How To Use Your FordPass Reward Points for Accessories

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I've been trying to figure out if FordPass points can be used to buy Ford accessories online.

This YouTube video from Ford Accessories says yes:

However, when I go to the Ford website, I see no way to do that:
https://accessories.ford.com/search?q=bronco+sport

So I called our dealership today and the parts guy confirmed that parts can be purchased using FordPass points online. In fact, he suggested I do so because there is a 20% discount for initial online orders.

Anyone know what the deal is?
Sponsored

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I was told by my dealer that I have to go through them. I’ve been trying for a month to order but I want the items sent to my home, not 20 miles away at the dealer. So far no success so I’d love to figure out how to use them online (!!)

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I tried to use the 20% off code to buy something yesterday online and have it delivered to the dealer. The code worked initially but when I got to the payment part it said that I couldn’t use the code “WOODWARD” for some reason.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I tried to use the 20% off code to buy something yesterday online and have it delivered to the dealer. The code worked initially but when I got to the payment part it said that I couldn’t use the code “WOODWARD” for some reason.
I have yet to have it work for me. I’ve ended getting my parts via other methods and always for less than the discount including shipping. Would be nice to support the process. I’ll use my points at some point.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The video literally tells you to "place the order at your local Ford dealer" @ 1:14.

I just went through the same thing. There is no way to checkout on the website with points and the dealerships are not Ford owned so they are not obligated to offer the promo codes pushed on the website. I had to go to three different dealers, but I found one that was willing to Net the price down to match online and then use my points. I don't think it costs them anything beyond having someone help place the order so I don't know why they are so reluctant to do it. I guess they're just hoping you'll bust out the wallet instead.

jimharrison1950

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend HOT PEPPER RED
I've been trying to figure out if FordPass points can be used to buy Ford accessories online.

This YouTube video from Ford Accessories says yes:

However, when I go to the Ford website, I see no way to do that:
https://accessories.ford.com/search?q=bronco+sport

So I called our dealership today and the parts guy confirmed that parts can be purchased using FordPass points online. In fact, he suggested I do so because there is a 20% discount for initial online orders.

Anyone know what the deal is?
We are going to use them for the major services 30,000-60,000 mile etc... We have 314,000 of them. They rip on small parts like a paint touch up stick they want 4,200 points for. That 1/10th of the points you get for buying a new Ford. WTF?

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are going to use them for the major services 30,000-60,000 mile etc... We have 314,000 of them. They rip on small parts like a paint touch up stick they want 4,200 points for. That 1/10th of the points you get for buying a new Ford. WTF?

So THAT"S where all the points are -- in your account! :cool:

We do as much maint. and repairs as we can here at home, but with a new vehicle like this there is bound to be stuff we can't do.

However, the points expire in <1 year, and any routine repairs (if any) would probably be covered under warranty.

We're still looking at accessories. As you said, they are all significantly over-priced, so however much your points are worth ($210 in our case), the actual amount is much less, because the true market value of what you purchase is significantly lower than what you paid.

That said, we want to get *something* for them. Ideally, something we cannot get elsewhere for a lot less. For example, I was ready to buy the Curt cargo carrier from Ford -- until I found it for ~$100 less -- delivered to our gate!

I was hoping to order online to a) get the 20% discount and b) avoid going to the dealership -- at least initially, for the order. Ideally we could have whatever we buy shipped to our house.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The video literally tells you to "place the order at your local Ford dealer" @ 1:14.

I just went through the same thing. There is no way to checkout on the website with points and the dealerships are not Ford owned so they are not obligated to offer the promo codes pushed on the website. I had to go to three different dealers, but I found one that was willing to Net the price down to match online and then use my points. I don't think it costs them anything beyond having someone help place the order so I don't know why they are so reluctant to do it. I guess they're just hoping you'll bust out the wallet instead.
Just to clarify -- you were able to find a Ford dealer who would match the price you would have paid with the promo code?

How much of a discount was the promo code good for? Do you recall what it was?

It sounds like you physically went to the 3 dealers, rather than calling them, is that right?

BTW -- the video also refers to "shopping online at Accessories.Ford.com", beginning at 1:04.

