How does computer calculate MPG?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Does anyone know how the car's computer calculates MPG? I noticed yesterday that after I filled up I had 325mi of estimated range. I filled up right before going on a 55 mile trip. At some point while driving the estimated range got all the way up to 340mi before it started going back down.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Does anyone know how the car's computer calculates MPG? I noticed yesterday that after I filled up I had 325mi of estimated range. I filled up right before going on a 55 mile trip. At some point while driving the estimated range got all the way up to 340mi before it started going back down.
calculates based on consumption rate and stored miles traveled...sort of. My car now typically I range 395 on a tank of gas with short trip suburban work driving. We crossed the state to visit our daughter, all highway and cruise control. Filled up and it showed 456 miles to empty due to better averages and cruise control driving. Once I start driving back and forth the two miles to work...the totals will come down. It changes with your driving habbits. If you spend a week keeping the tac below 2500...you will stretch the tank a lot further. OR simply reset your fuel calcs and it will give you current driving efficiency.
In your case the estimate went up with steady efficient 55MPH driving.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Most modern vehicles use a fuel flow rate sensor to determine how much fuel is being used per unit of time, or per unit of distance.

As far as estimated range, this is a dynamic number, constantly changing based on your average MPG. The higher the MPG, the more miles you can travel with the amount of fuel remaining. In your case the estimated range increased because your MPG increased during your highway drive.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
My BS BL estimated the MPG at 24.8MPG on my last tank. The actual via odometer and purchased gallons was 23.5. How does this 5% high compare to the rest of you?

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've noticed when I gas up now my miles to empty went from 425 to 380 to sometimes 390 miles to empty now and mpg has dropped from about 26 to 27 in town to about 23. Highway mpg has also dropped off to about 29, down from 33. I'm at 3400 miles.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Remember, changing tire size on a BB or base model will impact the computer's mileage calculations. If you swapped from factory 225/65R17 to 245/65R17, the computer is calibrated for the factory tire size, not your current size. The miles traveled via the odometer will be off slightly.
Sponsored