How many apps have you had to download to utilize Ford Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
...to utilize all the SW features for the Ford Apple Carplay or Android carplay? Seems we are always missing a phone app.

Every time we want to utilize a feature, the SYNC 3 will spin on the screen, then tell us we do not have the app loaded.

Geez.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have a single purpose: They permit you to interact with apps running on your phone using the screen and microphone in your car instead of those in your phone. In other words, CP or AA require you to have apps applicable to what you're trying to accomplish loaded on your phone; without them CP and AA can't do anything.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, that's what I'm finding out. I see it as anything you can do with the phone, you can have done with the Ford app. The most recent one for me was getting the voice activated feature on the Bronco to change the radio to a Sirus XM channel. Kept telling me there was no app on the phone to do that (had the phone plugged into the USB port.).

The IM feature was working, so I figured everything would work. I see now that anything (feature) I want to do hands free basically requires an app on the phone.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The most recent one for me was getting the voice activated feature on the Bronco to change the radio to a Sirus XM channel. Kept telling me there was no app on the phone to do that (had the phone plugged into the USB port.).
Ahhh. It sounds like you were trying to access a SYNC voice command while running Android Auto. As far as I know, you can't do that. With Android Auto running SYNC ignores all voice input to prevent interference with Android Auto (or CarPlay). If you want to run a SYNC command you have to exit AA (or CP) back to the SYNC interface (touch the Ford button on the Android Auto app list).

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh. It sounds like you were trying to access a SYNC voice command while running Android Auto. As far as I know, you can't do that. With Android Auto running SYNC ignores all voice input to prevent interference with Android Auto (or CarPlay). If you want to run a SYNC command you have to exit AA (or CP) back to the SYNC interface (touch the Ford button on the Android Auto app list).
I don't think that was the issue, as the wife has an Apple phone. She was receiving IM's from the son on the way to his house; she was able to use her voice to respond, and the nice lady in the sync voice command would repeat and ask for confirmation, then send.

Once that mother to son cord was cut (surgeon apparently forgot to cut it at birth), she wanted to listen to a Sirus XM station she had programmed in, but when she spoke the command, it stated on the display that an application was missing. I assume on her apple phone she needs an application to link it to Sirus XM?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think that was the issue, as the wife has an Apple phone. She was receiving IM's from the son on the way to his house; she was able to use her voice to respond, and the nice lady in the sync voice command would repeat and ask for confirmation, then send.
SYNC works the same with Apple CarPlay; it sends all voice commands to Apple instead of to the SYNC system. Depending on how the phone is configured, Apple CarPlay will activate automatically when you plug the phone in. The screen in the car will reconfigure to CarPlay rather than displaying the SYNC screen.

This is how the screen looks running SYNC:
Ford Bronco Sport How many apps have you had to download to utilize Ford Apple Carplay or Android Auto? dsc_2754

This is what it looks like running Apple CarPlay:
Ford Bronco Sport How many apps have you had to download to utilize Ford Apple Carplay or Android Auto? IMG_5028_720x

You cannot access SYNC commands with CarPlay running. If you want to switch to Sirius XM you must exit to SYNC by touching the Ford button. Once there, you can use SYNC voice commands to turn on Sirius, or use the screen interface.

Alternatively, there is an app you can load on your phone to access Sirius XM from CarPlay. You can read about it here.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I owe you a beer or beverage of choice should we ever meet.

I worked in the phone business for 39 years when it was electro mechanical, then digital, then VoIP, and now cellular. It's all apps/SW now. I figured it was an app, if the phone was plugged in.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
The voice response to the text message was most likely Siri on the iPhone not Sync.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sinbuster007

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 SUV's, 2 Mustangs
i use none of this...and my wife downloaded the fordpass app on my phone and was only open when we were at the dealership. i dont care about most of this stuff....i drive from here to there and dont care about the apps or the sync or whatever. i am fighting technology. i guess my personal beef but oh well. my buddy thinks im the weirdest guy he knows....
i still write out directions or use a map....(not the one on my phone, or Nav if the car has it....)
i still like to pay with cash too....
hopefully i die first before we have to pay everything or do anything with the chip that will be embedded into our wrists....

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i use none of this...and my wife downloaded the fordpass app on my phone and was only open when we were at the dealership. i dont care about most of this stuff....i drive from here to there and dont care about the apps or the sync or whatever. i am fighting technology. i guess my personal beef but oh well. my buddy thinks im the weirdest guy he knows....
i still write out directions or use a map....(not the one on my phone, or Nav if the car has it....)
i still like to pay with cash too....
hopefully i die first before we have to pay everything or do anything with the chip that will be embedded into our wrists....
You are a rare person, and I applaud you for that...however, my wife thinks it is just dandy that she can drive, and send a text via her voice to an app, then have it send to whomever.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i am fighting technology.
The wife is terrified of getting left behind technologically, so she gets the latest of everything. She even has an XBox so she can play FPS games with the G-kids. They think it's hilarious. The poor kids online who get killed by username "NanaBanana" are not as amused.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wife is terrified of getting left behind technologically, so she gets the latest of everything. She even has an XBox so she can play FPS games with the G-kids. They think it's hilarious. The poor kids online who get killed by username "NanaBanana" are not as amused.
Nanabanana...sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon show I used to watch as a kid...you know, black and white TV with rotary channel changing, non remote and three channels?

Vixen

Big Bend
First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have started to play around with AA and I'm lowkey confused everytime I plug my phone in. The voice command for google only works if I press the "speaker" button or the screen. Still learning :)

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have started to play around with AA and I'm lowkey confused everytime I plug my phone in. The voice command for google only works if I press the "speaker" button or the screen. Still learning :)
Sometimes I find if I place my tongue to the right corner of my mouth, stuff works. Or I just make it appear I know what I'm doing.
Sponsored