Hitch Cargo Basket or Roof Mount Cargo Basket?

Spike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
I am down sizing my vehicle with a BS and expect there will be times I will need more cargo capacity. I am debating the hitch cargo basket or the roof mount cargo basket and wondering which one is more practical. Although I have always had a roof rack for canoes, paddle boards, and skis I have never used a cargo basket.

At first glance the hitch mount seems easier to load and unload but it blocks access to the hatch. The roof mount is out of the way but wondering how the load would affect handling with the additional drag. Any comments on your experiences would be appreciated.
Sponsored

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
I went with a hitch carrier. Found an aluminum 500# capacity one for $99 at Harbor Freight. It can be useful for stuff too big or dirty to put inside, but not big enough for my 5 x 8 trailer.

Cjanzen

Big Bend
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Love the looks of the roof Mount however it's much more expensive and less ease of use

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
We have always used a hitch carrier. Blocking the hatch has never been a big problem. It's so much easier to access the stuff on the hitch carrier vs on the roof.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have them both and utilize them as needed. I leave my roof rack on unless I want to put the RTT on and use my hitch carrier as needed. Yes when loaded you loose the hatch but you still have access thru the window hatch. But having the hitch carrier is nice to throw the cooler on, stuff you don't want inside, or too heavy to go on top. I got the harbor freight for $119 and it folds up when not in use.

Ford Bronco Sport Hitch Cargo Basket or Roof Mount Cargo Basket? 20210829_092733

Ford Bronco Sport Hitch Cargo Basket or Roof Mount Cargo Basket? 20210829_092925

OP
OP
Spike

Spike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
I have them both and utilize them as needed. I leave my roof rack on unless I want to put the RTT on and use my hitch carrier as needed. Yes when loaded you loose the hatch but you still have access thru the window hatch. But having the hitch carrier is nice to throw the cooler on, stuff you don't want inside, or too heavy to go on top. I got the harbor freight for $119 and it folds up when not in use.

Ford Bronco Sport Hitch Cargo Basket or Roof Mount Cargo Basket? 20210829_092733

Ford Bronco Sport Hitch Cargo Basket or Roof Mount Cargo Basket? 20210829_092925

The fold up feature is nice and the 750 lb load capacity may be the difference maker for me. Thanks for sharing.

NJBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Have you ever ran into the license plate blockage issue? Is the plate visible folded up? This look like a greta option.
Sponsored