How hot is the heated steering wheel supposed to get? (OBX)

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Wind chill as I leave work is approaching -30 F. I thought the heated steering wheel was needless but I sure am glad as it comes on when I remote start. Toasty Eeyore!
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Wind chill as I leave work is approaching -30 F. I thought the heated steering wheel was needless but I sure am glad as it comes on when I remote start. Toasty Eeyore!
What I have been wondering is why the heated seats can’t work like the heated steering wheel. The steering wheel is obviously hotter when it first comes on and then tapers off to a lower temp as the vehicle warms. It would be great if the seats could do the same. If I start the seat heater on high (3 lights) it will be burning my tush before I realize it is too hot and turn it down to mid (2 lights), which takes a couple of minutes to drop the temp.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
If I start the seat heater on high (3 lights) it will be burning my tush before I realize it is too hot and turn it down to mid (2 lights), which takes a couple of minutes to drop the temp.
I had a girls' day with some friends last weekend and offered to drive us a few hours away to go shopping. She was so excited about the heated seats and immediately cranked hers to high. Regretted it within 5 minutes. I warned her!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a girls' day with some friends last weekend and offered to drive us a few hours away to go shopping. She was so excited about the heated seats and immediately cranked hers to high. Regretted it within 5 minutes. I warned her!
In AZ, there are very few days and places that would require the high setting on the seat heaters.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
In AZ, there are very few days and places that would require the high setting on the seat heaters.
We've had some chilly 30 degree mornings lately, but I've never cranked them past the medium setting. However, my NC move is coming up fast! I might be very thankful for the heated seats and steering wheel next winter.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've had some chilly 30 degree mornings lately, but I've never cranked them past the medium setting. However, my NC move is coming up fast! I might be very thankful for the heated seats and steering wheel next winter.
30 degrees is a mid level heat setting day. Below 20 is when high is required, at least for a few minutes.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
That’s the best part of the remote start. Turns on the butt warmers and front and rear defrost. Never used it in the summer, not sure what it does then. Hopefully, not the same.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
The steering wheel heats up pretty high....but felt great on a cold morning. and yes, we are wimps here in So Cal.

As far as the seat heater, that high level will work great to keep food warm when you are heading to a holiday gathering :)

Happy Holidays!

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Well we're in Meteorological Winter in the Chicago area. We've already had a few zeroF' with -35F windchill. Five minutes is about the max I've used the heated seats, and that's on low.
Much higher and I don't suggest passing gas :^)
Oh and on a totally different subject. On one of the zero days, I went for a drive to see if there was any validity to the claim that Stop/Start doesn't work in cold weather. After 22 minutes of driving I caught a red light, and it worked.
I had caught a few red lights before that, and the engine kept running.
So I call Bu11$#it on the cold weather claim. It takes a little longer, but if you're on an extended drive it will work - if you have a good battery.
Sponsored