First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
OB has lot of features std and better fuel economy. Badlands more eng power, more ground clearance, locking rear differential which will help in deep snow, but need to add Premium Package to get interior similar to OB.

If you love feel of powerful engine Badlands is it.
If you are fine with just enough power but like better fuel economy get OB. While OB is 3 cyl its turbo charged intercooled direct and port injected so its a bit more then just a 3 cyl.
Sponsored

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
Personally, I was planning to order an Outer Banks. What changed my mind? First, I was going from a 5.0L V8 F150 Super Crew with a 36 gallon tank. In town I was getting between 16-18 mpg, up to 23 on open freeway driving. Second, I wanted leather and the moonroof. The Badlands made better sense. Currently averaging 22-23 in town. I havenā€™t taken it for a longer freeway drive, yet. I can tell you Iā€™m getting almost as many miles from the 16 gallon tank on the Bronco Sport as I was on the F150. Now that Iā€™m home for awhile, Iā€™ll finish some of my vinyl projects and get some pictures of the safe I installed. At about $180.00 less then Ford wanted, I donā€™t really care if there is a Ford blue oval on a hidden safe. JMO.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Absolutely agreed. It will pass quite capably and sport mode does help,.but this ain't no Maserati šŸ˜Ž
If 250HP doesnā€™t feel fast, then 181HP is going to feel like a dog.;)

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
If 250HP doesnā€™t feel fast, then 181HP is going to feel like a dog.;)
Close to 40% gain in power is no small difference. But...it all depends how and where you drive often.'

I used to commute sometime on bike for 9 miles. I saw an awesome sounding M5 next to me near my office, and when I got close to home, that M5 is also still next to me :crackup: 500+ hp vs pair of legs

To some people that 181 hp may be more than they need...and it all depends on how the power is delivered. My PHEV's (plug-in-hybrid) 90 hp electric motor is all I need to commute to work thru regular streets for 14 miles. the engine barely comes on to aid a slight hill climb. And I drive pretty chill on the commute. so maybe the 181 hp is more than i ever use on my commute....but I ordered the BL for its additional power. I don't think I will take it on serious rock crawling or something...but some forest dirt roads will be part of the future agenda.

Absolutely agreed. It will pass quite capably and sport mode does help,.but this ain't no Maserati šŸ˜Ž
try one of the latest EV truck....I just test drove one of these..it can tow a truck and still beat an F150 raptor in 1/4 mile. absolutely unnecessary power (true for many EV on the market)...but...I Iike it. a Maserati 1,200 horsepower Granturismo Folgore would be nice too
Ford Bronco Sport I am getting ready to order a new Bronco sport I need some advice on OB vs BL 1652415607401

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
Between my wife and I, we have one of each (1.5 and 2.0) and to be honest I find the 1.5 in her Big Bend more than enough. I have never felt like it needed more power and I live and drive at high elevation with mountain passes. It flat out scoots when you get after it, and it gets significantly better mpg than my Badlands.
My 0.02 is to get the OB and don't look back. If you buy a Badlands with no intent of off roading you are spending a lot of money on things you don't need and won't use. And even if you decide you do want to do some off roading down the line, the OB is likely all you'll need anyway.
I traded a 4runner for my Badlands and thought I needed the Badlands for its capability. Truth be told, even with all of the dirt road exploring I do in Wyoming and Colorado, a Big Bend is probably what I should have bought.
Cheers
I, for one, appreciate your obviously unbiased opinion. Since you own Bronco Sports with both engines, you have no reason to exaggerate your personal experiences one way or the other.

Sometimes, it seems, some think they have to justify their purchase by, shall we say, stretching the truth. When it gets to the point of someone saying the 1.5 "struggles" up a driveway, it becomes laughable.

ESBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Fusion 15 Patriot 03 CooperS 85 F150
My question would be, what is your current vehicle? My wife wanted the OB because she liked the interior better. But when she drove it it was noticeably less powerful than her current vehicle and she immediately turned to the BL. If the OB is as good or better than what you already have then youā€™re a winner either way. I think it boils down to perspective.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm 100% biased for the Badlands and it isn't just for the engine. If you can afford it then the Badlands is the trim to get. The other trims give a different feeling ride, not just less ooomph.
Keep in mind if you like the "luxuries" that the Outer Banks offers, you need to add the option package to the Badlands to incorporate most of those features.

Just the way the cards fell, the 2.0 trims have zero specific recalls. There are at least three on the 1.5s so far. This 1.5 is reported to be different from the 1.5 with the cylinder issues from a few years back. The forum has debated back and forth about timing belt vs. timing chain on the 1.5. I've seen evidence of both being possible.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Your situation is similar to mine when I ordered in late 2020. I had a 120 mile daily commute, Wisconsin seasons, etc. played a part. I got the OB for a couple of reasons; good mileage (31-32 during my commute), heated seats/steering wheel for winter, remote start, and some creature comforts I never cared about before. I'm getting older and pampering myself more.

Will the 1.5L win a drag race, no. Will it claw up a steep rock climb, no. It does, however, have plenty of power for merging onto highways, passing on country roads or highways, zipping around town, or taking trailheads to backcountry.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
I'm 100% biased for the Badlands and it isn't just for the engine. If you can afford it then the Badlands is the trim to get. The other trims give a different feeling ride, not just less ooomph.
Keep in mind if you like the "luxuries" that the Outer Banks offers, you need to add the option package to the Badlands to incorporate most of those features.

Just the way the cards fell, the 2.0 trims have zero specific recalls. There are at least three on the 1.5s so far. This 1.5 is reported to be different from the 1.5 with the cylinder issues from a few years back. The forum has debated back and forth about timing belt vs. timing chain on the 1.5. I've seen evidence of both being possible.
From what I have seen, only 1 recall was directly related to the 1.5L engine (oil separator). Others were not engine specific (brakes, etc.).

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
I, for one, appreciate your obviously unbiased opinion. Since you own Bronco Sports with both engines, you have no reason to exaggerate your personal experiences one way or the other.

Sometimes, it seems, some think they have to justify their purchase by, shall we say, stretching the truth. When it gets to the point of someone saying the 1.5 "struggles" up a driveway, it becomes laughable.
must be heck of a steep driveway...

it comes down to need vs want sometime. @Bronco307 has experience driving both extensively. I certainly don't. Looks like the base price between an OB and BL is about $2700 difference. I hope you get a chance to drive both on a highway to know the difference before picking one.

Let's put some numbers....
the real difference of the power will come during a highway speed passing situation. within the city/town, the 1.5 Turbo will provide plenty of torque and power to get going. Say accelerate to pass a slow truck on the highway from 50 mph to 75 mph (basic assumptions and calculated values. Not a real car test)

2.9 seconds with 242 hp
3.9 seconds with 180 hp

There is ONE second difference...tho almost 25%. With about 35% gain in power...but 8% gain in price. Everyone can make their judgment call :)

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
There is a house close to where I live that has a seriously steep (yet short) driveway. Thereā€™s absolutely no way a car or even most regular SUVs could get up or down it without a lot of scraping. Iā€™ve never seen the owner use it and I have no idea why it was designed that way.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
There is a house close to where I live that has a seriously steep (yet short) driveway. Thereā€™s absolutely no way a car or even most regular SUVs could get up or down it without a lot of scraping. Iā€™ve never seen the owner use it and I have no idea why it was designed that way.
yes, I'm aware of those. Not to mention SF has 30+% streets!
Ford Bronco Sport I am getting ready to order a new Bronco sport I need some advice on OB vs BL 1652468671685

Funkygus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I think the consensus is, there is no consensus :) Really it comes down to needs, wants, and what you are willing to pay.

Thinking on it, if it were me and I could afford either but still had no idea what to get I would go with a Badlands. My thought here is if it turned out I really did not care for the Badlands trim, with a little bit of legwork I could trade it in on a Outer Banks for at least an equal trade. If I went with the OB and decided I rather have the Badlands, trading in becomes a bit more work as the Badlands trim is not as plentiful.

Or maybe I would say to hell with it all and get a Jag F-Type. Love the F-Type!
Sponsored