When I did a Google search it was queued to that point, with a partial transcript that matched my search. Even Ford's video is confusing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have yet to have it work for me. I’ve ended getting my parts via other methods and always for less than the discount including shipping. Would be nice to support the process. I’ll use my points at some point.
That's what we've done. As I mentioned in another post, we saved $100 on the Curt cargo carrier by purchasing from NAPA -- and that included delivery.

Needless to say, we want to spend the points, but I have a hard time spend my money (in the form of "points") on something that is way overpriced.

We're probably going to cave in and just buy a NOCO GB-70 Jump Start Pack ($259):
https://accessories.ford.com/products/noco-gb-70-battery-jump-start-pack

Of course it can be purchased for $19.95 (OK, $200) at Amazon and elsewhere:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B016UG6PWE/ref=asc_df_B016UG6PWE/

We're still looking. There are almost 260 items on that page I linked to in the OP.

Last edited:

jimharrison1950

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend HOT PEPPER RED
So THAT"S where all the points are -- in your account! :cool:

We do as much maint. and repairs as we can here at home, but with a new vehicle like this there is bound to be stuff we can't do.

However, the points expire in <1 year, and any routine repairs (if any) would probably be covered under warranty.

We're still looking at accessories. As you said, they are all significantly over-priced, so however much your points are worth ($210 in our case), the actual amount is much less, because the true market value of what you purchase is significantly lower than what you paid.

That said, we want to get *something* for them. Ideally, something we cannot get elsewhere for a lot less. For example, I was ready to buy the Curt cargo carrier from Ford -- until I found it for ~$100 less -- delivered to our gate!

I was hoping to order online to a) get the 20% discount and b) avoid going to the dealership -- at least initially, for the order. Ideally we could have whatever we buy shipped to our house.
They only expire in one year of inactivity. No points added or used.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They only expire in one year of inactivity. No points added or used.
Right Jim, thanks for clarifying that. I think that may also be mentioned in the video.

The problem is that we have not yet been able to find anything to spend the points on.

To clarify, there is plenty to spend them on, but everything is generally very overpriced so that has made us hesitant to purchase anything using points.

I'm afraid there's no getting around that though -- for accessories anyway. For service, since there's no other option/source (for factory service) using points makes more sense.

As I mentioned above, we'll probably cave and get something like that NOCO unit. It's $60 more than other vendors charge, but at the end of the day, we have to spend the points on something. It will be like getting the unit for $50 ($260-$210 in points), still a lot better than nothing.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Just to clarify -- you were able to find a Ford dealer who would match the price you would have paid with the promo code?

How much of a discount was the promo code good for? Do you recall what it was?

It sounds like you physically went to the 3 dealers, rather than calling them, is that right?

BTW -- the video also refers to "shopping online at Accessories.Ford.com", beginning at 1:04.

When I did a Google search it was queued to that point, with a partial transcript that matched my search. Even Ford's video is confusing.
Yes to all of that. AUG20, the 20% off code. I happened to order the same Curt carrier you wanted. Online seems to be about $200. It was 20% off $259 or $207.80 from Ford but with points so the perfect amount to burn them.

For the expiration, I get mixed info. It seems like they expire in a year, but it also sounds like if you keep earning or spending, they "reset" the 1yr timer. To make it more confusing they paused the point expiration for an uncertain period of time, Covid.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes to all of that. AUG20, the 20% off code. I happened to order the same Curt carrier you wanted. Online seems to be about $200. It was 20% off $259 or $207.80 from Ford but with points so the perfect amount to burn them.

For the expiration, I get mixed info. It seems like they expire in a year, but it also sounds like if you keep earning or spending, they "reset" the 1yr timer. To make it more confusing they paused the point expiration for an uncertain period of time, Covid.
20% off makes it more tolerable, for sure. If we had that deal I probably would have went for it also.

I was able to get the Curt carrier delivered to our gate for $141 (+tax) from NAPA.

I should say, it wasn't exactly easy. I tried one 20% off NAPA promo code, and it seemed to work until I went to check out. Then the discount disappeared. I asked a CSR why and they said that certain mfrs do not allow discounts.

