HP and torque specs new 6.7 powerstroke

BroncoBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
sorry i don’t have them, I’m just wondering how stinking long till Ford releases them....
I mean these new superdutys are pretty much in production already!
Give us the numbers people!
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
sorry i don’t have them, I’m just wondering how stinking long till Ford releases them....
I mean these new superdutys are pretty much in production already!
Give us the numbers people!
ford has been EXTREMELY tight lipped about EVERYTHING lately. bronco, mustang gt500, 7.3, baby bronco, EVERYTHING that is coming out.

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 f-250 6.9 idi diesel, 2004 jeep liberty sport
Having worked on this engine actually (Obviously I cant give you guys any numbers...) I can tell you that it will be awesome! Couple things that were released that nobody is really talking about are the higher pressure fuel injection, 2500 bar (crazy!), and the steel pistons. The higher injection pressure obviously gives better atomization which allows the engine to make more power while riding that fine line of emissions compliance. And the steel pistons are the gift that keeps on giving, first of all the steel shares the same thermal expansion as the block so it can be run to tighter tolerances. 2nd steel has a lower coefficient of heat transfer which means its more thermally efficient than aluminum (Heat loss is power loss). 3rd Steel is stronger allowing for a much smaller skirt, and shorter crown height (longer connecting rod) both of which contribute to significantly reduced engine friction. Also the stronger piston allows the use of a smaller wrist pin which helps make up for the added weight of the steel. All in all its a sick beast of an engine that stands out in a field of diesels that are spectacular in their own right.

More food for thought: the 6.7 Cummins is the torque king right now at 1000 ft-lbs, however the Duramax with only (ONLY lol) 910 lb-ft of torque will still put more torque to the ground since its 10 speed more than makes up for it compared to the Rams 8 speed. Remember, no matter what anyone says you can gear for torque, torque is nice but it only tells half the story, the other half is speed. and well, 10 speeds> 8 speeds. So having said that, Ford is launching a new generation of Powerstroke with much more comprehensive upgrades than readers are giving credit to, and it will be mated to a 10 speed trans as well (co-developed with GM but Ford did all the dirty work ;) ) History shows that Ford likes to put down the numbers. I've told you all I can! Read between the lines, this thing will RIPPPP!

Last edited:

ChrispyKC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Platinum, 2016 Escape SE, 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sahara
ANYONE who has driven the new 10 speed that’s coming out of a 6 speed will tell you that the transmission completely changes the truck and makes it what it is supposed to be. The 3.5L Eco mated with the 10 speed is a match made in heaven.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Some of the ratio distribution seems uneven for the 10R80. Do you imagine that would be more even for the 10R140? Something would presumably shift toward the lower end.

Ford Bronco Sport HP and torque specs new 6.7 powerstroke Ford 10R80 base

eta: for giggles here's a 7sp manual getrag MT88 ...
Ford Bronco Sport HP and torque specs new 6.7 powerstroke MT88 7sp Manual Hypothetical

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think dieselhub has all the ratios for all the transmissions in the "big three" trucks the last couple decades

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
I think dieselhub has all the ratios for all the transmissions in the "big three" trucks the last couple decades
I don't think the 10R140 is a known quantity yet. The 2020 superduty and its 10speed are still listed as a future vehicle.

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the 10R140 is a known quantity yet. The 2020 superduty and its 10speed are still listed as a future vehicle.
True, but you can reference GM's HD 10 speed for a good benchmark. These are very similar architectures, obviously each OEM is handling their own manufacturing and calibration but the core design is shared. I wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked the ratios a bit, but overall they should be very similar.

JimmyDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having worked on this engine actually (Obviously I cant give you guys any numbers...) I can tell you that it will be awesome! Couple things that were released that nobody is really talking about are the higher pressure fuel injection, 2500 bar (crazy!), and the steel pistons. The higher injection pressure obviously gives better atomization which allows the engine to make more power while riding that fine line of emissions compliance. And the steel pistons are the gift that keeps on giving, first of all the steel shares the same thermal expansion as the block so it can be run to tighter tolerances. 2nd steel has a lower coefficient of heat transfer which means its more thermally efficient than aluminum (Heat loss is power loss). 3rd Steel is stronger allowing for a much smaller skirt, and shorter crown height (longer connecting rod) both of which contribute to significantly reduced engine friction. Also the stronger piston allows the use of a smaller wrist pin which helps make up for the added weight of the steel. All in all its a sick beast of an engine that stands out in a field of diesels that are spectacular in their own right.

More food for thought: the 6.7 Cummins is the torque king right now at 1000 ft-lbs, however the Duramax with only (ONLY lol) 910 lb-ft of torque will still put more torque to the ground since its 10 speed more than makes up for it compared to the Rams 8 speed. Remember, no matter what anyone says you can gear for torque, torque is nice but it only tells half the story, the other half is speed. and well, 10 speeds> 8 speeds. So having said that, Ford is launching a new generation of Powerstroke with much more comprehensive upgrades than readers are giving credit to, and it will be mated to a 10 speed trans as well (co-developed with GM but Ford did all the dirty work ;) ) History shows that Ford likes to put down the numbers. I've told you all I can! Read between the lines, this thing will RIPPPP!
no way it is 2500 bar. that is basically 37,000 psi.

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no way it is 2500 bar. that is basically 37,000 psi.
It is! They advertise it as 36k psi/2500 bar. The fuel system on modern diesels can get up to about a 3rd the cost of the engine! Everything downstream of the high pressure fuel pump is steel, no cast parts. The injector holes themselves are riding the edge of being as small as possible. Being this small requires crazy pressure to deliver the necessary fuel (and atomization), and they cant get much smaller or they will begin clogging/coking too easily.

So if you are wondering why your modern diesels are a 10k option, the emissions system is only part of the story. The fuel injection is on another level from what we were doing 20-30 years ago.

Just check out the fuel rails on a 6.7 Powerstroke vs a 3.5 Ecoboost. The gasser DI systems look comparably chintzy, and that's ok because they operate at only around 300 Bar or so max I think.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
True, but you can reference GM's HD 10 speed for a good benchmark. ...
Hmm, the little I can find would suggest the low gears are getting taller. I suppose if you're expecting to put 1000+lbft of torque behind it you don't need to try so hard with the gearing. It would also be less necessary to electronically torque limit the low end so you don't peel out every time you took off.

JimmyDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is! They advertise it as 36k psi/2500 bar. The fuel system on modern diesels can get up to about a 3rd the cost of the engine! Everything downstream of the high pressure fuel pump is steel, no cast parts. The injector holes themselves are riding the edge of being as small as possible. Being this small requires crazy pressure to deliver the necessary fuel (and atomization), and they cant get much smaller or they will begin clogging/coking too easily.

So if you are wondering why your modern diesels are a 10k option, the emissions system is only part of the story. The fuel injection is on another level from what we were doing 20-30 years ago.

Just check out the fuel rails on a 6.7 Powerstroke vs a 3.5 Ecoboost. The gasser DI systems look comparably chintzy, and that's ok because they operate at only around 300 Bar or so max I think.
dayum. I know my 6.0 operates a t a few k psi, didn't realize my 6.7 was that damn high though. impressive.

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dayum. I know my 6.0 operates a t a few k psi, didn't realize my 6.7 was that damn high though. impressive.
This is for 2020, however the previous generations of 6.7 were at least 2000 bar which is nothing to shake a stick at! Same with the current offered Cummins and Duramax.

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know its not "Bronco" but this thread is here already! For anyone interested, the numbers were released. The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 is rated at 475 hp @ 2,800 rpm and 1,050 lb-ft of torque @ 1,600 rpm

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/09/2020-ford-super-duty-can-tow-a-staggering-37000-lbs-here-are-all-the-diesel-specs-breaking-news/

Those RPMS are key, peak hp at 2800 (down speeding is the name of the game right now). Up the torque at lower rpm = same power for less fuel, though we are fast approaching the limit there

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)