V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I figured I'd post results of my second trip down to Key West from Miami earlier today. This trip is a perfect hypermiler trip. It was a 310 mile R/T, 90% of it is posted between 45 and 55 mph, heavily monitored with speed traps every 10 miles, and those are the ones you can see. Probably more hidden ones I didn't see. With that I just turn on Intelligent Cruise and let it do its thing.
As you can see by the first photo I was getting just over 44 mpg at the end of my trip. Of course this not accurate because it was a short term avg. After filling the tank It worked out to a solid 42mpg after doing a hand calculation.

The big number is the long term average which you can see in the other photo. My 8800 Mile avg. is 33.1 mpg. This is spot on, I calculate by hand every time I fill the tank. Now I know the mpg bashers are already wanting to write how unrealistic it is to get such good milage. I write this post just to show what the 1.5 is capable of in the short and long term if the conditions are right for hyper mileing. If someone can beat my long term average I will buy you a coffee and a dozen donuts. You will have to share your method as I'm always looking for that extra mile or two out of a gallon. I never imagined my BS was capable of such good milage. I definitely didn't buy it for mpg, another big surprise from the the little engine that could)
Ford Bronco Sport Hypermiler Report 20221103_143947
Ford Bronco Sport Hypermiler Report 20221103_143919
Sponsored

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I get 21 city and 19 highway in my BL. Is basically a hybrid.

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I'm new to this, and still waiting on my order. As I was shopping for my next car, gas mileage was important to me. I was impressed with the advertised mpg for the size vehicle.

What are some hints to getting the best gas mileage but without going to extremes?

I assume using the assist ++, leaving the auto stop enabled, using the highest recommended gasoline, and then conservative driving (no rapid starts/stops, keeping with speed limit).

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
T
I'm new to this, and still waiting on my order. As I was shopping for my next car, gas mileage was important to me. I was impressed with the advertised mpg for the size vehicle.

What are some hints to getting the best gas mileage but without going to extremes?

I assume using the assist ++, leaving the auto stop enabled, using the highest recommended gasoline, and then conservative driving (no rapid starts/stops, keeping with speed limit).
You hit on several good points. The best methods for saving fuel, aka money is driving inputs, driving the speed limit, using cruise control as much as practical and keeping the vehicle maintenance up to date. For city driving the auto stop is definitely a fuel saver. Those are all common sense methods.

For better mpg I also modified my intake and exhaust systems. The cost was recovered in about 8 months of driving. I increased tire pressure 4lbs. and also use Liquid Moly Ceratek oil additive. For fuel use a top tier 87 octane fuel unless you are towing or driving around with extra people and cargo, especially in the higher elevations and the rough country. The extra cost of mid grade or premium fuel doesnt translate into better fuel economy for regular commutes to work for example. It's simple really, excessive speed and idling kills mpg but there are so many variables that sometimes you have to deal with each one through trial and error to see what works best.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
For better mpg I also modified my intake and exhaust systems. The cost was recovered in about 8 months of driving.
Can you share some numbers on this? By my calculations, the difference between 28 mpg and 30 mpg over 12,000 miles with gas at $4.50/gal is about $125.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I figured I'd post results of my second trip down to Key West from Miami earlier today. This trip is a perfect hypermiler trip. It was a 310 mile R/T, 90% of it is posted between 45 and 55 mph, heavily monitored with speed traps every 10 miles, and those are the ones you can see. Probably more hidden ones I didn't see. With that I just turn on Intelligent Cruise and let it do its thing.
As you can see by the first photo I was getting just over 44 mpg at the end of my trip. Of course this not accurate because it was a short term avg. After filling the tank It worked out to a solid 42mpg after doing a hand calculation.

The big number is the long term average which you can see in the other photo. My 8800 Mile avg. is 33.1 mpg. This is spot on, I calculate by hand every time I fill the tank. Now I know the mpg bashers are already wanting to write how unrealistic it is to get such good milage. I write this post just to show what the 1.5 is capable of in the short and long term if the conditions are right for hyper mileing. If someone can beat my long term average I will buy you a coffee and a dozen donuts. You will have to share your method as I'm always looking for that extra mile or two out of a gallon. I never imagined my BS was capable of such good milage. I definitely didn't buy it for mpg, another big surprise from the the little engine that could)
I can't beat your mileage, but I agree that this vehicle is excellent on the MPGs if a little care is taken. I just crossed 10K (sorry about the sun glare in my pic) - my display is 29.2 MPG average, my hand calculation is 28.2 MPG over that time frame. Best hand calculated tank I've had is 32.09 MPG. I use midgrade fuel in Colorado - where we sell 85 as regular - and I drive in normal mode. I'm a super commuter 2x a week - one way to the office is 113 miles. Mainly highway, but Denver metro traffic isn't fun and a lot of idling so the auto stop is a great help. Also I've found mountain driving does not really impact mileage - I had a roof box on and was still pulling 30+ MPG going from Front Range over to Fruita over several mountain passes, curvy roads and various speed limits.
Ford Bronco Sport Hypermiler Report 20221031_225339089_iOS

