Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Anyone have trouble programming their Homelink button to work with their Genie garage door? I programmed my wife's new car a few months ago with no trouble. I can't get it to work on my new BS BL.

I've tried both methods outlined in the manual and a HomeLink video from their web site.... 1) using the Genie remote "with a fresh battery" held close to the HomeLink and 2) using the "transmit" button on the garage door motor. Each time I try, I first erase all prior Homelink programming by hold buttons 1&3 until the lights flash. Neither options work. After going through the programming steps, the HomeLink simply flashes rapidly when pushing the button and never activates the garage door.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
After going through the programming steps, the HomeLink simply flashes rapidly when pushing the button and never activates the garage door.
Try holding the button for a few seconds. I thought the HomeLink-equipped mirror I installed in my Badlands was defective--it behaved the same way you describe. I found that I have to hold the button for at least two seconds for it to work.

Mpawelko

Badlands
First Name
Mikr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Did you get this figured out? I got my badlands today and am having the same issue. Can’t get it to work no matter what I try

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did you get this figured out? I got my badlands today and am having the same issue. Can’t get it to work no matter what I try
Do you have a Genie garage door opener? I do and followed one suggestion to program it with the garage door opener first, then go to your garage opener itself and press the programming button on that. That worked for me. You're not the only one who's had this issue so that's good news you'll probably be able to find a solution somewhere.

Mpawelko

Badlands
First Name
Mikr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Unfortunately I don’t have an opener. It’s a recent installation and the tech just programmed my old cars when he was here

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Do you have a Genie garage door opener? I do and followed one suggestion to program it with the garage door opener first, then go to your garage opener itself and press the programming button on that. That worked for me. You're not the only one who's had this issue so that's good news you'll probably be able to find a solution somewhere.
This is what I have done in the past as well.

OP
OP
Outback Texan

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
No. It is still not working. I am just using the garage door remote.

OP
OP
Outback Texan

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I do have a Genie garage door opener and a Genie remote programmed to it. I can not program my Homelink from the remote OR the garage door opener.

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I do have a Genie garage door opener and a Genie remote programmed to it. I can not program my Homelink from the remote OR the garage door opener.
This is the tip I followed exactly, from the big Bronco forum:

"I've been beating my head against this with Genie opener- it turns out that my overhead unit requires that after you do the whole visor pairing - you have to press a button on the overhead unit to complete the pairing."

So I'm not saying you need to try both separately. I followed all steps to pair with the remote and then went and pressed the button on the motor. Make sure you clear all of the buttons first and start from scratch.

Mpawelko

Badlands
First Name
Mikr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I’m using an app to do it for now

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

Steps in this video worked for me. I tried it first though with the existing remote pairing, I’m not sure if you can skip that step or not. That was all I needed to do with an ancient craftsman opener, but anything made in this century should be new enough to need the 2nd half of the video putting the opener into learn mode.

https://www.overheaddoor.com/homelink

Largely the same instructions from my garage door opener as the Ford video, but I had to watch their video to even figure out how to get it into learn mode. That part wasn’t as easy as I expected.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Some openers incorporate "rolling code" technology to prevent remote code theft. Opener remotes send a digital code to the receiver in your opener. If the code is correct the receiver directs the opener to open/close the door. Simple remote control systems use a fixed code that never changes. An attacker with an appropriate receiver could "listen" when you transmit and record the code. They can then replay the code using their own transmitter to open your garage door. Rolling code systems change the code every time you use the transmitter, thus preventing an eavesdrop code attack described above. Openers that use a rolling code transmitter/receiver require the extra programming steps noted by Tracy and Mike.

Note in the video where it describes pushing the transmitter button twice for two seconds each time. If you pay attention a text note pops up for just a few seconds that says you may actually have to do this three times. That was the case for my opener, so be aware.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/keys-and-locks/garage-door-opener/how-do-i-program-my-homelink-universal-garage-door-opener/

I tried both methods shown on Ford's support website and neither would work...

so I tried the combination of the Intellicode and Intellicode2, which is similar to the video posted by MJE, except I must use the Intellicode2 video method to program the Homelink button first. Then go to the garage opener to get it into programing mode. Then back to my car quickly to do the Homelink button for 2 seconds THREE times. then it worked!

thanks Mark S.!! that did it!

btw, I have Genie Silent Max 1000 garage opener. some different model may have a different way to program.

I just know this can be frustrating. I remember I tried to do this years back when we first got the rolling code opener on one of my new car....an hour later I had no luck. I talked to my cousin who got a similar car also had no luck.....so I gave up for years trying to program a Homelink with the rolling code type opener. I guess either they updated or I just never got the right method.

the funny thing is....I just now programed my other car which is 3 years old now :crackup:

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I was able to program my homelink in the 22 Bronco today after putting a new battery in my remote opener. I just followed the instructions and everything worked. Previous to putting in the new battery my attempts at programming failed.

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge, 2024 Bronco Sport Badlands
This is an older thread so I am posting here for anyone who might have trouble getting their homeIink programmed have a 24 Bronco Sport and a Genie garage door opener. I could not get the programming to work based on the instructions in the owners manual or the genie garage door opener manual no matter how much I tried. I needed to plug in all the information regarding the vehicle and the garage door opener on the Homelink site and follow the video to program the Homelink buttons. The video instructions were different from the owners manuals and with using the video I was able to get the programing done in a few minutes.
Sponsored