mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I'm looking at possibly getting a hitch step (if/when I get my order!) for some extra rear protection as well as I think it would be handy reaching stuff when I eventually get a roof rack and all that.

Now I have a question that might be silly but I can't seem to find an answer.

I know the max tongue weight on the hitch is 220 pounds. But, I currently weigh a bit more than that. Not a lot, but some, lol. The step I'm looking at has a max weight limit of 350 pounds, so no issue there. Should I avoid fully standing on the step? Or just for extended amounts of time? I don't want to damage anything when I can just as easily get a little step ladder or something when I get a roof rack.
Sponsored

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Tongue weight isn't quite the same as how much weight you can safely put on the hitch for a short time

Tongue weight has more to do with the suspension and load on the rear tires during extended towing than it does with how much vertical force the hitch itself can support. Tongue weight is usually 10% of the total towing capacity.

At any rate, I wouldn't stress about stepping up on something attached to the hitch. Don't go crazy, but I doubt you're going to damage it. I'm planning on doing the same thing and I'm not light. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I'm just a random person on the internet, after all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mindleak

mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Tongue weight isn't quite the same as his much weight you can safely put on the hitch.

Tongue weight has more to do with the suspension and load on the rear tires during extended towing than it does with how much vertical force the hitch itself can support. Tongue weight is usually 10% of the total towing capacity.

At any rate, I wouldn't stress about stepping up on something attached to the hitch. Don't go crazy, but I doubt you're going to damage it. I'm planning on doing the same thing and I'm not light. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I'm just a random person on the internet, after all!
That's kind of what I was thinking based off what info I could find, thank you!

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So throwing on a 60lb mototote and a 350lb Flatracker bike would be alright. My 2019 kia sorento handled it I can't see how this BS would not be capable of doing the same.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I don't think any human could damage the hitch just by standing on it for a minute. You should be totally fine.

GJarrett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport, 2017 EcoBoost Mustang
You'll be fine stepping on it.

The tongue weight limit is way below the weight that it will take simply standing on it. Think about it: 200lbs becomes a LOT more when driving over bumps etc. If you really just weigh "not a lot, just some" over 200 lbs you will be fine - unless you plan to step on it and then jump up and down on it as hard as you can for a thousand times.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
So throwing on a 60lb mototote and a 350lb Flatracker bike would be alright. My 2019 kia sorento handled it I can't see how this BS would not be capable of doing the same.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-327755.html
If this google is right, depending on model/engine, the Sorento has a fair bit higher tongue weight. Of course if tongue weight is 10% of towing capacity it makes sense, larger car larger engine & all. But then it makes you wonder, beyond OPā€™s step question, is tongue weight the right number to determine what you can hang off the hitch while driving? Iā€˜d have thought so, but with 200lbs in the BS then youā€™re limited to a hitch rack & pedal bikes.

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
https://www.etrailer.com/question-327755.html
If this google is right, depending on model/engine, the Sorento has a fair bit higher tongue weight. Of course if tongue weight is 10% of towing capacity it makes sense, larger car larger engine & all. But then it makes you wonder, beyond OPā€™s step question, is tongue weight the right number to determine what you can hang off the hitch while driving? Iā€˜d have thought so, but with 200lbs in the BS then youā€™re limited to a hitch rack & pedal bikes.
exactly which doens't make sense, I have the 1.5in RC suspension installed, ground clearance isn't the issue, I stand on the back of my hitch and it doesn't budge, had both my wife and I stand on it and it barely moves (around 350lb the both of us), I have trouble seeing where the issue would be with loading a mid 300lb bike on the back with a 60lb carrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I don't think any human could damage the hitch just by standing on it for a minute. You should be totally fine.
This guy may make the BS hitch cry:

Ford Bronco Sport Hitch step weight limit? 1687779835091
Sponsored