Not being one to give up easily, I used a different 20% off code from an email that NAPA had sent me. Again, their site seemed to accept it -- up until checkout. Finally, instead of signing in to my NAPA account, I paid as if I was a new customer -- manually entered all personal and credit card info, etc. That worked, but even with auto-fill for the info, the overall process was a bit time-consuming.

I appreciate getting the points, they're a nice little perk, but I wish Ford's prices were more inline with other vendors.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I appreciate getting the points, they're a nice little perk, but I wish Ford's prices were more inline with other vendors.
They're full price from Ford, possibly a tiny bit inflated. Ford was, as I said, $259. The "regular price" at NAPA is $245.48. I bet it is 100% the same hardware and not like TVs where there are slight differences for each retailer. I'm a little unsure what I will end up doing with it. I can haul mulch or bark or some other bags I guess... but I just drop those in the back now. The Ford cargo mat is easy to clean. The GVWR for this particularly small car is resultingly pretty tiny. If I remember right it's only 834lbs of people and gear combined. Doesn't really matter if I put 200lbs in the cargo or on a carrier, there isn't enough rating for 400lbs and a load of people.

My ultimate goal is to convert the "cargo hauler" into a beach bench by adding a cushion and backrest. Pop up the tailgate for an overhang. Maybe just flip it over? Honestly the $70 Harbor Freight one looked more conducive to that modification. Or I can Craigslist this and get a quick Franklin instead of "points". Honestly, I hate all point programs from Airlines to Walgreens. But points beats cash right now!

Ford Bronco Sport How To Use Your FordPass Reward Points for Accessories Capture.JPG

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're full price from Ford, possibly a tiny bit inflated. Ford was, as I said, $259. The "regular price" at NAPA is $245.48. I bet it is 100% the same hardware and not like TVs where there are slight differences for each retailer. I'm a little unsure what I will end up doing with it. I can haul mulch or bark or some other bags I guess... but I just drop those in the back now. The Ford cargo mat is easy to clean. The GVWR for this particularly small car is resultingly pretty tiny. If I remember right it's only 834lbs of people and gear combined. Doesn't really matter if I put 200lbs in the cargo or on a carrier, there isn't enough rating for 400lbs and a load of people.

My ultimate goal is to convert the "cargo hauler" into a beach bench by adding a cushion and backrest. Pop up the tailgate for an overhang. Maybe just flip it over? Honestly the $70 Harbor Freight one looked more conducive to that modification. Or I can Craigslist this and get a quick Franklin instead of "points". Honestly, I hate all point programs from Airlines to Walgreens. But points beats cash right now!

Ford Bronco Sport How To Use Your FordPass Reward Points for Accessories Capture.JPG
I stay away from "rewards" and "points" programs too. Since Ford offers points with every new car purchase, I didn't turn them down. We do also have a couple credit cards that pay us to use them (rebates). That's it.

On the prices, of course there is often a "regular price" and/or MSRP, and then there is the actual bottom line sale price. Whatever NAPA claims their regular price is, I was able to buy the Curt carrier for $141 plus tax, delivered. That's $118 less than Ford's regular price -- almost half of what Ford charges (54%).

Every item I've looked at is the same way -- perhaps not as dramatic a difference, but substantial.

Take the NOCO GB-70 Jump Start Pack ($259). It's $200 elsewhere, or 77% of Ford's price.

It's not that big a deal -- but it is a bit 'slick' (for lack of a better word) to give customers points but then charge significantly more than the going market price for their products.

Still, even if owners do not get $210 worth of products for their 42,000 points, they're still worth a substantial amount of money.

As for the carrier, one primary reason we got it is to carry used oil (to recycle) and 5 gallon gas cans. Another potential use is to carry 32 gallon trash cans up to the road (our lane is about 1/10 mile). I normally just carry them (it's usually just one light one) but if they are heavy I might put them on the carrier. IDK -- just a thought. To be honest, I doubt we will use it very often, but it will come in handy.

Good point about the GVWR. Also, as you probably know, any weight hanging back behind the rear axle is "multiplied". Just for a generalized rough example, 200 lbs. on the carrier might be 275 lbs. on the rear axle and minus 75 lbs. off the front.
Sponsored

Last edited: