Hood "tremor" at speed

Bigbruva

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone else see a hood lift and tremble once they are at highway speeds? I recently did a long run across Montana and after a few hours of 80 mph this movement became pretty annoying! I took it to the dealer and was told this is not an issue they have seen and so no fix for it.
Sponsored

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
They all do this, particularly if you have a wind deflector on the front of the hood.

Around 75-80 mph is when it really becomes noticeable, moreso if you have a headwind. It's partially because the hood is made of aluminum, which flexes, but also I think the BS doesn't do a great job of passing wind through the grill and out because of the lifted ridges on both sides of the hood.

I don't know how much of an issue it ultimately is (more an annoyance), but others have posted about it if you look around on the forum.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yep mine does the same. Box aerodynamics. Aluminum lightweight hood. Solution? Increase bump stops to compress the gaps and slow down don't do 75-80. It's insignificant. Watch the hood of a race car. It's a wonder they don't vibrate into pieces...at 200mph

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
So like a heavy wind at highway speeds........?
kinda different as the driers are pointed straight down from the top. highway your taking the wind head on. i guess my point was the hood is flimsy, that's all.

OP
OP
Bigbruva

Bigbruva

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, I figured this might be common and the dealer was just downplaying it. It is not a big deal but it is a shame, I'll try playing with the bump stops and see if that improves it. Thanks all!

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
kinda different as the driers are pointed straight down from the top. highway your taking the wind head on. i guess my point was the hood is flimsy, that's all.
Ya it is kinda the same with the down force of the wind and it coming in at different angles, but I completely understand your point. Flexible is not always mean flimsy. the car got a 5star plus safety rating so if a hood seems flexible then so be it to me. 5K highway miles, and while it does flex, it has not cause one issue.

crockermt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
experienced the same vibration in mine going 80 across Montana! But the real vibration was coming across Idaho on a 2-lane undivided highway with a cross wind and a dual trailer semi going the other direction! thought the hood was going to fly off!