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My 2.0 has amazed me with its gas mileage. I got 32 mpg coming down from Moab to Albuquerque. I averge around 27 mpg in city/freeway driving. With a roof box my mileage went down to about 23, and pulling 5x7 utility trailer I got 21. I just drove 100 miles today at 70 mph max speed and averaged 30.8 mpg. I hauled 400 lbs. of water on the way up, and about 150 lbs of wood on the way back.
My BS isn't as capable off road as my lifted Jeep Liberty diesel with KO2s was, but gas iis cheaper than diesel and I' only got about 25 on the highway and 20 in town with it. I know I'll lose some when I lift and upgrade tires. I have the Falken 235/65 R17s on it now. I've been using the 86 octane Regular they sell here. I can't tell any difference with Premium, although I did use it when pulling the trailer.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
45-55 mph at sea level and on flat roads, no stop and go, not many stops at all, cept to pee. IF you had to.
Just rollin rollin rollin, Raw hide !
Those speeds are below where the Bronco Sports brick like shape would lower avg mpg’s but those conditions are not normal for 98% of us.
Fun to read but of no value in determining the efficiency of the 1.5L

Last edited:
OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
45-55 mph at sea level and on flat roads, no stop and go, not many stops at all, crept to pee. IF you had to.
Just rollin rollin rollin, Raw hide !
Those speeds are below where the Bronco Sports brick like shape would lower avg mpg’s but those conditions are not normal for 98% of us.
Fun to read but of no value in determining the efficiency of the 1.5L
I would have been surprised if a mpg basher didn't chime in. I disagree with your "no value" comment, my report thoroughly demenstrates the efficiency, that was the reason I posted it. Granted conditions need to be aligned to get that kind of mileage. If I'm in the 2% that can get that kind of milaege than I feel kind of special) It really takes little effort to get an extra 20, 30 or more miles out of a tank of gas no mattrr where you drive. Try it, you might be surprised.

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Can you share some numbers on this? By my calculations, the difference between 28 mpg and 30 mpg over 12,000 miles with gas at $4.50/gal is about $125.
Without laying my receipts out and getting actual gallons used a rough guesstimate is I have saved between 100 and 128 gallons with a avg price of $4.50 gallon. That equates into 450-576 dollars I've saved. Fuel prices have really fluctuated since February so the numbers are very rough without breaking down each receipt. When I hit the 12 month mark in February I'll sit down and get into more solid numbers.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would have been surprised if a mpg basher didn't chime in. I disagree with your "no value" comment, my report thoroughly demenstrates the efficiency, that was the reason I posted it. Granted conditions need to be aligned to get that kind of mileage. If I'm in the 2% that can get that kind of milaege than I feel kind of special) It really takes little effort to get an extra 20, 30 or more miles out of a tank of gas no mattrr where you drive. Try it, you might be surprised.
There are those of us that care a bit about mileage. Obviously, not all driving conditions are conducive to great mileage, but I too am surprised by the 30+ mpg I can get with a little conscience driving and pretty normal driving conditions.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Without laying my receipts out and getting actual gallons used a rough guesstimate is I have saved between 100 and 128 gallons with a avg price of $4.50 gallon. That equates into 450-576 dollars I've saved. Fuel prices have really fluctuated since February so the numbers are very rough without breaking down each receipt. When I hit the 12 month mark in February I'll sit down and get into more solid numbers.
Just to be clear, I'm asking specifically about your intake and exhaust modifications. You said these paid for themselves in gas savings. Is that what you meant, or were you referring to all the things you've done in aggregate? If you are saying you saved that much gas with just intake and exhaust mods I'm really curious exactly what you did. About how many miles did you drive to save that much fuel?

OP
OP
V8 Yankee

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Just to be clear, I'm asking specifically about your intake and exhaust modifications. You said these paid for themselves in gas savings. Is that what you meant, or were you referring to all the things you've done in aggregate? If you are saying you saved that much gas with just intake and exhaust mods I'm really curious exactly what you did. About how many miles did you drive to save that much fuel?
I did several mods and tweaks that combined increased my mpg significantly. I also need to add my location and personal driving habits added to the overall gain in mpg. The intake and exhaust where at the top of the list. To date I have over 13K since the mods. I removed the OEM muffler and replaced it with two 2.25 inch Vibrant Resonators, finalized with two 3" Ceramic coated tips. On the intake I replaced the OEM Air Box to MAF with a smooth bore silicone hose, 2.5X3". Added a K&N Filter and called it good. I use full synthetic oil with Liquid Moly CeraTec additive and a very high quality fuel additive. This additive is used on Industrial Power Plants, Locomotives, lrg ship engines, etc. It is not marketed so much for retail, mostly fleet and industrial applications. I also increased tire pressure by 4lbs. And as I mentioned above I'm very conscience on driving inputs, speed limits, cruise control etc.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy

Absolutely believe it. I've pulled many 30 mpg trips on my BL with one particularly good trip over 33 mpg. I've gotten higher mpg on shorter trips. My lifetime average is 28 mpg after 38,000 miles. I use 91 octane ethanol free gas and don't drive it like a sports car. So I have no doubt the 1.5 can get 40 plus easily at times!
Sponsored