposite.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Only 1.5's have vacuum boosters so only 1.5's have brake recalls.
Nope vacuum boosters are on all sports that don't have Copilot 360 Assist+ option. We have owners on this forum with Badlands that have confirmed they have vacuum brake booster.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Nope vacuum boosters are on all sports that don't have Copilot 360 Assist+ option. We have owners on this forum with Badlands that have confirmed they have vacuum brake booster.
You need to stop tearing down his case that 1.5 is inferior.

All hail the Badlands./s

OP
OP

Mrdhatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I think the consensus is, there is no consensus :) Really it comes down to needs, wants, and what you are willing to pay.

Thinking on it, if it were me and I could afford either but still had no idea what to get I would go with a Badlands. My thought here is if it turned out I really did not care for the Badlands trim, with a little bit of legwork I could trade it in on a Outer Banks for at least an equal trade. If I went with the OB and decided I rather have the Badlands, trading in becomes a bit more work as the Badlands trim is not as plentiful.

Or maybe I would say to hell with it all and get a Jag F-Type. Love the F-Type!
I also love the F type lol but that's probably after I win the lottery lol

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I am debating between the OB and the Bad Lands. I will most likely never off-road. It will be my daily driver with an 80-mile round trip, through winters on roads that have not been cleared yet most of the time. I drove the 1.5 liter and it seemed fine. I am a little weary about not having enough enjoyable power. I am also a little worried about how the 3 cylinders will hold up as compared to the 4 cylinders. Please talk me out or into the badlands vs the OB. Just looking for Advice.
You live in Iowa. I like in Alaska. We had the Ford 3 cylinder 1 liter engines in some Fiestas. They were great and extremely dependable but when it got down below minus 20 degrees they'd feel so rough that I was afraid they'd come flying off their mounts. And because of their small size, they'd never really warm up to operating temperature at those and lower temperatures. You're probably safe temperature-wise in Iowa. I know it can get pretty cold in parts of the mid-west but am throwing that out there in case it gets extra cold at your location. I think the roughness in extreme cold temps would apply to all of the 3 cylinder engines. Even so, the one 3 cylinder engine we've still got in the family is doing just fine and it's 8 years old now.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
A lot of ppl who own a 1.5 are happy with it. Others want the 2.0. its what ever fits the individual best based on their preferences.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

All hail the Badlands./s
I think the sarcasm is well placed. Too many comments are merely a measuring contest. Comes down to what you are willing to pay, what you absolutely must have, and what you ultimately need. The difference in the 1.5 and 2.0 isn't as significant as many make it out to be.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
I am debating between the OB and the Bad Lands. I will most likely never off-road. It will be my daily driver with an 80-mile round trip, through winters on roads that have not been cleared yet most of the time. I drove the 1.5 liter and it seemed fine. I am a little weary about not having enough enjoyable power. I am also a little worried about how the 3 cylinders will hold up as compared to the 4 cylinders. Please talk me out or into the badlands vs the OB. Just looking for Advice.
Get the twin turbo 4 cyl.. I'm gentle and getting 30.2 mpg. But whe you need it the BL is a rocket.

Dogula

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Badlands all the way. It's more than just the 2.0. It has an upgraded AWD system with a twin-clutch torque-vectoring rear end, and off-road suspension. Also has front 180 degree camera. The superior engine, AWD setup, and suspension are only the start. The BL comes with all-terrain tires and a full-size spare. You also get metal underbody skidplates, front tow hooks, black front and rear bumpers, and the same black contrast roof as the Outer Banks. Also more drive modes. The BL has the best resale value too. I took delivery on my 22 in Dec, and have another on order scheduled for July.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I drove a 2.0 Escape Titanium for 7 years which I traded for my OB. I have not an appreciable difference between the two power wise. I opted for the OB over the BL because I wanted the auto wipers and heated windshield because my Escape had them and I couldn't justify the extra expense for the off-road stuff that I will never use. Just my 0.02 worth.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Badlands all the way. It's more than just the 2.0. It has an upgraded AWD system with a twin-clutch torque-vectoring rear end, and off-road suspension. Also has front 180 degree camera. The superior engine, AWD setup, and suspension are only the start. The BL comes with all-terrain tires and a full-size spare. You also get metal underbody skidplates, front tow hooks, black front and rear bumpers, and the same black contrast roof as the Outer Banks. Also more drive modes. The BL has the best resale value too. I took delivery on my 22 in Dec, and have another on order scheduled for July.
All of the benefits are true of the Badlands...OP mentioned likely never going off-road...makes all the AWD/locking diff irrelevant. It might sell the deal, it might be one of those extras they don't need. I'd say for others looking at the same choices you make valid points.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I drove a 2.0 Escape Titanium for 7 years which I traded for my OB. I have not an appreciable difference between the two power wise. I opted for the OB over the BL because I wanted the auto wipers and heated windshield because my Escape had them and I couldn't justify the extra expense for the off-road stuff that I will never use. Just my 0.02 worth.
I could not disagree more.

The 1.5 in the BS I tested felt and sounded significantly different to the 2.0 in my 19 Escape Titanium.

The 2.0 genuinely feels stronger, quicker, quieter and more refined. The difference isn’t small at all.

It’s the better engine In pretty much every way except for fuel economy.

I think the 1.5 has adequate power. I really wanted to like it but couldn’t get over the noise and vibration.

BroncMan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kr-photography.ca
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I had the same thought before purchase. I've got the 2021 Outer Banks and I'm glad I did! 200 hp is way enough and accelerates fantastic! If you are not a devoted off-roader the OB is way better and has features the Badlands lacks. Never a doubt about 3 cylinders!! For what you describe ... get the OB! Check out which extras to order. E.g. - mine came with the trailer hitch package and therefor has a full size spare tire. Get extra rubber mats for muddy days. Good luck!
Ford Bronco Sport I am getting ready to order a new Bronco sport I need some advice on OB vs BL NewBronco-Oct30-2021-1a

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I'm quoting your post to save some typing. I agree with what you wrote, and would add the ATF cooler and engine oil cooler. Also, there are some suspension components that are stronger. Then there is the rubber flooring and water cooled (as opposed to air cooled) PDU. Paddle shifters as well. You get a lot for the additional cost.

That said, it sounds like the OP does not need most/any of the additional features the Badlands has. To be honest, neither do we -- at least not 98% of the time. My thinking was that the BL was only ~$650 more than the OB when I ordered (IIRC). It was not a drastic difference -- so why not?

People have different priorities, but my wife and I are used to driving older vehicles (the newest is a 2002 WRX) so we have never had most of the newer features on late model cars and trucks. Some are useful, but many we just don't care about. So we do not miss what is not included on the BL. If we did want that stuff, we could have ordered the premium package.

The trade-off between the OB and BL is (in large part) more electronic features vs a more capable AWD system and better drivetrain and suspension. For us, it was a no-brainer to go with the BL. That does not mean for a second that any of the other trims are not a good -- or better -- choice. Only that the BL was right for us.

It sounds like an OB would suit the OP just fine. We have family near Des Moines so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Because there are few (if any) steep hills, and snow is typically measured in inches (not feet) my guess is that any FWD car with traction control and good winter tires would be adequate. From what I've read, the AWD system on the OB works well (I've been focused on the BL though) -- and it is obviously better than FWD. I think it would be fine for DM winters.

That said, the BL would be even better on snow/ice and it does not (or did not) cost much more -- if the buyer does not need the premium package, etc. Our BL with tow package and roof rails was $36,465 (we paid MSRP/sticker).
Sponsored

Last edited: